TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 shoulder pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  14:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone suffered upper arm/shoulder pain where you cannot lift your arm very high? I have had this since January and now the other arm is starting to hurt at the same time! Thanks for any help.

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  15:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had that in 1995 and I think the doctor I saw at the time called it "frozen shoulder". A physical therapist treated me and it came right over a period of weeks.

This was way before I knew about TMS and it was at the time that I had just developed RSI (really TMS) in my arms. I was under loads of stress from pressuring myself to do well in my postgrad studies.

Tunza
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  15:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tunza. Are you suggesting therapy?
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  16:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frozen shoulder occurs over a period of time when you feel shoulder pain or discomfort and unknowingly restrict the range of motion. The muscles start to atrophy and then you cannot move it freely.

Depending on the extent of the "injury" physical therapy might be prescribed. However, keep in mind the likely cause of frozen shoulder in the first place is TMS, so it may be enough to simply treat it as such, and that means ignoring the pain and not restricting your physical movements.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  20:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I am a patient of Sarno and will call him tomorrow. Maybe that's why it is also in the other arm. It's the pits!
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  23:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a coincidence! I was just going to post something on this same subject when I saw the heading. Just tonight at work I was in the gym for a few minutes lifting wts and after a particular movement I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder and then it began to stiffen up and I couldn't raise it very high without extreme pain. I loaded up on ibuprofin and I feel a lot better now. This was only about 3 hours ago.

Okay, I had this very same injury 2 yrs ago; same shoulder, exact same spot, and it took several months to get back to 100%. I went to many session of PT and had the works--ultrasound, TENS, ice, heat, stretching, strengthening...Somehow, I don't think any of that made the slightest difference in the recovery.

I don't know about "frozen shoulder"; my dx was rotator cuff injury. Yes, I know Sarno says that is TMS and he may be right. But it takes a real leap of faith for me to say that instantaneous sharp pain and then the stiffness, espec as it occurred while lifting wts, could not be a real injury. I am further hampered by maybe knowing too much about anatomy and sports injuries. I know the four muscles that comprise the rotator cuff and could logically see how a tear could cause a problem.

On the other hand, I know personally several people who have had rotator cuff tears. Two are my co-workers. They had the surgery and are fine. One of my brothers got it, also while lifting wts. He had an MRI, which confirmed a tear, but he left it alone. Eventually it healed and he is back to lifting heavy wts. My 18 yo nephew got it from wts and wrestling. He too got much better, though he is still bothered by it from time to time. When I had it 2 1/2 yrs ago it must have taken 6 or more mo to get back to 100%.

I would sure like to think this is TMS rather than physical injury, but the circumstances make that difficult.

Ironically, I have been doing the rotator cuff exercises and stretches the PT gave me fairly regularly for the past two yrs. Something else: this time I was involved in a physical activity when injury occurred. The first time it occurred 2 1/2 yrs ago, I was sitting in an office talking to someone when it occurred. I was not doing a thing when I felt the sharp pain and subsequent stiffness.

I don't know if I have enough faith to say this is TMS, but one thing I do feel strongly: I really don't think PT does much of anything for this. On the other hand, it's enjoyable and relaxing so it might be worth doing for that reason.

I would be interested to hear from others who have had this extremely common condition.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  07:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belive "frozen shoulder" takes a very long time to develop. You would need to restrict the range of motion of the shoulder for many months. In any case, the PT basically consists of very painful exercises to force the shoulder to slowly go where it doesn't want to go. You could probably try to start doing this on your own.

However don't rule out the possibility that there is no atrophy, and it's just clever TMS at work.

As for rotator cuff tear, keep in mind MRI is a miraculous technology that shows incredible detail. So much detail, in fact, that a tear could be diagnosed when in fact there is nothing more than scar tissue.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  08:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to try PT. I do alot of writing and typing at my job. Dave I do agree with you so I am going to try to continue the Sarno approach. It started out hurting alittle and I stopped using the shoulder. Thank you too wrldtrv.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  14:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you are a patient I encourage you to give him a call. That is one of the great benefits of being his patient.
Go to Top of Page

Indy

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  15:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joela

My experience with the shoulder and upper arm pain that you describe has much to do with emotional energy that you're holding there. Have you been feeling particularly burdened by the events in your life lately? Have you felt like screaming, but haven't? Feeling overwhelmed by life may be in part contributing to the discomfort. If so, visualize in your mind in some way the life pressures that you are feeling, and then scream, as if letting the energy release from your body (seriously). You may also try visualizing striking out with that arm at whatever is bothering you. If you haven't injured your shoulder, it's about energy that needs to be released. That is my experience.

Cheers
Indy
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  15:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try it!! I think what frightened me is that the area in the other arm started to hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Indy

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to practice what I preach. Both my shoulders are bothering me the last few days. They are stiff, sore and hurt when I move them a certain way. I am feeling some burdens. You may also try writing - give yourself permission to write whatever you need to. Let the "uglies" surface. Say exactly what you need to say. Don't be nice. Get it out. Good luck.

Cheers
Indy
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  08:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joela

I'm going to try it!! I think what frightened me is that the area in the other arm started to hurt.

You should re-read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain, particularly those sections including feedback from patients who have had TMS recurrences in different areas and didn't think to call Dr. Sarno about it. One even went ahead and had surgery before finally calling him.

It is a fundamental aspect of TMS for it to move to different parts of your body. I think you need a refresher course.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  09:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave and Indy. Everyone keeps telling how bad it is to have a frozen shoulder so of course the fear sets in. I still have not been able to get rid of the ringing in the ears so there is always t he fear that nothing goes away!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000