TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Game show host with "RSI" from telephone...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  13:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pathetic story--and sure to convince many other people that they have the same problem. I wonder what people who actually do physical labor for a living think of this jackass... From the Evening Standard in London:

This is
LONDON
22/06/06 - Showbiz section

Noel picks up 'telephone elbow'
By Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard

Noel Edmonds is suffering from repetitive strain injury because he has to keep picking up the phone on his show Deal Or No Deal.

The 57-year-old TV star was diagnosed with the unusual occupational injury after he complained of agonising pain in his right elbow.

His consultant said it must have been caused by repeatedly answering a heavy telephone as part of the popular Channel 4 game show. Edmonds said: "It's a bit ridiculous, but I am in agony.

"After 40 years in entertainment, I can at last boast that I have suffered an industrial injury."

In Deal Or No Deal contestants play to win up to £250,000 hidden in sealed boxes.

Periodically the players receive a call from "the Banker", a shadowy character who negotiates to buy their box.

It was picking up the phone to answer the Banker's calls that apparently caused Edmonds's injury.

He said: "The phone is pretty heavy and I have to pick it up a dozen times a show.

"We shoot three shows a day and it got so painful that I could hardly pick the bleeding thing up.

"I didn't know what was wrong so I went to a consultant in Bristol last week and she diagnosed it as repetitive strain injury, rather like tennis elbow.

"She said she was a huge fan of the show and was sure that it must be from picking up the phone."

Edmonds's ailment will not affect the filming of the show - he has been instructed to use a new technique to pick up the handpiece and a camera angle has been changed so it does not look strange.

Earlier this month Edmonds said he had seen a string of "wishes" come true after placing his faith in a German book called Cosmic Ordering Service. These include his plea for a "new challenge", which he says came in the form of the show.

The presenter has now signed a £500,000 deal to write self-help book.

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  16:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad to see things like this publicized, but pretty typical. I have pretty much decided I don't believe in RSI except as a form of TMS. I hope he's able to figure out what's bothering him (maybe he unconsciously hates the show now?) rather than waste money and time on mostly useless treatment. I recently wrote a check for $600 to what I hope will be the last doctor I ever see for "RSI"...I felt great knowing that my medical expenses for that have ended.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  08:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DrZiggles...I wrote to you b4 but not sure you received it..I was wondering if you could check out some of my posts from this past month (June) and comment..Your comments i have seen to others seem very helpful and I am right smack in the middle of a bad bout of TMS in my neck..One of the main things i am struggling with now is getting my neck to move again, especially looking up without doing physical therapy per se...I don't want to focus on the physical but instead the psychological but i am afraid about muscle atrophy, etc...Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000