TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Focus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  10:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know TMS is a distraction. It has been shown that when we have another suitable distraction in our lives (for example, a family emergency) the pain may diminish.

Yesterday I was faced with a minor emergency of sorts, and was forced to clear my mind and take care of the things that had to be done. I told myself there is no room for anxiety, no time for worry; those feelings serve no purpose now. The situation needed to be taken care of, and it was time to focus on the moment and forget about everything else.

This was not a comfortable situation by any means, but after it was over I felt a certain clarity; a sense of accomplishment; a sense of empowerment. I successfully lived in the moment and refused to be distracted by "worthless" thoughts.

It occurred to me that when you have something to truly focus on, then there may be no need for TMS symptoms. Then I got to thinking, a lack of focus in your daily life could have the opposite effect. If you find yourself drifting through the day, not really focusing on whatever it is you're doing at the moment, there is a danger of the unfocused conscious mind wandering into the unconscious rage resivoir, and thus the brain might induce TMS symptoms to serve as a distraction.

Focus also ties into self-esteem issues, for example, take your job. If you truly love your job, focus on the tasks that need to be done, that focus turns into positive energy as you get things done and feel good about yourself. Conversely if you're in a rut at work, at the end of the day you probably feel pretty bad about yourself for not having accomplished much.

Just a thought ... focus as much as possible on the moment; whatever you're doing, put all your energy there. Give your mind something to do, so there will be no need to serve up a distraction. During those moments, you just may find that the TMS symptoms vanish.

johnfindlay

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  11:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent topic: I went freelance 3 years ago-basically working for myself-doing the things I want to do[theoretically]-however I
have a real hard time staying focused-I thought my carpel tunnel[or whatever] would subside after leaving a negative job but it didnt really, until I read Sarno's work recently[Im still in the early stages of"getting" the whole thing.]

Thanks for the insight.

JF
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  12:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great analysis - Dave. I found that I was so engrossed on the computer last night that my pain just went away without me even realizing it.
I think the focus serves as a distraction so one can more successfully ignore the pain. Sometimes, ironically - even though I find the messages on this board so useful and interesting - it makes me focus on the TMS - so I find myself thinking about the pain! I really have to limit my time here!
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  13:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

You are so right! I'm a freelance photographer and when I'm engrossed in my photo shoot I don't notice my symptom (dizziness) at all. It's when I'm bored and have time to think about it. When I'm at the gym and I'm on the treadmill, if there is someone to talk to and keep my mind off my thoughts I have no problems. If I'm left to walk on the treadmill alone, I keep thinking "I hope I don't get dizzy" and sure enough I do! Interesting stuff.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

menvert

Australia
133 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2004 :  01:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have noticed focus to be very pertinent.

when I used to work with my pain in computing(my pain being tendonitis type symptoms from typing) work presented me the most opportunity for pain.... YET whenever I had a weekend or a day off(ie , a chance to relax and not perform activities, which supposedly contribute to pain). I would actually experience greater pain than when I was actually working... I didn't hate my work, but I did not enjoy it greatly either basically, I think I put too much pressure on myself at work, which in the end led to TMS)... but it provided a lot more focus than when I was at home being miserable about my pain on the weekend.
Now that I have had to leave work & until I discovered covered TMS my pain did not get better... because I really have nothing in my life to focus on other than pain...

Also, more recently after discovering TMS... I find that doing the things I enjoy(playing computer games) despite the fact that it should be the last thing I should do from a physical point of view . actually can give me hours of painfree enjoyment, because I am completely focused on the fun I am having at the time and forget about my injuries...

The problem I have with using distraction(at least some types of distraction)... is that to me it seems not to resolve anything but to just delay... can be a bit like taking drugs to get away from reality... it is a great holiday... but for me is not a very permanent solution. But of course, I think a healthy distraction like actually having a girlfriend or a job I enjoy doing or even better learning not to focus on pain period would be very beneficial..

As sarno said somewhere ... that there is somewhat of a balance between... unconscious rage and activities in your life, which give you Joy(forget the actual wording).. basically meaning . if you have enough good positive, enjoyable interactions in your life, you can withstand a lot more unconscious rage before it tries to get out...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000