TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Pain again after no pain for > 1 yr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feelinggood

2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  21:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, let me say that TMS is real and Dr. Sarno has really discovered the real cause of back pain and other pain disorders. I know this for a fact because I had very bad, chronic back pain for about a year and a half and it COMPLETELY disappeared for over a year after reading his books. I mean, I was doing martial arts and other very intensive physical activities with ABSOLUTELY NO PAIN. So for all of you people just getting into Sarno and learning about this, stick with it- IT WORKS!!!

That being said, I just started a new job(that I dislike) last month, which is boring and feels stressful (although the money is good) and about two weeks into the job, I started getting some back aches again and they have developed into some major pains again. This has been going on for about 2 weeks. Well, I've been through this before and I know what it's like to be pain free and I know my back is healthy, so I don't expect this episode to last very long. I'm starting to do the necessary mental work to work through it. I'm sure the pain has everything to do with my new job.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience or relapse and how they handled it. Thanks.

anxo69

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  15:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See this is where I get lost , Why if you know the pain is from your job (which agrevates you),and know its tms, is it there? Would you have to quit the job to have it go away? Sarno says just knowing its from the deprived o2 is enough. not changing your lifestyle..

Im in similar situation is why I ask
Go to Top of Page

feelinggood

2 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  19:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the gym again today doing complex high muay thai kicks and some light sparring- NO PAIN. I wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep- NO PAIN. However, I start experiencing mild discomfort as soon as I show up to work (this new job) and I have some pretty bad discomfort and pain by about mid day. Then when I go to the gym and exercise, I feel the blood flowing and start to relax and I feel absolutely no pain, which proves that my back is fine, or how else would I be doing all this intense physical stuff? Right now, as I am typing this, I just have some mild tightness, but that's it.
Like I said I was completely pain free for over a year, and this included sports, biking, kayaking, rowing, etc. The first tinge started after two weeks on the job and the pain always seems to start up and get worse at work.
Now I'm thinking, should I just quit, or keep doing the mental work to get over this stumbling block as well? Any insights?
Go to Top of Page

Andrew2000

40 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  19:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an interesting passage of Sarno's MindBody Prescription, page 17 ..."While anger that is known to a person plays a role in the genesis of TMS when it is surpressed, it is not nearly as important as anger that is generated in the unconscious as a result of:
1. internal conflict
2. stresses and strains of daily life"

Jobs can bring a lot of stress ... which can cause a lot of anger; many times we have to "hold in" or "hold back" what we're feeling whether we're aware of it or not (e.g., we can't tell our bosses off the way we'd like to, or don't feel fully appreciated). This, in turn, causes us to get angry (on the inside) and bc we can't acknowledge it fully and/or let it out like we'd really like to, the rage builds up and TMS takes hold.

I think it's important to acknowledge that the rage is there (awareness) and then if you can, take some kind of positive action to release some of the anger (anything from expressing yourself more in ways that are possible on the job, releasing anger outside the job by working out or going to the gym -- and/or eventually finding a new job that is better suited to your needs).

I had a friend whose 2 year battle with excruciating back pain in a high-pressure office job ended instantly, on the day he quit and decided to become an elementary school teacher.

Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  22:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anxo69

See this is where I get lost , Why if you know the pain is from your job (which agrevates you),and know its tms, is it there? Would you have to quit the job to have it go away? Sarno says just knowing its from the deprived o2 is enough. not changing your lifestyle..

Im in similar situation is why I ask

Dr. Sarno says that you have to think through what is bothering you in detail. Narrowing the problem down to the job is not enough. I know I had to go into quite a bit of detail during my recovery. It was the childish, emotional detail that was important.

If doing this on your own does not solve the problem, then lifestyle change can be an option. Although Sarno doesn't think that this is typical of his patients, he does mention at least one case where a patient went through significant lifestyle change in order to recover.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Pendoreille

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  12:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the things that my TMS Therapist recently told me was that why the percentage has gone up in the new book for those needing therapy is folks often got it with reading the book, but then they had relapses, so may be some therapy would have helped them get it completely. I had so many issues that I just went with the therapist in the beginning. I don't like my job, and when I'm there I know it makes me angry. But I have this part time job that really is perfect for this stage in my life--great benefits, money, etc. And you rowed again? Can't say as I'll get there again, but I'm back in the pool. So one step at a time....
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  03:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to what I was reading in Arthur Janov’s book, “The New Primal Scream”, current stresses can make pain worse because they threaten to awaken old unconscious emotions / needs which have been repressed. The mind needs to fight harder to keep these old emotions repressed, and so needs more resources. Those resources are taken away from the body’s resources which are needed for its every day functioning. Hence pain or other dis-function results. (Even when there isn’t current stress the mind is using up resources which the body needs for its normal functioning – it just needs more resources if there is an imminent danger of the emotions coming to the surface.)

Those aren’t his words, just my interpretation (I can’t find the bit in the book at the moment).

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 04/22/2006 03:50:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  10:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can relate to what you describe, Feelinggood. I've recovered - TMS doesn't have the power to terrify me into thinking something awful is going to happen. From a life of increasing disability three years ago, I'm working at a job I really like, I'm driving again - I could go on and on with all the things I can do again that I thought were no longer open to me.

In fact I can safely say that I've come out the other end of this TMS journey a changed person. I truly believe that I have managed to force my unconscious mind to make fundamental changes in my personality. That's probably rubbish in scientific terms, but that's how it feels.

But, here's the thing - that TMS gremlin STILL gets me every now and again. I know it's TMS, I know it will pass, I'm not scared of it, but there's still something in me that is vulnerable to that gremlin.

My elderly aunt has had to go into a care home. I have had to arrange it all and I hate seeing her failing. You'd think because I have done so well that I'd be able to avoid any attacks at all, but there it was last week - sharp pains in the stomach area - something new!

I noticed it, acknowledged it, decided that I could safely assume it was TMS unless it persisted and got worse. The gremlin gave up later that day.

Do I still see myself as a success story? I certainly do. I can live with a minor episode every now and again.

I guess each of us has to, in a way, tailor our own recovery. I did make major changes in my life, many people have no need of that, but I'm glad I did. Having TMS was not a totally negative experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000