TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Arrhythmias
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  17:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following an acute panic attack of several days duration brought on by a nearly two week water fast (long story, suffice to say the anxiety coupled with my weakened state damn near killed me) I developed an arrhythmia....I assumed it was benign as I'd had a bit of experience with it before this, and I continue to make this assumption...I'm an athlete, run, bike etc. vigorously almost every day, so I guess if it weren't benign I'd know it by now...

This was two years ago now and it has been a very difficult road back. I undertook the fast in the first place in an attempt to heal my chronic fatigue, food allergies, hypoglycemia, blah, blah, blah, all things that I have come to believe are TMS equivalents...), but when all the dust had settled I was much, much worse...Had you asked me at the time which was more likely, that I would be dead in two years or that I would be substantially better, I would have said, hands down, that it was much more likely that I'd be dead..

But the human body,and the human mind( probably an exercise in futility to separate the two), are remarkably, even miraculously resilient, and two years on not only am I not dead, I'm healthier than I've been in years...This is not to say I'm "cured" (I'm not even sure what that means anymore), but I am, as I said, much, much better. I'm eating foods that previously would have made me desperately ill, have more energy, and just generally have made more progress than I would have thought possible...

No question, I owe much of this to Dr. Sarno's ideas and the support and collective wisdom of this forum.

The two most troubling things that I continue to deal with are anxiety and the heart thing...With respect to the anxiety, as difficult as it is to deal with at times, it too is much better than it was...Two years ago I was on the verge of panic for hours every day. Now it's more like I get a bit anxious a couple of times a day generally..There are even some days when I have almost no anxiety at all...Given where I was, this is truly remarkable progress...

But the palpitations remain..not as bad as they were, but troubling nonetheless. I know there are others on this forum who have dealt with this, in many cases successfully...It would be great to hear from some of you....There's no doubt in my mind really that fear is at the bottom of all this stuff...But simply knowing that is not enough...In fact, such an understanding can create problems of its own..For example, fear of fear can become a self-defeating, circular kind of thing that can be very tough at times to circumvent.

Many thanks in advance,
A.

FlyByNight

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  17:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is many kind of heart palpitations and you need to be tested for that .... there is a kind quite common that is often attributed to stress or TMS. It is calld 'extrasystols' . BAsically the heart skip one beat or can introduce an extra beat between two normal beats... Some people experience that with one palpitation per hour, others will experience many palpitations per minutes... The thing with extrasystols is that they are BENIGN.... it does not affect in any way your heart negatively, nor waken it, destroy it , etc..... you will not have an heart attack or a cardiac arrest... its benign and probably a TMS equivalent..

However,

if your palpitations are associated with a drastic and sudden increase of your heart beat, your definitely want to see a doctor as soon as possible ... this is other stuff.. believe me ...

I personnaly had extrasystols for 3 years to varying degree that stopped immediately when I began having my core TMS neck pain ...it sometimes come back for an hour , but since I know its TMS its stopping shortly.

hope this helps

P.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art--I would definitely agree with "Flybynight"; first stop should be the doctor's office to rule out anything physical. They would probably see your palpitations on an ekg, then, the question is, what's causing them?

I have my own palpitations story. About 15-20 yrs ago during probably an unusually stressful time (I'm generally stressed to some degree all the time) I developed palpitations. They went on for two or three days. These were not just occasional palpitations, but very frequent, every few seconds, it seemed, and they went on and on. I was very worried, but fortunately I was not as much of a hypochondriac as I am today. (That's another story. My hypochondria seems to have increased greatly in the past few years. I am 51 yo. Maybe it has something to do with getting older.) Anyway, I rode it out. I didn't go to the doctor and eventually the palpitations disappeared. Pure stress in my case.

Go to Top of Page

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  20:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art,

When I was in my early 30's I started noticing my heart was skipping a beat. I didn't pay any attention to it unless I was sitting still or laying down trying to rest.

I started worrying about it and went to the doctor. He hooked me up to a portable EKG that I wore for 24 hours. The results of the EKG showed nothing serious, probably stress.

I started running every day and forgot about it and it went away.

I would be will to bet yours will be caused by stress too. To be on the safe side go to the doctor and make sure.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  07:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had a cardiologist work up, including a stress test and Halter monitor?

Heart palpatations are a possible TMS symptom (I had them) but obviously you don't want to mess around when it comes to the heart.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  08:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave,

I did have a stress echo deal, running on a treadmill all wired up and he did some sort of sonogram or something after...I've not worn the monitor, though I did years back when I had something like this...I don't have any tachychardia or anything too scary...Naturally, I didn't get any skipped beats while on the tread...

I've actually been meaning to to the heart monitor thing, but I just keep putting it off...I guess I should, but I'm almost positive they're no big deal...

Truth is, I hate doctors..In my entire life, I honestly can't think of more than maybe once ot twice (stitches perhaps, things like that) where they've actually helped me with anything...often, they make things worse.

Go to Top of Page

Indy

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  09:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that heart irregularities, whether tachacardia or arrhythmia or ... most definitely are associated with repressed emotions. Not to say that a person doesn't have a real heart defect. From my own personal experience, every time that I experience either of these conditions or angina-like pain, it's associated with the "energy" of repressed emotions. I am a mindbody therapist and work with clients' energy fields all the time. Whenever I personally have a symptom or irregularity with my heart, I know that something very emotionally painful is trying to surface, and if I take the time to explore my feelings and release them, I can relieve the pressure around my heart and the symptoms go away. That certainly explains to me why two cardiac doctors and several tests could not tell me why I was having the symptoms that I was experiencing. It's taken me over 30 years to also figure out that the migraine headaches that I suffered with for that length of time were also associated with repressed emotional energy trying to surface, but I would keep "pushing" it down into the body and the pressure would build up in my neck and head. There is also a "pattern" with me that I would like to share. Whenever I have palpatitions in my heart, it is a warning sign to me that if I don't release the angry or grief that I am feeling at that time, that it will move up into my head and cause a migraine. In other words, it's energy that moves around in the body trying to express itself. When we don't let it out, it reeks havoc - back pain, migraines, palpatitions, cancer, IBS, you name it. The more painful the past traumas and the more repressed the energy, the more likely that the symptoms will be severe. The body is like a "pressure cooker" of emotions that have been building up for years because human nature predicts that we don't like feeling the pain again and we don't like dealing with the emotions that surface from the "here and now" life situations that unconsciously remind us of the past trauma(s). That's why the memories most often stay in the unconscious mind, and we have absolutely no idea what painful emotions could possibly be causing our problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000