TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizure & other TMS stuff
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  19:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know 2 people who have had what some Drs call "Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures" (PNES) when they have been stressed. This seems to me like an extreme version of TMS. I came across this interesting website that discusses PNES and also other things that can be psychogenic. Have a look at

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic403.htm

if you're interested. Here's an excerpt:

quote:

o Psychogenic (ie, nonorganic, functional) symptoms are common in medicine. By conservative estimates, at least 10% of all medical services are provided for psychogenic symptoms. These symptoms are also common in neurology, representing approximately 9% of all inpatient neurology admissions and probably an even higher percentage of outpatient visits. Common neurologic symptoms that are found to be psychogenic include paralysis, mutism, visual symptoms, sensory symptoms, movement disorders, gait or balance problems, and pain.

o For several neurologic symptoms, signs or maneuvers have been described to help differentiate organic from nonorganic symptoms. For example, limb weakness is often evaluated by means of the Hoover test, for which a quantitative version has been proposed. Other examples are looking for give-way weakness and alleged blindness with preserved optokinetic nystagmus. More generally, the neurologic examination is often aimed to elicit symptoms or signs that do not make neuroanatomic sense, eg, facial numbness affecting the angle of the jaw, gait with astasia-abasia or tight-roping.

o Every medical specialty has its share of symptoms that can be psychogenic. In gastroenterology, these include vomiting, dysphagia, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. In cardiology, chest pain that is noncardiac is traditionally referred to as musculoskeletal chest pain, but it is probably psychogenic. Symptoms that can be psychogenic in other specialties include shortness of breath and cough in pulmonary medicine, psychogenic globus or dysphonia in otolaryngology, excoriations in dermatology, erectile dysfunction in urology, and blindness or convergence spasms in ophthalmology.

o Pain syndromes for which a psychogenic component is likely include tension headaches, chronic back pain, limb pain, rectal pain, and sexual organ pain. Pain is, by definition, entirely subjective; therefore, to confidently say that pain is psychogenic is essentially impossible, and the term psychogenic is all but discredited in the pain literature. One could even argue that all pains are psychogenic; therefore, psychogenic pain is one of the most uncomfortable diagnoses to make. In addition to isolated symptoms, some consider certain syndromes to be at least partly and possibly entirely psychogenic (ie, without any organic basis). These controversial but fashionable diagnoses include fibromyalgia, fibrositis, myofascial pain, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and multiple chemical sensitivity.

Tunza

vikki

95 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while ago, I found another article that hints at TMS and the role of psychology/emotions ...

It's an article about "central sensitivity" (apparently a lot of people who treat "chronic pain" think this plays a major role in the problem) posted on a physical therapist's site:
http://www.barrettdorko.com/articles/morning_after.htm

While the author seems like a traditional, non-Sarno oriented physical therapist, I found this quote particularly interesting:

"`Miracle cures' are possible. Miracles are great, but they are even better if you have some idea of why they happened. It is more likely a central change involving some alteration in cognitions and emotions." (Emphasis mine.)
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  22:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tunza--very interesting excerpt, especially regarding neuro symptoms. Whether TMS or something else I can have had many of the neuro symptoms listed, eg, limb weakness (perceived rather than actual), pain, tightness, sensory symptoms... Of course I've checked out these out with the neuro doc, did all the tests and nothing. And knowing that I have an extreme sensitivity to any kind of bodily symptom anyway (long history of symptoms), it is no surprise to me that so many neuro office visits are psychogenic in origin (or whatever you want to call it).
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  19:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several patients with nonepileptic seizures, and most of them also had TMS symptoms such as back pain. I think they, in part, play a similar role, though people with NES usually have more difficult emotional problems, particularly a physical/sexual abuse history. They are notoriously difficult to treat, but I actually did well with one patient by essentially using TMS concepts, though not in name...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000