TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 'Psychosomatic pain' article
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lastlostmonkey

35 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

seeing Jim1999's post in the other thread I had a look for information about psychosomatic pain (which is, despite the word's negative connotations, what we are suffering from). I found this in the British Journal of Psychiatry. Good references at the end and a good basis for thinking that Sarno's ideas are not those of a lone wacko (not that that's what I think).

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/188/1/91

there's more if you just put 'psychosomatic' into google. Whole societies...

llm

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS is really "psychogenic" and not "psychosomatic." The difference is subtle, but psychosomatic implies that the pain is not real, that it is perceived. We know the pain is very real and has a physiological reason (i.e. reduced blood flow) but that its root is psychological.
Go to Top of Page

lastlostmonkey

35 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, OK, yes. The article doesn't seem to make a distinction, there is a mention of back pain without the corresponding disclaimer that it wasn't 'real' pain, so hopefully it's still relevant.

lastlostmonkey
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  22:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

psychosomatic implies that the pain is not real, that it is perceived.

Not necessarily. There are two definitions of psychosomatic. One is that the symptoms are imaginary. This is the definition you're using, and it is popular with the general public. The second definition is that there are real physical symptoms with a pscyhological cause. My medical dictionary and my psychology dictionary both define psychosomatic this way only. The article might be using psychosomatic in this sense.

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000