TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Success stories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vlada

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  07:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Would it be a good idea to have a special third forum (besides TMSHelp and suggestions) where each member who views him/herself as a treatment success can make a summary of his/hers recovery? Users could possibly outline what clicked for them, treatment strategies and so on. Having actual people detail their recovery could be a great reinforcement to new people coming to the forum.

Vladimir

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a great idea! Dave- what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

vlada

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  04:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrldtrv said:"Okay, now I'm curious about something. I'm wondering how many people who have no doubts about TMS and buy into it 100% and do all the reading, the journaling...have been completely cured. Because then, I could understand such confidence. But for the rest of us who have not seem such results, doubt seems natural."

That is why I was suggesting success stories forum. There is a lot of rehashing over and over thus adding "noise" to the forum. How did you do journaling, how did the pain go away... and so on. It is very frustrating, at least for me, to read such post and I bet that it is frustrating for readers who recovered to post over and over again tidbits about journaling, if pain went away slowly or dramatically, if they had doubts, or if they read 20 or 50 pages of Sarno books a day.

Lets agree on a template and ask people who have recovered to give it a good hour or two and write in detail about their recovery following the template. Template should include details about journaling strategies, book reading, doubts and clicks, pain alleviation progress and so on. So we can finally stop asking same questions over and over again.

I am surprised that everyone is so indifferent about this proposal.

Regards,
Vladimir
Go to Top of Page

gevorgyan

115 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  04:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am for!
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  10:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one get the most out of reading other peoples success stories and I think I learn more about TMS from them. But there must be some objections with this idea so lets hear them!
Go to Top of Page

ucreger

12 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  14:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one would benefit greatly from other's success stories. This is a great idea. I have been following the plan laid out in the mindbody connection in a letter that a patient wrote. A forum like you describe can only help.
Go to Top of Page

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  15:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Maybe the "completely cured" have moved on and don't visit the website often.

I would say I am vastly improved rather than completely cured and that has been over the last year so that would take alot of detailing.

There are posts on this messageboard where individuals have given lengthy advice on recovering - we could list the web addresses of these together.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  18:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scottydog

Maybe the "completely cured" have moved on and don't visit the website often.

All the more reason to capture a summary of their story before they disappear. I don't think the success stories necessarily have to be long if the author does not want them to be. They can just briefly summarize the most important aspects of their recovery.

The search function can also be used to find these stories but its not that efficient because everyone uses different subject titles to decribe their successes.

Newcomers can first visit the success stories and get a lot of useful info and perhaps would know what they need to do without posting the same old questions that seem to be repeats of the past.
Go to Top of Page

lastlostmonkey

35 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  04:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am for as well. I think it's a great idea. However I also think that we need to recognise that part of the function of a message board is not only to provide information but also to enable the person using it to communicate with others in a similar situation. So please don't be too hard on newbies who ask already asked questions, often we sort of know the answer but need reassurance that other people have faced this too. I know of other, unrelated, message boards where all questions have basically been asked and answered before and any new person is met with a grumpy 'search for old posts' response, which can be discouraging. But the success stories site is great. I think that even stories of people who had significantly reduced or were managing the pain using Sarno techniques would inspire me.

ta,

llm
Go to Top of Page

Swede

Sweden
13 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  05:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think that this is a great idea, especially to newcomers like myself to find inspiration and diagnosis.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  09:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the search feature of the forum to find what I'm looking for. Its all in there, more than 30% of the replies are from people that have or are in different states of recovery from TMS.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/search.asp

This searches the entire text of all the posts, not just the subject line.

I think making a seperate forum in the long run will not work, since then recovering TMSers will post questions to the success stories. This will just migrate the discussions from the main forum which will then become a ghost town.

Here are some ideas that would work:
---
(1) Make a list of the members names who have had success. The you can search for all posts for those members.

(2) Another method is called tagging. If a member wants to publish a success story, then the subject line starts with...

SuccessStory:

...no spaces and a colon on the end... then you can search all the subject lines for the tag and get a hit list of all success stories.

Here is a demo, take a test drive and see how it works...

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1606&SearchTerms=successstory:

(3) Someone creates a single topic for success stories, and each post is a single success story. The question becomes how to keep it from getting interspersed with questions from other members.
---
The search feature is your best bet.

Or better still, start at the last page of the forum and work your way forward. Remember, TMS recovery is a process that takes time in many cases.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 01/10/2006 10:44:29
Go to Top of Page

vlada

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not a seperate forum that is intended to be active as this one. It is something similar to Help and suggestions forum. People post their recovery stories and strategies, and so on. No discussion is encouraged or developed. Just an easy to read compilation of ever growing number of recoveries. As simple as that.

Dave, what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

n/a

560 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Stryder, I don't think it is a good idea as the discussion will migrate over to the other forum and create confusion.
Go to Top of Page

miehnesor

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  14:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lastlostmonkey

I am for as well. I think it's a great idea. However I also think that we need to recognise that part of the function of a message board is not only to provide information but also to enable the person using it to communicate with others in a similar situation. So please don't be too hard on newbies who ask already asked questions, often we sort of know the answer but need reassurance that other people have faced this too.

Lastlostmonkey- Yes I agree. I apologize for that comment. It is often useful to get the direct feedback on individual situations.
Go to Top of Page

lastlostmonkey

35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  06:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I apologize for that comment.

Hi,

no need to apologise!

I think people should search first, but not be discouraged if they don't or if they still want to ask the question anyway.

I like Stryder's tagging idea a lot too - but how would people know that they could use the tag? Can the web page be changed to read that at the top? Or could there be a permanent thread at the top of the list?

lastlostspider

llm
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vlada

It is not a seperate forum that is intended to be active as this one. It is something similar to Help and suggestions forum. People post their recovery stories and strategies, and so on. No discussion is encouraged or developed. Just an easy to read compilation of ever growing number of recoveries. As simple as that.

Hi Vlada,

Yes, it is a simple concept assuming that everyone follows the suggested ad hoc guidelines you describe. Who is going to enforce the guidelines?

But that is not reality on the web.

Case in point. Why is your suggestion post in the main "TMSHelp" forum and not in the "Help And Suggestions" forum? This is a suggestion isnt it? People will search the subjects of the TMSHelp forum and see a subject called "Success stories", and think this thread is a collection of success stories (there have been over 500 visits already!). But its not, is it?

Sorry, I was not meaning to be blunt or sarcastic, but you see my point don't you? The internet is anarchy. People will post where ever it is easiest for them regardless of what is best for the community of people who use it.

Now, if someone were to volunteer to be the editor, then a good solution would to to collect all the success stories from various members and create a "Success Story" web page on the tmshelp.com website. The same thing should also be done for a "FAQ" web page as well (yea, I know, HBP and MBP is the FAQ isn't it ;-).

The "Success Story" concept is a great idea but using a web forum to implement will lead to more anarchy.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 01/11/2006 16:28:29
Go to Top of Page

MaryB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a "success site" is a great idea as long as it is easy to find for us semi-literate computer types. Some of the most profound inspiration I get in not giving up on the "Sarno method" is the rereading of the testimonial letters in the back of HBP. The more pure success stories the better.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the review pages for Healing Back Pain on Amazon. As of this post there are 282 reviews, most of which are success stories.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1559279958/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/002-4958727-3418405?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Just skip over the few reviews of people that just don't get it.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 02/01/2006 17:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  22:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The undercover SuccessStory: tagging program has produced about 10 posts in its first month. Thank you to those how have picked up on the concept and I'm sure by your example that others will follow.

TMS Commandos? Rock, Rock On!

-Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 02/11/2006 22:45:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000