TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Food reactions and TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I was referred to this forum by a regular, my dad Wilf, and have been reading off and on for the last while, but this is my first post.

I initially encountered Sarno about 5 years ago after suffering chronic shoulder pain for 2 years. After reading both Healing Back Pain and The Mindbody Prescription, my shoulder pain completely dissappeared after about 6 weeks and I have remained pain-free ever since.

I have just recently begun to connect my food reactions to TMS and am in the process of "curing" myself. It's not going so well. My question is for those who have rid themselves of food reactions. Did you gradually reintroduce the offending foods, or did you just one day day "I'm going to eat whatever I want" and get yourself cured.

My approach has been a bit of both, and seems to have worked until I got to milk. I'm suffering terrible reactions that I'm trying to ignore, but I'm really quite uncomfortable.

I'm quite prepared to wait it out if it's supposed to get worse before it gets better. But I'm wondering if I should be avoiding the "bad one" while I work on the TMS part, or go back to taking digestive enzymes when I eat my reactive foods. I'm just worried that an avoidance strategy or a physical therapy (the enzymes) would prolong the "cure". I don't want to make milk my "bad guy", when it's really the TMS that's the "bad guy".

So should I stay the course, or change my approach?
Thanks in advance,
Mary Ann

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  13:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maryann,

This is one of my TMS equivalents. It seems to me that overcoming the problem involves beating the fear. I must admit that i have made amazing leaps and bounds - I can't even believe what I am eating. At this time of year, our office receives boxes and boxes of cookies and chocolates. Normally, I don't eat them because I think I can't. I stay nice and slim but have always felt frustrated and left out. This year - first year ever, I am eating what I want. I have had NO REACTIONS. UNBELIEVABLE! You know why? I have no fear. That is the key and I am not thinking about it. After all, the worry about the food just acts as a distraction - that is all the brain is looking for. It wants ONE HUGE DISTRACTION. This can come in the form of anything - pain is a fabulous one.

I started eating new things slowly and did not let myself think about it. It has taken a couple of months for me to eradicate the fear. Remember - the fear feeds into the conditioning. If you think you'll have a problem, your brain is conditioned to create one.
My food no-nos were: wheat,oats, sugar, milk, fruit, coffee, chocolate. This covers alot of food groups.
My reactions were: fatigue, acid stomach ache, mild acne, flushing of the face, digestive cramps, yeast infections.
Numerous doctors told me I had a yeast problem and couldn't eat sugar.
Now - well, I laugh at it all. It is only when one beats the fear, that one can laugh. I don't care if I get stomach problems or acne or anything - so guess what, I don't!!!!

After this food fest, I will definitely slow down as the only bodily change occurring is weight gain - and I hate that. I like being slim - can actually obsess about that. But that is the only reason to avoid lots of sugar and fat - just because it isn't that healthy.

I have waited 12 years to be able to eat like others. If I were you, I would keep reading the books and take it real slowly - just like exercise for the pain etc. don't do too much at once
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  14:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mary Ann,

I took the “little by little” approach. Assuming the reaction is smaller with small amounts of the food, I think it’s easier to deal with a reaction when it occurs if it’s smaller.

Well done, and thanks for posting – it’s always nice to hear success stories.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  14:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suz,
Thanks so much for your input.

Fear is definitely what I'm trying to tackle right now. Your history sounds really similar to mine. The list of foods I was told to avoid: wheat, dairy, sugar, soy, peanuts, corn, yeast, chocolate, coffee, citrus, bananas, and probably a few others I've forgotten. My reactions vary, but are mostly digestive, "foggy brain", and insomnia.

I also did a "yeast-free" diet that also avoided sugar, alchohol, fermented anything and molds. I felt better than ever by following that diet, so I thought it was physical and resisted the idea that it was TMS. Also, because my dad and sister get similar reactions from similar foods, I thought it was hereditary and thus physical.

But I really do believe it's TMS, due to when it all came on for me: two years ago after a move to another city to live with my fiancé and then being unemployed, with its resulting financial stress. I see now that the distraction was quite needed at the time. I'm very ready to give all that up.

Probably why milk is still bothering me, is because I'm still afraid of it--it gives me the worst reactions. Even though I've been talking to myself to say "it's just a distraction and I don't need that distraction any more."

I will try to be patient with myself in getting over the fear, and hopefully it will resolve soon. I've gotten over my fear of wheat and coffee and they no longer bother me, so I'm sure it will happen with the rest.

Thanks again,
Mary Ann

PS. As an aside, I find it really funny that the same week I started eating everything again, my hayfever type symptoms returned with a vengence (gone now). That TMS sure likes to move around!
Go to Top of Page

Mary Ann

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  14:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hildary,
Yes, that's a good idea--smaller portions. My discomfort now is probably due to the Xmas party I went to the other night. So many dips, just a bit too much milk at once. I'd probably do better by easing back into this!

Thanks
Mary Ann
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000