TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Question about muscle twitching
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if muscle twitches that move around to various parts of the body are TMS? It seems to me that it makes sense but I looked in Mindbody Prescription and couldn't find "muscle twitching" per se. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. I have a friend who was telling me the other day that he gets this twitching in, say, a muscle in his leg and then a bit later it's in another spot. I suspected TMS when he told me that. I don't know him well so I don't know if he has the TMS personality. I was going to loan him my book so that he could see if it sounded like him. Any thoughts?

Laura

P.S. He went to a neurologist and so far checked out okay but he says they may run more tests on him if it keeps up.

Carolyn

184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted on this same topic a while ago and it didn't seem that a lot of people had this symptom- but I do. I am pretty sure it is TMS as in my case it pops up when other symptoms are popping up. I will have very visible but not painful twitches at all different places on my body. It is very strange to watch. I also had all the neurological workups a while ago but they found nothing and I was told 'maybe its stress' which is now a big red flag for a TMS symptom to me.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

samthefish

23 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I focus on "psycological factors" my muscles often twitch just as the pain decreases.
My twitching almost always seems related to my symptoms getting better for some reason.
- samTheFish
Go to Top of Page

Tunza

New Zealand
198 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 1998 I experienced several months of almost continuous twitching all over my body (I mean I would get one twitch here and the next minute a twitch there so I never knew what would twitch next).

It's not like the twitch in one eye where the same place twitches for a while which is why I think it's an overreaction of the whole nervous system (and therefore can definately be TMS).

My GP checked me over but when I told him I had been having a bad time with panic attacks for the last few months he said it wasn't worth having a neurologist check me over because he was so sure it was stress (anxiety) related. Sure enough, it went away not long after my panic attacks subsided (I had therapy for these).

I still get these twitches sometimes but they never last for more than a few minutes. Maybe this is because they don't worry me at all now.

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

rage

7 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  12:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to dr sarno about two weeks ago he said muscle twitches are TMS for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  16:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muscle twitches or muscular treppe is caused by the same bio-chemical activity that Sarno sites as the cause of Pain in TMS...Lactic acid build-up,oxygen debt.

Biological Psych was NOT an easy alternative to Chemistry!

-piggy

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  22:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twitches are scary because they can be benign (anxiety, etc) or very serious (neuro disease); that's why they should probably always be checked out. I have had various bouts of twitching over the years. Once my tricep started twitching for several hours, another time a bicep, other body parts. Recently, I went through a couple of months of sporadic twitching (more like quick jerks) that occurred only when I was dozing off in bed. I had everything checked out because I was experiencing other symptoms as well. The neurologist said that in my case the twitching was probably what's called "myoclonic discharges". Benign.
Go to Top of Page

icelikeaninja

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-----When I focus on "psycological factors" my muscles often twitch just as the pain decreases.
My twitching almost always seems related to my symptoms getting better for some reason.
- samTheFish----------

Sam I understand completely. Yesterday as my pains were subsiding I got wierd twiches in the places they use to be and a few new places as well.
But when I get the muscle twiitching it means that I wont have any pain for a few hours.
I didnt know how to say this but you took the words out of my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  04:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice muscle twitches more frequently, and I am convinced it is TMS. It's TMS on the run, trying to find someplace to call home. Now that I know better, so far it's not turned into a full blown spasm of any sort.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2006 :  14:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad I found someone writing about this unusual symptom...I am dealing with a bad bout of neck, nerve TMS..It started one month ago and i have been unable to drive and house bound ever since..It does seem that when i am in a healing mode, namely when the pain in the arms and fingers is subsiding, I will get twitches in my neck...It's almost like my nerves are re-routing themselves or finding new pathways..I wouldn't necessarily call it 'muscles' twitching, but it may be..It just feels like it is nerves causing it...I remember a Nucca chiropractor telling me once that after his neck injury he had twitches for a lond time, but eventually they went away and they are nothing to worry about...I had 2 Nucca adjustments when this first happened again a month ago..Since then I am trying to stay away from anything that reinforces the 'physical' diagnosis and focus on my emotions instead...Progress is slow but steady...One of the other reasons i decided against Nucca again was because afterwards a startle reflex i had a year ago was back and my head even moved on it's own a couple of times when i wasjust laying in bed..Very scary..That has all since stopped but the twitching still happens in a fleeting way...And i get it in my fingers and other parts of my body on occasion...ANy comments are welcome...:) and I hope this helps you feel better about your symptoms if you are still dealing with them...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000