TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Belief
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SkyeWest

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  10:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, how do you convince yourself when in excruciating pain to believe that it is emotionally caused?

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  11:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no one answer to that question, SkyeWest.

Do you think that your pain is likely to be psychological in origin? If you do, what I'd do is get a hold of some really stong analgesics and when the pain lessens enough to allow you to consider what is going on, I'd make a list of all the 'fors' and 'againsts' - write down the evidence.

Maybe you should tell us more about what is going on with you and then we'd be able to discuss it more easily.

Best wishes

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  18:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“How do you convince yourself when in excruciating pain to believe that it is emotionally caused?”

What a great question. I am amazed that it hasn’t appeared on the forum before.

I was convinced when I started to achieve my short-term goal as recommended in Fred Amir’s book.

I could not climb stairs with all the sciatica pain without holding on to the banister and then it took me forever. My short-term goal was to climb the stairs without holding on. My long-term goal was to do them two at a time without holding on.

Excruciating pain, yes indeed. It was sheer willpower to get up that first step without holding on. I think that it took several days. But, once I made the first step, the second took no time at all. It was obvious then that the pain was TMS and not physical. Once I was convinced, it seemed that the TMS gave up and before the week was out, I was climbing all the stairs unassisted. From excruciating pain to do one step to doing all the steps without pain in one week. What further proof does one need?

In summary, once you see progress you will be convinced. Set a short-term goal to challenge the pain and see how you do.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  16:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi SkyeWest,

I remember, 10 years ago, having to crawl from the bedroom to the bathroom because I could not walk. I spent weeks in bed unable to do anything at all. In effect, disabled for a short period of time, unable to work.

Last week I loaded and stacked hundreds of pounds of bricks and concete blocks. I drive 500+ miles a week back and forth to work.

This is how it went down for me.

(1) 30 years of LBP (low back pain) that used to come and go. It made no sense that the pain would come and go.

(2) The docs could find nothing seriously wrong with me, except for the pain, and the foregone conclusion of a handful of imaging studies (XRays, MRIs). No one could explain why I had been in pain for so long. They offered up NSAIDs, other than that no real explanation or solution. "Sorry, we don't have all the answers." If you don't fit the Lets-operate-on-you-right-away mold, your are discarded by the system, stuck in PT or "pain management". In the case of TMS related pain, most docs are clueless.

(3) My personality type fit the TMS profile.

(4) What is pain? Pain is a construct/concept of your living mind. The pain is your brain getting your attention. That's the purpose of pain, to get your attention. In the case of TMS, our brain has gone awry and used this mechanism to hide repressed anger, pain as a distraction. Effective ploy. See, it got your attention, didn't it.

(5) The first time I read "Healing Back Pain", it was like being born again. In every page I saw myself, it finally all made sense. The long search was over, now onward to healing.

(6) Within 6 months I was 85% cured, within 2 years 99%.

(7) I now realize and admit my childhood was crap. I can feel my anger today. It makes me mad, and sometimes it makes me depressed, but my pain LBP is history. A fair exchange.

Got Sarno?

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 11/14/2005 16:36:54
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  17:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Stryder,

Allan
Go to Top of Page

Suz