TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone recovered from extended NUMBNESS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

birdpant

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm new to all this.

I think I likely have a TMS diagnosis. My basic big question is:

Can anyone here report having limb numbness that went away with Sarno's treatment? I've had severe low back pain since february (after trying to lift the tongue of an airstream trailer off of a friends hand) and one week ago, after hanging upside down on a trapeze (I teach circus arts, so this is normal activity for me) the top of my right thigh went numb (same side where I have back pain), and it hasn't gone away. Just stays numb.

Would VERY MUCH appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with this.

Thanks,
Laura

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  07:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

HI Laura,

I haven't suffered from numbness myself but do a search on this site and it comes up in alot of previous messages.

Anne

Scottydog
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  15:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced months of numbness in my foot and calf that accompanied my LBP and sciatica (left side).

Basically, the tight muscle ricktus that is causing your back pain is compressing the nerve, or the nerve itself is effected by TMS-based oxygen deprevation.

Regardless, if your are diagnosed with TMS and treat the pain as TMS, your stand a good chance that the numbess will reslove itself over time. Just follow the TMS program as laid out by Dr. Sarno, get examined by a TMS doc to rule out any serious condition, and if you come up clean then start doing the psychological work.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

drziggles

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  16:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a problem called meralgia paresthetica, which is an abnormality of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. While there are various medical causes, such as diabetes, in my experience it can be a TMS equivalent. You should be checked by a physician to make sure it's nothing more serious, but TMS is a definite possibility.
Go to Top of Page

birdpant

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  02:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

THANK YOU THANK YOU for your responses... re: meralgia paresthetia - I found a diagram on the web and that is exactly the location where I am experiencing the numbness. The back pain is in my lower back on the right side - but that's been there since trying to lift the @#&*^ Airstream back in february.

The numbness came on instantly, after hanging by my hips on a trapeze. The nerve goes right through the hip.

I will be so glad to finally see a TMS doc about all this, to either determine it is something structural or else rule that out and get moving with the TMS treatment. I can't really go forward until I have someone I trust examine me.

Thanks to both of you so, so much, for your responses. -- Laura

Go to Top of Page

sikocycles

13 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had LBP sciatica,numb toes and loss the stregnth in my right calf. The LBP,sciatica and numb toes are gone. The sciatica flairs up a litttle everyonce in a while. The stregnth in my calf is coming back slowly. Hang in there.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2005 :  17:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Laura,
I had meralgia paresthetica for a few months this last summer. I was pretty freaked out by it but then read on page 61 of Sarno's book The Mindbody Prescription, that it can be TMS. When I went on vacation to Maui for a week it really decreased but then increased when I returned. So thinking this was a clue to it being TMS, I went ahead and treated it as such and it gradually went away entirely after 3 to 4 months. I also stopped sitting with my left leg up which could have also triggered the numbness. I don't know but it did seem to get worse the more I worried about it.
Hope this is helpful.

--Lisa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000