TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Fragmented sleep - rapid recovery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garystil

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2021 :  22:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’d been suffering fragmented sleep for a couple of months and couldn’t see an end to it. I would go to sleep and suddenly wake up after only two hours. This was usually accompanied by an urge to urinate. Why was I waking up after two hours when I was previously a good sleeper for at least six hours?

I’ve addressed some of my TMS problems in the past with non-TMS solutions. I’m not entirely sure what category this falls in.

Before the fragmented sleep began, I was having naps in the afternoon. Each time my wife would wake me, I would ask her “How long have I been asleep - one or two hours?” She would answer 5 or 10 minutes. What??! I’d be in shock and check the clock to confirm it. This happened constantly and I felt that I could no longer trust my perception of time.

There had been a disruption to my body-clock and I had to find a way to fix it.

I began counting one minute on a clock. I said to myself “That’s a minute and that’s what a minute feels like. I did another one minute’ count a short while later and recited the same thing.

As I went to bed, I told myself “I don’t want to sleep for 120 minutes (i.e. 2 hours); I want to sleep for 300 minutes.

I woke up 2 ½ hours later! I was pleased that I had progressed beyond 2 hours. The following night, I went through the same routine and I again woke up after about 2 ½ hours.

On the third night, I counted 5 minutes on the clock and said to my brain that this is what five minutes feels like. As I went to bed I told myself “I don’t want to sleep for 30 blocks of 5 minutes (i.e. 2½ hours); I want to sleep for 40 blocks of 5 minutes”. This time I slept for 3½ hours.

The progression continued with the more recent bed-time thoughts being “I want to sleep for 80 blocks of 5 minutes, or when the sun shines through the blinds”

Everything is back to normal. If the urge to urinate ever presents itself, I repeat at least twice “Now is not the time wake up; morning is the time to wake up” and unless the bladder’s full, the urge disappears quickly.

I found chocolate milk very disruptive to my sleep and yoghurt very beneficial. Beginning my sleep on the left side also appeared to be helpful. I'm posting this thread on both TMS websites.

Cheers,
Gary

Edited by - garystil on 05/17/2021 22:57:59

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2021 :  15:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a good article regarding sleep:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2022 :  08:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://blog.42courses.com/home/2021/8/30/you-snooze-you-dont-lose-how-to-sleep-like-cristiano-ronaldo

You snooze, you don't lose - How to sleep like Cristiano Ronaldo
Aug 30

The amazing benefits of Napping
Nick Littlehales is not the first to extol the virtues of power naps - Salvador Dali proclaimed naps as the key to his creativity!

And researchers from Harvard University found that midday napping (siestas) reduced coronary mortality by 37%.

The Harvard study found that people who regularly napped for 30 minutes, at least three times per week, had reduced their chance of dying by heart disease by over 1/3.

CR7 naps up to 5 times a day
On Littlehales’ advice, Ronaldo takes a '90-minute nap’ up to 5 times a day to aid repair and muscle growth to his superman-like physique.

According to Littlehales, a cycle of smaller bursts of power sleeping is how humans slept before we became dependent on artificial lighting via the invention of the lightbulb.

In fact, Littlehales is actually vehemently opposed to the idea of the elusive 8-hour sleep.

With such elite clients like Ronaldo clearly benefitting from the R90 napping/sleeping method, it’s hard to argue against it, even if it might seem counter-intuitive to our established thoughts on the ideal circadian rhythm.

However, Ronaldo is not a normal human being, and doesn’t lead a normal lifestyle like us mere mortals.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the biggest draw in global football, at 36 years old.

When most footballers would have retired, Ronaldo is still at peak performance.

Last season, he was the leading goalscorer in the Italian League, Seria A, with 29 goals for Juventus.

That brought his total to 81 goals scored in 98 games for Juve.

Quite incredible!

With CR7, it’s all about power in the numbers.

His signing by Manchester United means that he’ll be earning £480,000 a week.

To achieve the super-human fitness to create these numbers, apparently every day, Ronaldo eats double the calories of an average American man (probably better quality calories though, you’d think).

And he completes rigorous scientifically-designed exercise routines.

But he also gets expert help with his much needed shut-eye.

Cristiano Ronaldo Sleeping Secrets
Nick Littlehale's Sleep book R90 technique.png
Since his first stint at Manchester United, Cristiano has been advised by Sleep expert, Nick Littlehales on the benefits of quality sleep.

Littlehales is touted as the world’s leading sports sleep coach.

He has worked with numerous elite sport teams from British Cycling, Olympic teams, the NBA, the NHL, and England Rugby.

He developed the R90 technique which is made up of 7 Key Sleep Recovery Indicators.

This method leans much more into the power of napping throughout the day, as opposed to the traditional quest for that elusive 8 hours of undisturbed sleep.

All of the R90 approach is detailed in Nick’s book, Sleep.

https://blog.42courses.com/home/2021/8/30/you-snooze-you-dont-lose-how-to-sleep-like-cristiano-ronaldo

Edited by - tennis tom on 02/12/2022 18:31:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000