TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 question about tms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad it works for you, but just like some people think I am nuts when I point out Dr Sarnos theorys...I just can't buy the accupressure stuff.

Anything is wonderful when it works...and looking into my unconsious, and not trying to get around it, truely facing it head on, has made me a better person in general.

As they said in the Beatle movie, "Help"... "I am sure we can agree to differ"
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  21:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ssjs
Anything is wonderful when it works...and looking into my unconsious, and not trying to get around it, truely facing it head on, has made me a better person in general.
Sandy

It's the CONSCIOUS you get around.........not your unconscious. The talk therapist is helping me deal with the conscious emotions which aren't that painful. The accupressurist helps me deal with the emotions repressed for many years in my unconscious. Those are the ones that are painful and hard to bring up.............the very emotions that our brains "invent" TMS to keep hidden.
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  08:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
All of my emotions have to be addressed conscious, and unconscious! When I get a twinge, I immediatly go through what is bothering me. I actually start complaining in my head...actually wallow...in anything that might be remotly responsible...or not...and the pain goes away. I wouldn't want to have to make an appointment to do that!

Sometimes I think when I write, I sound like I am too sure of myself. I apologize for that. But i have really beaten this thing without having to rely on someone else...in a way.

OK, it is true that I have been going to a therapist on and off for 16 years, and she helps me get at thought and emotions that I couldn't without her....and I have paid her a small fortune...but still, I feel that it is me doing the work!

I walked into her office 16 years ago thinking I had the very best parents, and realzed that I was soooo wrong, and because of that have missed so much time in reaching my potential, something I will never reach, because I am just not the person I would have been if I had not been so neglected...well, that makes me so angry! But I understand, and can take action to still be the best I can be...and KNOW the proper way to parent my children, so they do not have the same problem. And build a business, and finish school, which I had dropped out of years ago.

If I had been getting deep tissue massage...how would I have learned this...these intricacies, even if my pain went away? How would I have really learned how to change my life, and build up on what I had learned? And build a good life out of my lethargic miserable former one? Would deep tissue massage have done this?
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2005 :  17:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by ssjs

Marilyn,
All of my emotions have to be addressed conscious, and unconscious! When I get a twinge, I immediatly go through what is bothering me. I actually start complaining in my head...actually wallow...in anything that might be remotly responsible...or not...and the pain goes away. I wouldn't want to have to make an appointment to do that!

Sandy,
It's good you sound sure of yourself, and you deserve to as you seem to have gotten a good handle on eliminating your pain. The only thing I wonder is why you are so opposed to getting a massage or having acupressure. It seems to touch something sensitive inside you when I write about it.

I went through the same thing you did in your childhood, and I also was married to an alcoholic who took his anger out on me, although not physically. So I totally know I have much repressed anger, plus I created a "shield" of very tight constricted muscles around my body to "protect" myself. My therapist pointed this out. I was the type who never thought about myself first and always sacrificed for my family and friends. Although I have had lots of muscle tension and tightness, I never really had bad pain. It has gotten worse now that I have worked on getting rid of the stuff I bured for so many years. That is why I think I have TMS............my unconscious is afraid now that so many emotions are bubbling near the surface so it is trying hard to distract me.

If I had to actually work through all the anger, fear, and hurt I have buried, it would take me longer than I have left to live, I'm sure. So, if I can get rid of some of it quickly through acupressure, it makes sense to me to do that. I also find great help in the hands-on part of it, because it is comforting and soothing, probably to my inner child, the part that my mother hurt so much. Finally, the fact that I am willing to indulge myself in this way is a big step toward putting myself first.

There are many ways to approach healing, and there are many variations of all the things that happened to us and the way we reacted to them. If the hands-on approach doesn't appeal to you, there's nothing wrong with that. It might help some other people, who knows? I feel like it benefits me, actually more than the psychiatrist or psychologist, who also have helped me deal with all of this.

Take care, and continue what you are doing, as it sounds like you have been able to effectively deal with your pain. Way to go!!

Marilyn
Go to Top of Page

ssjs

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  07:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I get angry that all kinds of therapys that really do not work are out there to distract people from what the real deal is. I won't say more about that! I talk too much to begin with!

For you, it seems you have found a therapy that you are comfortable with.

One thing I know though, that if you found the right therapist, you do not have to go through everything to get better. Just know it is there trying to do it's dirty work!

I am sorry that things were so bad for you. I can relate. I was lucky to marry a good guy...but my early years were pretty bad.

Just keep on working at it!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000