TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone seen Netflix series 'Afflicted'?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  00:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a documentary about seven people who suffer from undiagnosed diseases (though some have multiple diagnoses from various doctors and healers) and the ways in which they live their very limited lives. They are clearly suffering but I read TMS over all of them.

Thoughts?

pain is inevitable, suffering optional

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  20:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting, little worried about watching it in case I identify with all of them! I just had a relapse and will watch when I am over it
Go to Top of Page

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2018 :  09:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Al - It's a seven part series and as it progressed, the producers highlighted the mind-body connection more and more. The patients' obsession with their "illnesses" and the degree to which it consumed them became very clear. Though TMS was never mentioned per se, it was clear that these folks had psychogenic components to their ailments. A couple of observations:

-several of those profiled claim to suffer from severe mold allergy. I myself have a severe mold allergy and have read a lot about it. When one is exposed to mold, how does it enter the body? Primarily through the respiratory system. When I'm around mold, I experience asthma acutely and had chronic bronchitis when I lived in a house with mold. NONE of these folks had respiratory symptoms! They all had body pain and various other symptoms.

-Many of the subjects came down with symptoms right when they'd achieved some success (career, relationship, etc). TMS served this purpose for me - falling back into the care of others just when I'd gained some level of independence/success.

-Their narcissism was on full display as was the charlatanry of many natural "healers" who will gladly take thousands of dollars from people who are vulnerable and stretched financially.

This is all to say, it may be helpful to watch rather than triggering.

pain is inevitable, suffering optional
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000