TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 new to TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rags2threads

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  13:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to all of this, previous to 4 days ago I had never heard of TMS and the problems that it can cause. I have a question with regards to traveling pain. My husband has been in the chronic pain cycle for 3 1/2 yrs now, lower back pain that also is running down his leg(has been diagnoised with the usual causes bulging discs, etc). I have been telling him about TMS and what I have recently learned, and last night the pain in his back disapeared, which is great, but he ended up with full blown insomia. Has anyone else had this happen and what do you do about the traveling issues, he is still skeptical, but thinks it might be possible, about TMS, hasn't read the book. We live in Ohio and there aren't any dr's, etc, that treat this in our area, I truly believe what he has is TMS as he fits the profiles that I have seen as to the type of person that ends up with TMS.

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  14:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Symptom substitution is common, and it is a good sign. The fact that the back pain disappeared should be very encouraging. However, expect it to return, and maybe worse than before. TMS is clever and it won't give up without a fight.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  11:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds promising. Start by reading Dr. Sarno's books. Many of us have never seen a TMS doc and have found progress through education and support on this forum.

Take care, -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  13:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see there is another Buckeye here. The fact that his symptoms left that quick is very encouraging. Is his sciatica gone also? If so that should be a strong indication that this is TMS. Chronic pain just doesn't dissappear like that. Unless one has found the true cause. By the way I live in Dayton. Maybe one day someone who treats TMS will finally come to Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

rags2threads

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  15:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in Dayton too, and it would be great to have someone in Ohio that treated TMS. The sciatica disappeared as well, which I did take as an encouraging sign that he indead has TMS, now if I could just get him to believe it too, as he is still skeptical about the whole thing. His symptoms have returned with regards to the pain is his back and leg but no where near the degree of pain that he was in. Thanks for the help and encouraging words. I believe I have finally found something that will help my husband, now I just have to find a way to get him to read the books, what a challenge. I can only say so much, but atleast the TMS idea is in his head.
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  19:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after two years of chronic pain, 12 years of soreness and stiffness in my low back I have finally found the true cuase of my pain. When the burning started a little over two years ago, in my low back, into my legs and down into the feet, the pain rules my life. I had a CT Scan and an MRI. I had the diagnosis of spondylolysis, dengenrative disc, and three bulging discs. I went to an Orthopedic surgeon affiliated with MVH, a Neurosurgeon at MVH, Teeters Chiropractic, a pain management doctor at KMC, and did P.T through MVH. One doctor told me what was causing my pain, another told me different. I had a per-surgery appt. with the ortho. He was a nice guy, he let me sit there with him for two hours asking questions, and going over the procedure with me. He wanted to do a discogram next, and that's when I did not go back to him again. Mayber a month later heard of Sarno, and have gotten so much better. I still have some pain, but it does not rule my life like it used to. I would say I'm 85%-90% better and will be 100% better. I know it was easy for me to accept Sarno's TMS theory, because I had been told by different doctors the reasons for my pain. I had to conclude each different back profession is programmed to twll you what their diagnosis is. Had I heard about Sarno at the beginning of my pain, I do not know if I would have accepted it. But I know both his books describe me to a T. If you want to e-mail me, feel free to do so at mathurhoden@yahoo.com.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000