TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Uncovering Repressed Emotions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  10:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am talking with someone about TMS. They are having trouble with uncovering repressed emotions. I have tried to tell them to journal, think about what makes them perfectionists, goodists, etc. They cannot afford to see a pyschotherapist, plus I am not even aware of any therapist who is trained in pyschotherapy around here in Ohio. I'ts kind of like your outta luck with TMS around here, no docs, no therapists that I am aware. So for those who went to therapy, counseling, what kind of things did the therapists to help you?

brokenbow

6 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  12:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll keep touting this book. No, I'm not getting paid. It's just THE most common sense approach to changing whatever thinking process is embedded and causing the "issue". www.threeminutetherapy.com
Go to Top of Page

alanc

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  13:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you really have to uncover the emotions. Sarno says that just being aware of the fact that the cause of the pain is repressed emotions is enough. After that, fear has to be overcome.
Go to Top of Page

2scoops

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  07:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I just learned last night that my sister has been in therapy. So we talked over about that, and found out that her therapist is a psychotherapist. So her therapist has been trying to uncover her repressed emotions. So I may have found someone that would be willing to believe the TMS diagnosis locally. I also feel that I have found out some info that I found necessary for my own healing. So I believe sometimes it's necessary to uncover some things so that healing can take place.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  14:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is different of course, but like you, 2scoops, I needed to to uncover and experience those hidden emotions - it was hard work and took time, but it has been so very worth it.

It's definitely worth a shot - talking to your sister's therapist. You'll be able to guage his/her feelings about mindbody conditions quite easily if you describe your problems and ask if he/she thinks that they can help you. My one was extremely helpful. She somehow, and I'm not sure to this day how she managed it, guided me to those repressed feelings.
Go to Top of Page

Suz

559 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I am one of those who had to go to psychotherapy. I had no idea how to really feel - according to the therapist I had sort of numbed myself and trained myself to repress feelings - both good and bad. weird! What she has done is turned a switch on for me to start feeling again. Consequently the TMS has almost totally gone. My mother is here in town - and I didn't see the therapist last week or this week. I saw my mum on Wednesday night - first time she has met my fiance - I had headaches for two days and last night, after the gym, I was unable to walk - I panicked and was horrified the pain was so bad. Finally, I sat down quietly and decided to go through all the feelings I had at the dinner - letting myself get really angry and cry. I had a hard time accessing them so I turned on the television and watched a piece of a sad program on television! As soon as I started to feel sad - I switched my thoughts to feelings about the dinner. It sounds very clinical but it worked like a charm! The psychotherapist normally coaxes me by using sad facial expressions or emphasizing how bad something is. I also ignored the pain and just went to bed. This morning, I woke up - no pain at all. It doesn't really matter about getting to the total root of it for me - as long as I am feeling the bad feelings.
The psychologist said many people shut off feelings in order to survive and deal with life - the body is of course affected by this. I have been doing it for about 12 years - so I needed someone to explain this to me and switch me back on again!
Go to Top of Page

crk

124 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  21:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brokenbow

I'll keep touting this book. No, I'm not getting paid. It's just THE most common sense approach to changing whatever thinking process is embedded and causing the "issue". www.threeminutetherapy.com

Go to Top of Page

crk

124 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  21:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, I quoted the person who recommended the Three Minute Therapy book, but I don't see my response along with the quote. Just wanted to say thanks. It turns out to be a Laisse Faire Book selection; I love that company, so I went ahead and ordered it. Looking forward to it very much. Thanks again, CK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000