TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Vertigo or Dizziness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  14:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are right Dave and in my case,,,it is borderline...I did the walk and it was great...I had some pain and I talked to my brain and kept going..I kept doing my best to think Psychological and I finished the 25 min walk...Then, however, on the way back from TCBY when i tried to turn my head enough to make a right hand turn, my neck freaked and locked up even more...It's things like that happening that make it hard for me to take that 100 percent leap of faith i know i so desperately need to take...It's hard not to wonder "What the heck is going on w/ me that I cannot turn my head.." But I really am doing my best on all fronts...I am hopeful I will GET IT soon! Very soon...I just have to.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  19:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Slimmylou,
I am so glad you wrote...It's kind of cosmic, actually...Because I was just thinking about you this afternoon...I came across some of your replies and thought that you sounded like a nice person I would like to connect with..Maybe somewhere inside I had a feeling you were a fellow artist...Thanx so much for understanding me..I am sorry you are suffering w/ the neck as well..And I think it's great how you can get your mind off of the symptoms by painting, baking etc...I still haven't been able to pick up a brush but i feel it coming..Normally i paint daily...I have started by forcing myself to walk every day, sometimes twice a day...I am going to try to paint agian tonight, even for a few minutes..It could really be the missing link for me...Stay in touch...
Hugs,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

Jim1999

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  22:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redskater

the one thing I tend to disagree with Sarno on is waiting until the pain is almost gone to resume physical activity. To me, if is there is nothing structurally wrong why wait.

Gaye,

I think that this really depends on the patient's confidence in the diagnosis. For someone who's very confident, resuming physical activity quickly may increase the speed of recovery. However, for someone who's struggling with accepting the diagnosis, there can be a major setback. The unconscious mind can increase the pain, as if to say, "See, the activity caused more pain, so the pain is physical. It's time to stop that Sarno stuff once and for all." I'm pretty sure there are patients who've given up on Dr. Sarno as a result of this.

In my case, I increased activity fairly gradually over a few weeks. I didn't wait until the pain was almost gone, but I didn't try to challenge the pain too much right away. It seems like it would be a good balance for many patients.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  08:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Jim,,,and I fall into the category you speak of...I am gradually increasing my walking and it is definitely helping on many levels...As I read the books, journal and ponder that this MUST be TMS and cannot be structural...I know I will recover...I am only going to the gym once a week, when i can get a ride there..Driving is still almost impossible...And when I go to the gym, until the neck is much better i am sticking to a lower body workout only...
Go to Top of Page

MuLLady244

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  00:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested to know if months later have you found relief from your Vertigo??

MuLLady
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  06:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HIya Mulllady,
Sorry for the delay, I haven't had a chance to be online much lately..Yes I did find relief, but then it returned for a short time..It came back after I lifted weights, particularly the bicep machine at the gym...I felt a tightening in the back of my head...Probably it was conditioning..My brain thought "Ah ha, you hurt your neck again, up high where C1-C2 could be involved.." It took that as an opportunity to start up the TMS Dizziness when turning in bed thing...I struggled w/ applying what i learned at the forum and not thinking that it was from tight muscles or misaligned vertabrae...I applied heat (probably conditioning again..) and within a week or so it was gone..It happened just as I was getting ready to come to NYC for an extended stay..Lots of stress, huge life changes, etc...what a 'coincidence' that the TMS acted up again at that time of my life...Have you been dealing w/ Vertigo? and...have you thought about how that could be related to what is going on in your life right now?
Take care,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

MuLLady244

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  11:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I did HAVE vertigo really bad although I found relief before discovering TMS. The issue that I have been dealing with is a roaming vertebrate (self description) in my lower back but not much pain, more fear and anxiety then anything else. I have been blessed with skepticism in regards to the medical community I never ever take things at face value, never from them “avoid surgery”. I think that comes from my defiance as a kid, they used to attempt to force me to take Ritalin, I would act like I swallowed it then spit it out when no one was watching.

With that said prior to finding Dr. Sarno’s work I thought I knew the answer and that all I needed to do was to follow www.egoscue.com and I would be cured. Their belief is that all back pain, neck pain, vertigo, etc.. can be fixed by following a regime of exercise they subscribe that is individually customized, so that we can get our structural alignment back in place. Now that I have found Dr. Sarno I believe what he states is correct although I am NOT convinced the Egoscue group is 100% incorrect BUT I am a firm believer that I must do the internal work recommended by Dr. Sarno to resolve my internal conflicts to prevent the symptoms from moving “the old switcheroo”.

One thing though I plan on pursuing this all the way meaning that once the money is there full on psychotherapy whether I have psychosomatic symptoms or not. It cannot hurt to become aware of those demons down there in the sub-conscious basement. Just like I will continue to do the exercises because hell their exercises and I did fix my Vertigo permanently, it can’t hurt to strengthen my core muscles. In my mind I would rather do too much then too little this is my life I am talking about.

BUT that brings up a personality trait that I would like to correct or at least compromise with. Now that I have discovered Dr. Sarno’s position I am resentful and would rather do his way and not worry about anything else. But in the end Dr. Sarno does without question recommend exercise the goal is to get in better shape then before since now I will not have to deal with being stopped by injuries as long as I do the work of course.

I ordered Dr. Sarno’s DVD’s and am finishing his book the Divided Mind. After that I plan on ordering Dr. Schechter’s stuff. Then maybe do a phone consult with Donald Dubin and after that maybe go visit a doctor versed in TMS. When it comes to personal growth this is an area that I want to continue to improve. So did you follow everyone’s advice and rigorously study Dr. Sarno’s stuff if yes how did that help? If no what have you been studying and did that help?

Enjoy the day,

MuLLady
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  11:00:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya MullLady,
I had some phone therapy sessions w/ him and it was very helpful! I also got alot out of Dr. Sarno's videotaped lectures..I watched them over and over again...We cannot overdo that...Hope you feel much better very soon...on my way out so can't write much now..
God bless,
Karen
Go to Top of Page

mensabuttercup

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  21:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have had episodes of vertigo for the past three years. it comes and goes-at times of stress and high emotion, it is much, much worse. from what i've read so far, i'm almost sure it's tms related although my doctor tells me labyrinthitis. i'm going to proceed as if it is tms and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea to proceed as if it were TMS, it probably is...Mine happens sometimes in response to working out if the back of my head gets tight...I think it is conditioning that then brings on the temporary dizziness when turning in bed...Because mine also has happened during times of amplified stress...
~Karen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000