TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 From Georgie Oldfield on Dr. Gabor Mate'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tennis tom Posted - 12/07/2018 : 11:33:34
Georgie Oldfield https://www.facebook.com/SIRPAUK

SIRPA

Dear Tom,

So much research is now showing the link between adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and ill-health in later life. There is no way that medicine can ignore this now and maybe in years to come patients will routinely be asked by their Doctors whether they had any challenges in their childhood and also ask them what was going on in their life when their pain/condition began.

Dr Gabor Maté

One UK Doctor who is now considering ACEs in his work is Dr Rangan Chatterjee from the TV show, Doctor in the House. In this interesting video he is seen interviewing Dr Gabor Maté. Dr Maté is a retired Canadian Psychiatrist who has written exptensively about the impact lack of connection and adverse childhood experiences has on our health in later life. You can listen to it here.

Sometimes there is no significant trauma, but we all have to learn to conform to expectations placed on us, for example: by our parents, school, culture and religion. The strategies we learn, especially during our early childhood to enable us to cope and even thrive, often result in behaviours and personality traits that can cause us ongoing self-induced stress in later life. This includes self-induced stress caused by: the need to be perfect/good/kind and even on time, being self-critical or overly analytical/conscientious and always putting others first etc.

Learning to be ENOUGH

All of these are based on a belief that we don't feel 'enough' in some way and this video demonstrates this perfectly , suggesting we should 'treat ourselves as someone we love'. Developing a strong and loving connection with ourselves can have a very positive effect on ourselves and then helps us connect more positively with others.

Have a lovely weekend and be kind to yourself!

Best wishes, Georgie

P.S. Apologies if you are not able to access the Facebook link, but I could not find these videos anywhere else.

Georgie Oldfield MCSP
Physiotherapist & Founder of SIRPA

Purchase my book Chronic Pain: Your key to recovery here

SIRPA Ltd, 19 Longley Lane, Huddersfield, HD4 6PS, United Kingdom +44 1484 452500

https://www.facebook.com/SIRPAUK

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000