TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 relapses are killing me...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
filipe Posted - 09/09/2019 : 23:52:09
Hello :(

I was cured for 3 years until now, I know it is TMS, but I’m getting difficult to focus away from my TMS extreme pain. These relapses always occur during my vacations. I live a lonely life. And most of the time I’m alone.

It took me only one thought/memory about my extreme TMS pain to start it all over again, and it happened when I was trying to distract myself. Fear took me. I can feel the effect fear has on me. I can feel it discharging cortisol, and other stress hormones on my body…TMS is fear and anxiety. I feel powerless… I’m afraid.

My questions is, can anyone ever stop having relapses? What is the secret? Every time I try to meditate, or reprograming my mind with affirmations, I end in pain. The only thing that made me “cure” my TMS, this time for 3 years, was changing my focus into something I love doing, but those things stop giving me pleasure (I often need friends to do those hobbies, friends that now have their busy lifes). They don’t excite me anymore, as they used to. With age I found them boring. I also find it difficult to find exciting things to do. People are always with their cellphones, and tablets.

I feel I am running away from my TMS (it seems like the only thing I can do)? Should I run away? The pain is really extreme, and affects my whole body #61516;. I also run away from boredom/vacations, because it normally leads to a relapse.

Also, I avoid taking pills. I never took an anxiety pill, in the last 3 years. I’m afraid to get addicted. I also feel I’m not addressing the problem. Now I regret it. Is it bad to take it once in a while? Just to sleep?

Thanks

PS: there is no specialize TMS dr in my country
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
filipe Posted - 10/31/2019 : 06:10:56
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Hi Filipe, communications where I am are a bit iffy due to the fires, can you communicate here so all can benefit from the discussion.

Ok, I will start a new post o the subject :)
tennis tom Posted - 10/30/2019 : 11:12:23
Hi Filipe, communications where I am are a bit iffy due to the fires, can you communicate here so all can benefit from the discussion.

filipe Posted - 10/29/2019 : 16:21:18
TT, I sent you an email. Can you reply me back please? Thanks
tennis tom Posted - 10/10/2019 : 05:57:21
Glad to hear you're over this bout of TMS Filipe and hopefully future psychosomatic induced symptoms will be short-lived for you! It's good to desire to help others and prosyletyze the Good Doctors TMS theory--this is a TMS'ers trait afterall--GOODISM.

There's a lot of valuable TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN archived at this site and it's good Dave is keeping it alive to share with the world. If you want to help there's a sufferer "sdiddy" who has not recieved many responses who could use your help. By helping others understand how TMS works you will reinforce it in yourself.

Cheers,
tt

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

filipe Posted - 10/10/2019 : 04:53:36
Thanks Tom :) You guys are lifesavers. I feel fine again... and also, I have this great sensation, of want to help others... this is humanity speaking :)
tennis tom Posted - 09/28/2019 : 08:10:40
quote:
Originally posted by filipe

Dave, Tom, and Altherrunner, thank you very much guys for your support. From the bottom of my heart :)

...I had 3 years without pain, and this is a lot of time, so I kind of forgot, that I just needed to wait for my mind to adapt and to relax...

You're welcome Filipe! We need a TMS "booster" shot of the KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN every once in a while. I find those who charactrize themselves as being "cured", are repeaters here. TMS is not something we get "cured" of--it's a psychological defense mechanism, a PROTECTOR when life's vicissitudes become too overwhelming to handle with our current skill set. Having it in our mindbody medicine cabinet helps to make each relapse shorter (hopefully). When you feel a new pain, whether structural or affective--stop, look and listen--and "think psychological" as Dr. Sarno advises. The best thing you can do when a TMS attack occurs is curl up and relax with a good TMS book or video to reacquaint with the TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Sir Winston Churchill

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

filipe Posted - 09/25/2019 : 15:11:16
Dave, Tom, and Altherrunner, thank you very much guys for your support. From the bottom of my heart :)

I feel much better now :)

Once you calm yourself down, and relax your mind, your pain will go awyay, and believe me it always goes away...

Once you know the truth, once you know about TMS, and understand it, the pain goes away. Period. It may take some time, but you just have to wait, and remind yourself about what TMS is all about. I needed some time to relax my mind, but I got impatient...

I feel so greatful that I have you guys,to John Sarno, and to know about TMS. I just wish everyone that is suffering knows about it, otherwise, they will never get by their diseases. During this period of TMS, I've been through all the symptoms that affected me in the past, all kind of syndroms, Atrial Fibrilation, Pain in every part of your body, etc... So the symptom imperative is real.

When you relax your mind and body, you open your brain to positive thoughts...I had 3 years without pain, and this is a lot of time, so I kind of forgot, that I just needed to wait for my mind to adapt and to relax...

Dave Posted - 09/24/2019 : 12:41:46
quote:
Originally posted by filipe
So, I'm trying to change my personality...

I'm not sure you can be successful at this, nor is it required.

Instead of change first try acceptance.

Accept who you are, accept your fears, accept your pain.

Fighting and running away from negative thoughts and emotions is not going to work. It is playing into the hands of the process.

As difficult as it is, face your fears head on. Feel those negative emotions. Do this over and over again. Retrain yourself to embrace the pain as a benign signal that there is something going on within you that you do not fully accept or realize. Try to figure out what it is. There is no way to know what it is, but it is the act of trying that is important.
tennis tom Posted - 09/24/2019 : 07:42:41
Filipe, here's a link to a recent thread about people who play tennis living the longest:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2018/09/17/want-to-live-longer-take-up-tennis/#16ac54d2301b

It mentions that tennis' social aspect is the contributor to it--sign up for a beginner tennis class to meet people or join a club.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10519
filipe Posted - 09/23/2019 : 16:17:18
Hi Tom,

I go to the Gymn. But I start hating it, because people don't talk, anymore. They bring their cellphones, and don't comunicate with each other. I feel like an old man,because I cannot see people of my age, they seem to be at home all the time. I feel lonely. In my work, there is also a big gap, between me and the people that work there. I'm the youngest (20 years less or more). I have a hoobie, that I love doing, that is shooting video, and making music. But I got fed up, because, there is so much people doing video, and music, that I put this idea in my head, that If I don't do it, nobody will notice which is true. It wasn't like that in the past. I used to make music for my self, but with age I started doing music to others :(. I start being dependent on their feedback. Also, I start being ashamed of what I created. I am a people pleaser. The music changed a lot, and people listen only to RAp, etc. I just hate RAP...

Also, with age people tend to seperate. My friends have their own lifes, and they aren't available to let me shoot video of them. I prefer shooting videos of people. So I have to reinvent myself, and find a hobby, on the notion, that I cannot count on others. But it is hard. I always had a particular taste... :(

Anyway, I want to be able to be alone with my thoughts... My replapsed started only with a thought. I went to see a movie with Leo Dicaprio, and remember that 3 years ago I tryed to see a movie with him, but was impossible due to my pain... one fearful thought + being at the end of my vacations (alone) = new cycle of TMS... :(

Should I run? I used to...

Ttom you once told me there is a zillion things to do, well, I have to do them alone :( Got any suggestion? I live in a small country, and everyone seems alienated by his smartphone...
tennis tom Posted - 09/23/2019 : 09:09:41
filipe, WHAT DO YOU WANT/ENJOY DOING WHEN YOU ARE NOT SITTING AROUND BEING IN YOUR MIND, DWELLING ON YOUR PROBLEMS, RUMINATING, WORRYING, DOING PSYCHO-ARCHEOLOGY, PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS, TRYING TO UNEARTH "THE" INCIDENT THAT CAUSED ALL OF THIS?

Do you have any sports, physical activities or hobbies that you would or could be engaged in if you weren't so fully engaged in fear?
filipe Posted - 09/23/2019 : 04:32:13
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

Have you read The Power of Now? I found it very helpful.

I read it... I loved it. My only problem is that, what works for me is always shifting my attention to things I love. Every time I try to face my inner ghosts I get scared, and worse. I loved the power of Now, but it scared me a lot. I got scared of not being able to live in the now. The problem is that the books that helped me in the past, now scared me because I associate them with those times of suffering... The worst thing for me is Boredom, or being with my own thoughts. I just wanted to know if I shous insist in changing the way I am, or keep on shifting my attention, and releasing and running away from my repressed fears. I want to be stronger :(

Do you know anyone that meditates? Do mind power training? that was successful in becoming a stronger person? This forum seems dead, there aren't many people helping here, like they were in the past :(

Do you know of any forum where I can talk about John Kehoe mind power, instead of pain? I mean, I want to train my brain so I don't have relapses...

Do you know this site: https://www.learnmindpower.com/using-mind-power/eliminating-negative-thinking/
altherunner Posted - 09/22/2019 : 20:02:33
Have you read The Power of Now? I found it very helpful.
filipe Posted - 09/22/2019 : 14:00:14
Sorry to bother you again. I know I'm overthink all this, but I really need help. I've always have been a very sensitive person. Any sad thing affected me. So, I'm trying to change my personality... I know that is my personality that is leading me to unwanted relapses...

Today I realize that I have these preconceived ideas. I mean deep down, I believe they are true:

I see my subconscious not as a friend, but as a punisher and therefore I fear it. The more I fear it, the scarier I get, and the pain rises...

Every time I want to deal with my subconscious, and changed these preconceived ideas, I get more fear, thus more pain.

Can you, or anyone help me?

tennis tom Posted - 09/17/2019 : 06:01:06
quote:

Ok, so you don't believe people's character can change?

Huh? Where did I say that? That's the theory of some psychologists who have shaped the thinking of the collective meme. TMS is all about breaking out of that template--changing one's mind about the nature and source of chronic pain--that YOU can change it by "thinking psychologically"--shifting your thinking when you feel pain away from the allopathic Cartesian structural answers to the TMS Dr. Sarno theory that most chronic pain originates as a psychological defense mechanism to overwhelming emotional stimuli.

So what is it you want to be doing--rather then focusing your attention on a body part in pain?--relating to others with your body of pain? TMS is about recapturing YOUR life--doing that make your mind feel good rather then dwelling on the negative.

It sounds like you're getting it--TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN--when you feel a new pain, like they say before you step out into the street "STOP, LOOK, AND LISTEN"--thinking TMS psychologically, not structurally. You will be able to fend off each new "attack" faster with practice, resuming activity rather then being stuck in a cycle of endless rumination on the negative. What would you like to be doing rather thinking about pain
filipe Posted - 09/17/2019 : 00:57:42
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Well--I think you answered your own question. Please rephrase your post into simpler words, my eyes/brains glaze over when I read new-agey terminology. Rethink and rewrite your post aimed at explaining your struggle as if you were explaining it to a five year old.

My computer is telling me it wants to be plugged in--the simple answer to your question is "roll with the punches."

Ok, so you don't believe people's character can change? I mean, I read a number of strategies here in this forum, for a person to be stronger psychologically, like doing affirmations, and such... what do you think about that?

Could this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkF_lhF3hUs
tennis tom Posted - 09/16/2019 : 09:11:22
Well--I think you answered your own question. Please rephrase your post into simpler words, my eyes/brains glaze over when I read new-agey terminology. Rethink and rewrite your post aimed at explaining your struggle as if you were explaining it to a five year old.

My computer is telling me it wants to be plugged in--the simple answer to your question is "roll with the punches."
filipe Posted - 09/15/2019 : 14:59:24
Thanks Tennis Tom. You see I was obsessed with the idea that I had go shift my attention no matter what, and then I forgot to acknowledge and release my repressed fears first. I got more fear because it wasn't working. I lost too much time with mind power, meditation, etc... I guess we cannot change the human condition. One to release from repressed emotions have to talked to its brain, and understand that they are the root cause of the physical symptoms we call TMS... :)

But Tom, you said "When life changes intrude on our HOMEOSTASIS (comfort zone)" That's exactly what happen to me. I have relapses everytime my life changes. I hate it. I fear it.

Can one be more prepared for this life changes? Or is the human condition, or the way I am...I wanted to be stronger, and more immune to this going out of your comfort zone thing, so I don't have relapses. But every time I try to do this, I get afraid... and then there's a relapse... :(
tennis tom Posted - 09/12/2019 : 10:01:52

quote:
...Now I understand why Tenis Tom, sometimes fight with people that start distorting what Dr. Sarno (or the good Dr.) said, like talking about exotic things, such as accupuncture, etc, for a person to free herself from pain. It is much simpler.

...You just apply what Dr. Sarno said and you get free from pain.

...Thank you guys, thanks Tenis Tom... THANKS WORLD, and thanks thanks DR SARNO, this wonderful man, I don't have words to describe him...

I'M CURED AGAIN

You're welcome Filipe! Glad to hear having TMS in your mindbody medicine cabinet is serving you well. When life changes intrude on our HOMEOSTASIS (comfort zone) we may need a TMS booster shot of the Good Doctor's KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN--we forget thankfully mostly, and need to curl-up with a good TMS book, (they're ALL good, never read a bad one), a glass of wine, or a pint of Cherry Garcia ice cream, and get a refresher of TMS.

TMS fundamentals, are fundamental--sufferers who need their structural or affective symptoms for an emotional PROTECTOR, tend to look for alternative solutions, or try to pick holes in Dr. Sarno's theory, and why it doesn't apply to them. And that's OK, they need their symptoms for a psychological defense mechanism protector from the emotional distress they are not ready to take head-on yet--or maybe ever.

Sir Winston Churchill

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
(212) 263-6035

filipe Posted - 09/11/2019 : 01:19:58
quote:
Originally posted by altherunner

Hi Filipe - sorry to hear you are in pain, we all get relapses so we can relate to what you are going through. Have you read any uplifting books?
I found the Power of Now helped me, also continuing exercise helped me too. Everyone is different, if you want to email please do anytime.

Thanks Altheruner but something wonderful happen yesterday :)

I found this post and it saved my life. I feel so HAPPY :) :

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/am-i-repressing-fear.8666/

Yesterday I slept like a charm after reading this.

Now I understand why Tenis Tom, sometimes fight with people that start distorting what Dr. Sarno (or the good Dr.) said, like talking about exotic things, such as accupuncture, etc, for a person to free herself from pain. It is much simpler.

You just apply what Dr. Sarno said and you get free from pain. In my case i just had to free my self from my repressed fear, and boom! the pain was gone :) I had forgot it, and I lost myself in some of this posts, that talked about other things you should do, like accupuncture, etc...

Thank you guys, thanks Tenis Tom... THANKS WORLD, and thanks thanks DR SARNO, this wonderful man, I don't have words to describe him...

I'M CURED AGAIN

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000