TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Mal De Debarquement Syndrome

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IrishMonkey92 Posted - 02/21/2019 : 14:18:11
I’ve been a following Dr.Sarno’s work for only a few weeks, and I’ve been quite interested in his workings. I’ve been reading many stories on here from Balto, HIllBilly and Ace who all stand out to be prominent success stories. I was wondering would people be able to help me figure out if my issue is TMS or not?

I’ve had a pretty turbulent 3 years. I had an incident 3 years ago and have never been the same since. It involved being hungover and finding blood on the toilet. I had basically a near death experience with that moment, an autonomic storm occurred - all sorts of symptoms hit me and then I felt like I was on a boat while waiting to get checked in hospital. After I got the all clear but I was left with terrible panic, anxiety and about 100 symptoms. 3 years I’ve somewhat recovered, but I still deal with some symptoms (easily triggered stress, eye floaters, tinnitus, visual snow) but most prominent is a type of dizziness, like walking on a boat/ground moving/swaying sensation. It’s there basically everyday and varies in intensity.

I’ve been given a diagnosis of Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness which is a type of functional disorder. However I am triggered by travel - i.e the sensation gets worse after long car journeys (2+ hours). This worsening in symptoms after travel is more consistent with a diagnosis of Mal De Debarquement Syndrome which is usually triggered by travel (boat, plane, train, cars) but has also been known to be triggered spontaneously. The symptoms match what I experience.. Usually people who get MdDS either have it for prolonged periods of time (months to years), or get triggered easily after some periods of remission. I’m due now to travel on a boat and a very long car journey in April and I’m terrified. I would say I also have PTSD over the idea of this journey making it worse. To be honest, I wasn’t a great traveller to begin with before this (phobia of flying and extremely anxious about boat journeys). I heard HillBilly had a sensation of walking around on a boat and he cured himself, I wish I was able to speak to him, but I hear he’s retired now. Maybe someone else can chime in?

If you want to read about Mal De De Debarquement: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2018.00042/full
https://youtu.be/yuKE4wdhkT8
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IrishMonkey92 Posted - 02/22/2019 : 03:00:33
Hi weatherman,

Thanks very much for your reply. I’ve have been checked by an ENT and don’t have BPPV as you describe. A slight right ear abnormality was found, however it’s compensated (meaning no symptoms should be experienced),and the ENT believed it doesn’t match my symptoms (no spinning vertigo, no nystagmus, no issues with balance or bending over etc) - hence a separate diagnosis of Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness was made.
weatherman Posted - 02/22/2019 : 00:06:32
Last winter I slipped on the ice and smacked my head. No concussion or anything, but in the following weeks I started getting bedspins when I started to get up in the morning. On someone's advice I went to an ear-nose-throat doctor, who did the "Eppley Maneuver" to reposition the inner ear crystals, which he said likely got knocked out of whack when I fell. I was pretty well back to normal within a week with no further trouble.

Maybe you've already been down that road, but if not it might be something to look at. The condition was called benign paroxysmal vertigo I think.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000