TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 possible nerve damage after tattoo = TMS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
meluveitie Posted - 12/18/2017 : 15:58:34
I posted a little earlier but basically I've been having constant pain since a small ankle tattoo about a month ago. It started out in just the arch of my foot which would impair my ability to walk and now its painful in my calf muscle, ankle, some toes, etc. The pain also varies from sore/aching to burning, tingling. I'm thinking she hit a nerve and possibly damaged it, and I'm worried complex regional pain syndrome is developing. Could this level/intensity of pain, despite possible nerve damage involvement, be TMS related? What would even be the treatment for nerve damage? Thank you all.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meluveitie Posted - 01/05/2018 : 17:10:25
Just wanted to update since my last post. The pain has become excruciating - having burning, aching pain all throughout my foot now, and somewhat in my right foot too but not as bad. I tried to convince myself it was TMS and went running on a treadmill yesterday, telling myself nothing was wrong, and since I did that my god it's been hurting like hell today, Tylenol isn't even touching it. I'm worried I have CRPS honestly.
tennis tom Posted - 12/20/2017 : 19:14:33
No TMS docs in Utah on the wiki list. How bout the ER or an urgent care office? If it's serious then you can't wait months--but in this tennis player's opinion I don't think it could be serious and it sounds like TMS--but this is a TMS board so that's where most opinions are weighted towards. If it's serious and needs treatment then it needs treatment--if it's TMS then it doesn't need physical treatment or surgery. You are worried about what you don't know. NO ONE at a message board can diagnose you--you need to see a doctor to get a dx. The state of medicine must be pretty abysmal in Utah if it takes months to see a doctor--are you under Obama care? I've never heard of such a thing--my doctor's office has a sign outside that says "Walk In's Welcome". Go to urgent care or the ER before you "worry" yourself to death. A message board is NOT a source for diagnosis.

Is your ankle swollen or discolored. Do you feel guilty that you got the tattoo and afraid your parents will be upset when they see it?
meluveitie Posted - 12/20/2017 : 11:15:56
Unfortunately I'm in Utah and I can't find a TMS doc here. It takes months to get in with any internal medicine/GP. Not sure about pain specific docs, but I'm worried as to the treatments they'll suggest... I don't want surgery or anything.
altherunner Posted - 12/19/2017 : 19:46:57
I have never had a tattoo either, but I run barefoot in the summer and have had rocks and slivers in my feet that would have drove me crazy before I read Dr. Sarno. I also wiped out on my bike and broke some small bones on the top of my foot, went to the clinic and they said it would heal on it's own. Your feet are actually incredibly tough and resilient, just like what Dr. Sarno said about the back.
If I were you I would see the doctor in case of infection and to rule out anything else. Hope you feel better and merry Christmas to you and Tennis Tom too!
tennis tom Posted - 12/19/2017 : 17:00:11
quote:
Originally posted by meluveitie

Hi Tom,

I don't know what doctor to see, I've only seen a podiatrist but he didn't have a clue what was going on.

What state are you in? See a TMS doctor for an objective opinion.

I've seen several podiatrists over the years and from my experiences with them put them on a level with chiros.

Is your ankle swollen or discolored?

If you can't see a TMS doctor see a competent physician/M.D.
meluveitie Posted - 12/19/2017 : 16:25:57
Hi Tom,

I definitely had severe pain during the tattoo, but I also know ankle tattoos are supposedly one of the most painful areas to get tattooed. I had pain immediately after and it's persisted. I'm also noticing my left foot always feels colder than my right now - a sign of CRPS. I don't know what doctor to see, I've only seen a podiatrist but he didn't have a clue what was going on.
tennis tom Posted - 12/19/2017 : 08:13:39
Did you feel any traumatic pain, besides the normal pain of tattooing at the time? Have you seen a physician for this? What did he/she say? Have you been back to the tattoo artist to ask about your situation?

FYI: I'm a tennis player--not a physician--I have sprained my ankle several times, but I've never had a tattoo.
meluveitie Posted - 12/18/2017 : 19:54:49
Hi Tom - I did see your response, thank you. I'm concerned because it's over my ankle where the nerves are so close to the surface that she could have pierced something. So I'm having trouble with the TMS approach..
tennis tom Posted - 12/18/2017 : 19:11:38
I responded to your previous post, did you see it, if so what do you think? I also recommended a book "SKIN DEEP" by Dr. Ted Grossbart, about mindbody skin disorders that could well apply to your case. Your next step would be to consult with a TMS physician for an objective opinion. I seriously doubt a tattoo artist could penetrate the skin to get anywhere near a nerve, and nerves are very resilient--but I'm not a doctor--see a doctor to rule out anything serious that requires treatment.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10137

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000