TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tribute to Dr. sarno

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andy64tms Posted - 10/09/2017 : 17:19:20
I can’t believe it’s nearly 18 years since my introduction to TMS. I Pay tribute to Dr. Sarno who sadly passed this year. It was one of his books “Healing Back Pain” that I was introduced to in 2000. I remember when I first read it throwing it across the room in sheer disbelief. Looking back I also remember another emotion.

Coming from Great Britain, where it’s not so great to show your emotions or anxiety I had never been exposed to such openness about feelings, in the UK back then it was not acceptable at family, peer or society level. Some of you may have heard the expression: “stiff upper lip” that is applied to the way you should behave. Emotions were considered best suppressed.

I did not understand suppressed unpleasant emotions straight away. In his book and VHS tapes he stated with many examples that most people with unexplained pains have something psychologically going on inside. I followed his lead and in 2000 had a miraculous recovery from years of debilitating back pain. I recovered and then asked the question: “why”?

This basic question for me was at the core of my issues and took me years to answer. From 2000 to 2012 I did little journaling and paid no attention to TMS theory. I had a recovered; I took up windsurfing and got on with life. I reread “Healing Back pain” a few times, and ordered two VHS tapes. The image in his white coat and cane, and factual manner gave me assurance. I felt this was the right direction to take.

Dr Sarno’s writings allowed me to start thinking “psychologically”. A word up to then I had learnt to fear and revoke, for it meant I had to look inwards with honesty. I now know “psychology” is a word for “life” for we are all fortunate to be physiological creatures. Everything we do, everything we say is linked to psychological reasoning, and our happiness and existence depend upon it.

When I joined the TMS Help forum in 2012 a year after retirement I had ample time to investigate TMS further. My views changed gradually as I realized TMS was not a quick fix. Some of the concepts were hard to understand, and there was deep controversy and reams of advice and rules of what approach to follow. Dr Sarno has inspired us to think inwardly about ourselves and share our experiences. His inspiration goes much further to the professionals who took up his cause. If it was not for him I would not have the experience of reading “Unlearn your Pain”, “The Great Pain Deception”, or being able to follow threads by Alan and Fred. Thank you to all the TMS pioneers out there.

In the expanse of the world he has brought together a very small group of people who have the chance of being pain free without surgery and medication.

Thank you good doctor.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wrldtrv Posted - 03/09/2018 : 19:06:11
I haven't been on here for several years, but have been a Sarno enthusiast for most of this century. In fact, now that medicine in general is starting to confirm much of Sarno's ideas, I more strongly believe he was right.

Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world is still clueless about psychosomatic medicine. In fact, the average person thinks the word psychosomatic means "it's all in your head". I saw this confirmed today. I was in a group therapy session today. When my turn came, I wanted to mention the recent low back spasm I'd had, but needed to make sure the group knew I did not regard it as a structural issue, so tried to explain the psychosomatic view I was coming from (w/out mentioning Sarno). I quickly became extremely frustated--even enraged--when people seemed to look at me like they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. When one woman said, "Well, I don't know why you just don't go and get an X-ray" I knew I had lost the battle. Forget about the psychosomatic part; I had also made it clear that I was a hypochondriac. So, why in the hell would you tell a hypo to get am X-ray?

As a hypo, I realize my challenge is much greater than the average person who is subject to only the psychosomatic part. Because I have to not only have confidence that the symptom in question is psychosomatic, but I have to constantly re-fight my mind every time it doubts it, which is over and over. The intellectual part is easy. When I go from sx to sx, year after year, most every body part involved at some point, yet am the picture of fitness and health, still running marathons at almost 64, father 101 yrs old, it shouldn't be hard to accept. And I do at first, but have to fight the fight again and again. Exhausting!
Singer_Artist Posted - 11/27/2017 : 20:24:07
Thank you, Andy! That was very well said! I was so sad to hear when Dr. Sarno passed. He has helped countless people and will be missed...
altherunner Posted - 10/10/2017 : 20:18:58
I just bought 3 copies of Healing Back pain used online to give to friends and co workers
tennis tom Posted - 10/10/2017 : 10:05:54
Well said!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000