TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 reconsidering TMS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
music321 Posted - 06/28/2016 : 17:57:27
I have suffered from debilitating autonomic nervous system dysfunction for many years. The problems started, so I thought, with a car crash. However, I was under considerable stress for over two years prior.

Very recently, I went on a vacation, and my symptoms improved markedly. Upon returning, I continued to strengthen and condition myself. A few days ago, I was in a minor fender-bender. I'm now experiencing pain and physical limitations.

I'm starting to think that whatever happened years ago must have sensitized my nervous system, and it will permanently be in a sensitized state. The only thing that prompted me to accept the "TMS" diagnosis was all of the "success" stories. Well, after digging a little deeper, and reading Sarno's "The Divided Mind", I wonder if there are any "success stories", or if we're all just living with permanently sensitized nervous systems that are made better and worse to varrying degrees by life's stresses. Any thoughts?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 06/28/2017 : 09:11:45
quote:
Originally posted by music321

... I wonder if there are any "success stories", or if we're all just living with permanently sensitized nervous systems that are made better and worse to varrying degrees by life's stresses. Any thoughts?

That's the definition of TMS, 100% acceptance of the Good Doctor's theory, barring true physical trauma, the subconscious creates benign, but excruciatingly real pain. The pain can be banished, when the conscious mind faces it head on, dealing with the stressful life events, stopping the subconscious defense mechanism from kicking in.

The sub-c is attempting to PROTECT us from dealing with emotional pain, that it deems to be more painful. Breaking the subconscious chronic pain cycle requires conscious reconditioning of the mind. Dr. Sarno's "12 DAILY REMINDERS" are good affirmations to use for tools to achieve the MINDBODY reconditioning.
Tunza Posted - 06/28/2017 : 05:45:03
I don't have an answer to that but I identify as a highly sensitive person (see www.hsperson.com ) and I have a low pain threshold and other things that make me relate to what you are saying. My doctor recently wondered out loud about autonomic nervous system dysfunction when we were discussing some autoimmune issues I have. The blood tests don't match the severity of the symptoms.
stanfr Posted - 07/03/2016 : 23:35:15
Well, since you're the first post ive seen here after a multi-year hiatus...I guess ill respond.
Sarno cured me of sciatica 20+ years ago. I later took a harder look at the nuts and bolts of the theory and decided it was seriously flawed (problems with distraction theory, the Freudian stuff etc...)
But to this day I give Sarno huge credit for making me aware of mind-body and the fact that my problems were psychosomatic. It is hard to generalize when you're main source of info is your own experience, but in general, yeah, I'd say the TMS phenomena is largely an overactive nervous system, which can be aggravated by stress, and anxiety. In my sciatica case, It put me in a feedback cycle that required me to accept the psychosomatic origins to break that loop.
I've later had a number of 'TMS equivalents' that have been tougher to deal with, and sometimes it's hard to separate the pathologic from the physical from the psyche. So, basically, I don't have a clue

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000