TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Question about trigger finger

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
truenorth Posted - 04/12/2017 : 10:50:50
I recently posted vis a vis a walking issue. Making real headway by simply getting on with my life and walking as much as possible. Every day is a battle. The fear comes up and I just walk with real intention.

At the same time, in the last 2-3 weeks, I have pain and trigger finger symptoms in my right hand, which are very specific. It means a tendon is being "trapped" in moving back and forth in the tendon sheath. It gets "stuck" due to inflammation. Hard to believe this specific mechanism could be psychogenic.

I'm on the fence with this one. Doing tendon gliding exercises (I ignored it for several days with no change), as well as deep tissue massage over the sore area has remarkably helped. I use a computer mouse all day and have switched to my left hand on a track pad.

I know TMS causes reduced blood flow but a "knot" in my tendon sheath caused by my emotions is a little hard to grasp.

Thoughts?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
truenorth Posted - 06/13/2017 : 20:15:26
I'm still really on the fence with this one. I initially began treating this as mind body with no success and I've had a lot of experience doing that vis-à-vis my back. An interesting thing happened several weeks ago. I purchased an acupressure ring on Amazon and got almost immediate straightening of the ring finger. It lasted a few hours. Also, in doing my daily Qigong work out, I could sense my finger triggering during the work out. Both things point to a body inbalance or even a mild organ issue.
Wilf Posted - 04/22/2017 : 15:12:31
Interesting discussion. I have had "trigger finger" on 7 fingers and minor surgery corrected them all. I have had TMS back pain for years and had no idea that trigger finger could also be TMS.
truenorth Posted - 04/20/2017 : 13:08:30
Just got back from the Doctor and as I suspected it, he found nothing physically wrong with me, based on several X-rays and an examination of my hand. This clinches it for me. Interestingly, this morning it's the best it's been in weeks, almost like my subconscious knew I was on the way to unmask it.

I've had Fred Amir's "Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain" sitting on my shelf since 2004. I read it thru, yellow highlighted the entire book but never followed through. I began following the program this past weekend and must say I've experienced definite (but incremental) improvement by mostly using a few affirmations, keeping a simple diary of the day, as well as setting short term goals and visualizing myself healed and doing all the things I cannot do now. I feel it's working. Less fear about walking. Hats off the Fred. The big difference in his program is the projection of a strong, healthy person challenging the pain in a vigorous way. Really vigorous.
truenorth Posted - 04/13/2017 : 14:07:21
Thanks for the reply TT. I found it on TMS Wiki. How do I feel? I suspected TMS all along. This will sound crazy, but whenever I suspect a physical issue is psychogenic and think about it, I get a little shake in my body, like a mini release.

I challenged it last night. I paint and draw frequently and said this physical issue will not stop me, as I don't need the ring finger to draw or paint. I sat down and did a nice little sketch, about an hour. Came out fine. Today, my hand is better, much better.

I find if I directly challenge my issues, as opposed to "accepting" them, I do better. Having said that, maybe drawing last night was acceptance. I simply got on with things, got on with my life.
tennis tom Posted - 04/13/2017 : 13:00:27
quote:
Originally posted by truenorth

I found some good information regarding TMS and trigger finger online:

"A hallmark of TMS is that there is no long-lasting structural change in the body that produces symptoms, so in that model trigger finger wouldn't fit the classic definition of TMS. On the other hand, we know from published studies that people who are susceptible to TMS-like diseases are able to produce swelling in their tissue just by thinking about moving their finger. In that model, the combination of factors that produce TMS symptoms (past experiences, personality traits, and current stressors) can certainly also produce transient swelling in the tendon sheath that leads to a physical symptom (the locking of the finger)."

Good find! I was going to suggest you "search" the TMS archives, they are a treasure of TMS info to be mined, but you beat me to it. When I first found this site, I read every post here, (there weren't as many back then.)

Where did you find this info and how do you feel about your issue now?

==================================================

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation” – Plato

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter

"...the human emotional system was not designed to endure the mental rigors of a tennis match." Dr. Allen Fox

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" - Thomas Gray

"All my friends in Los Angeles are the sensitive type. They all have like all the diseases like Chronic Fatigue, Epstien Barr, Fibromyalgia. Like all the diseases where the only symptoms seem to be you had a really crappy childhood and at the prospect of full time work ya feel kinda achy and tired."

Posted by Skizzik @ TMSHelp from comedian Maria Bamford

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthuisam."
Sir Winston Churchill

======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Dr. Sarno is now retired, if you call this number you will be referred to his associate Dr. Rashbaum.

"...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them": Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

truenorth Posted - 04/13/2017 : 12:09:05
I found some good information regarding TMS and trigger finger online:

"A hallmark of TMS is that there is no long-lasting structural change in the body that produces symptoms, so in that model trigger finger wouldn't fit the classic definition of TMS. On the other hand, we know from published studies that people who are susceptible to TMS-like diseases are able to produce swelling in their tissue just by thinking about moving their finger. In that model, the combination of factors that produce TMS symptoms (past experiences, personality traits, and current stressors) can certainly also produce transient swelling in the tendon sheath that leads to a physical symptom (the locking of the finger)."

truenorth Posted - 04/12/2017 : 13:53:58
Good points, Dave, but you're assuming it's TMS and here's the rub: if it is physical and I stop all treatment, I run the risk of having my finger permanently bent down. I'm right handed and you can only guess what this would do to my life. I'm a fine artist and a painter.

As I said, I'm on the fence here. I 100% KNOW my other symptoms are TMS. This, not sure.

This is not an easy one. I'm seeing a Doctor next week and can only guess what he will say.

Thanks for the input.
Dave Posted - 04/12/2017 : 13:12:48
It is very common when you make progress treating one symptom for TMS to find another way to distract you.

It is also common that TMS will be smart enough to pick a symptom that you are most likely to believe is due to physical and not psychological cause.

The fact that you are even using the term "tendon gliding" means you are very focused on the physical realm. In other words, the distraction is working.

I'm not sure that you can effectively conclude the symptom is really due to "trapped" tendon. Even if it is, that does not preclude the possibility that the inflammation is a result of the TMS process.

TMS is very clever. It will never give up.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000