TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone overcome gastritis?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TaylorJoh Posted - 11/22/2011 : 16:32:56
Has anyone overcome gastritis? I've eaten nothing but oatmeal and honey, carrot juice blended with spinach for 3 weeks and I'm really not getting any better. Of course I know it's caused by stress and anxiety, but I feel like I've been doing a lot better in the dept but not seeing any improvement with the gastritis. It's truly the bane of my life right now. I'm hoping for an encouraging story of triumph over this painful TMS symptom.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 09/21/2017 : 07:50:47
I find when i get gastritis, eating heaping portions of curry vindaloo, and washing it down with a pitcher of Pimm's Cup works for me. It helps to neutralize the h-pylori bacteria that is at the root of all TMS especially plantar fasciitis and carpal tunnel.
parash123 Posted - 09/21/2017 : 01:32:11
quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJoh

Has anyone overcome gastritis? I've eaten nothing but oatmeal and honey, carrot juice blended with spinach for 3 weeks and I'm really not getting any better. Of course I know it's caused by stress and anxiety, but I feel like I've been doing a lot better in the dept but not seeing any improvement with the gastritis. It's truly the bane of my life right now. I'm hoping for an encouraging story of triumph over this painful TMS symptom.

Hi

A healing diet for gastritis and ulcers (an inflammation or irritation of the stomach lining) can significantly ease and improve the discomfort and symptoms that occur with it.
following link will provide you the gastritis diet menu which may also prevent flare-ups while allowing one to enjoy daily activities.
http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/diet-for-gastritis/
Joy_I_Am Posted - 02/08/2012 : 11:16:33
Hi Bryan,

Well I've had a flare of the left-sided pain the last couple of days. Possible reasons: it's the rebound - I've read that the acid-producing parietal cells in the stomach (which were killed off by the Prilosec) have a life cycle of 54 days, so if it's them, they are having a little tantrum, and should start calming back down to normal quite soon...

Or it's because I had wine over the weekend. I'd stayed off it for nearly six weeks and was feeling no better, so I had two bottles over three days. But it could not be related to that at all... (or, as I've said in the past, I'm sure it's possible to 'guilt' myself into feeling symptoms after drinking)...

Or - it could be TMS! I suspect a large element of this - because I also have a case of lingering sinusitis which has kept me tired and grumpy for weeks now; I also have family stuff going down. I hadn't realised how much the latter had annoyed me, I thought I was brushing it off quite successfully, but looking at it honestly, I can see I am really wound up about this situation, which never seems to go away and 'flares up' every time I have any enforced contact with my family... hmm!

Let's hope this realisation helps!

Bryan, I am sorry for your situation, it really does sound stressful - so much at once! Hope it clears up soon (both situations and symptoms). And I also get those illnesses at certain times of year, must be some memories in there (some I can identify easily, others not so much, but awareness is the starting point, I guess).

Be well and happy, all! Joy
bryan3000 Posted - 01/31/2012 : 19:26:44
How are you feeling, Joy?

Had some twinges of gastritis pain the past couple days. Amazing, because it's been exactly a year now since I got really slammed with it. I'm sure it's TMS or just plain stress. I'm under a ton of pressure right now. (Major marital problems, selling a car, buying a car, working 2 jobs, tax issues and that's just this week.)

My back went out last week. My anxiety has been better, but my symptoms are definitely moving around. Just makes me realize how the brain works. I mentioned gastritis a couple of days ago... and randomly as i sat here at work, it came back.

Not as bad, and it will leave... but amazing.

Hope you're doing well!

-1/2010 - Developed chronic sinus problems. ENTs/Docs can't find anything
-5/29/2010 - Doc gives cocktail of allergy meds which induces first ever panic attack/anxiety.
-7/16/2010 - Anxiety stays/worsens - put on Xanax
2/1/2011 - Began Xanax taper - Withdrawal starts - full body chaos
-6/11/2011 - Last dose of Xanax. Physical/emotional chaos continues for several months.
-Now: Taking it day by day, looking for real answers and ways to heal myself without medical poison.
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/26/2012 : 04:10:18
Hum, maybe spoke too soon. I've had acid the last day or two; from what I read, this is what happens when the cells that were killed off by the PPI start growing back, so I think it probably is actually physical. But I am just going to take Zantac, bicarb of soda, slippery elm etc to quell the symptoms and think no more of it, it's a stage and will pass; things will get back to normal because that's what the body likes and is built to do.

Joy
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/15/2012 : 09:28:44
So, two days later, and feeling great! I did feel a bit woozy and withdrawy, got quite a bit of acid pain the first day, a lot less the second day, today just minor, I haven't had to take anything for it. Will use ranitidine and gaviscon if I need it the next couple of days, but hope the worst is over.

I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation, because I googled 'quitting PPI' and got nothing but horror stories; people saying that it had taken them months or even years to come off it, or that they'd had to go back on it, and at higher doses... I also had a strong nocebo in the form of my doctor saying cheerfully 'Oh yeah, you get rebound with this!' He added that some doctors don't believe in it, but it's true (and a 2009 study at Copenhagen Uni seemed to be a major confirmation of this). But knowing about TMS, I was able to see it for what it was and get calmly through the rebound instead of panicking.

Now, this may not be the same for other people, with longer histories or different conditions; I can only say how it's worked for me. You have to see your own doctor.

But I'm also glad I read around the subject myself. I noticed when I was on it that my toenails didn't grow at all, and my fingernails hardly at all! Weird the things you pick up on. I've heard of people getting much worse side effects, and suppose there are others who get none at all, they just don't go on the internet to kvetch like me...

Joy
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/13/2012 : 05:24:36
So today I thought I'd stop the prilosec 10mg, take 75mg ranitidine before breakfast instead. Feeling a bit sore in the left side, a bit belchy, but want to stick with it. I also feel a bit shaky, with a bit of a head rush - things swim a bit when I stand up fast - and slight nausea. My feeling is that the increased acid - a rebound effect from the PPI - is aggravating the vagus nerve somehow. Either that or a side effect from the ranitidine (though I've taken it without problems before). I'm pretty tired too, but that could be from the ranitidine.

The more I read about PPI's the more determined I am to get off them. But I am trying to see this as a good, 'rely on your own body to take care of itself' thing rather than an OMG panic. Don't want to turn the normal symptoms of a drug withdraw into 'another illness'!

Really want to get back to my workouts but feel a bit too woozy, but will do cheery things and get a good walk at least today. Drinking lots of water.

Joy
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/12/2012 : 02:53:43
Jude, thank you so much for that post! It is really relevant to me right now. I am currently living in a flat I hate, that my husband insisted we buy two years ago - my instincts were telling me not to do it, but he nagged, cajoled and pushed me against all my, yes, gut feelings... I was right, it is a lemon; every day there is something about it that brings me down. And looking at my old journals, guess when my stomach troubles started... yeah, two years ago...

Now, he has seen that I was right, and we are aiming to move as soon as we can, but in the meantime I have to learn to re-route these feelings, because I don't want to be on meds for months and months until we leave - I have to deal with it now. I have avoided journalling, because, I realise, I was afraid of all the emotions that I would churn up. But this is obviously what I need!

Jude, I am so glad you are feeling better, and made good changes in your life! Really, thank you for your words.

My current sitch: this is day 3 on the 10mg prilosec. I've been getting some reflux and upper left abdo pain, but nothing I can't handle with a little ranitidine, and Gaviscon before bed. My doctor said that '10mg doesn't work' but I feel that my body needs that little taper of the substance, even if it's having no clinical effectiveness, after 55 days on it. But another day or two should do it, I think.

I am so committed now to looking at this from a TMS perspective. Being off the PPI will help that, I'm sure. It really doesn't seem to have made any difference to the pain - as I said above, quitting alcohol has, but I think this is more to do with the anxiety it caused. Dealing with my life and my anxiety is my priority now.

More soon, Joy
jude Posted - 01/11/2012 : 20:29:05
I had a terrible bout with gastritis about 10 years ago, before I knew about TMS. I was on various prescription meds (something I usually stay away from) but nothing really helped. I ate practically nothing for more than 6 months-- white rice, oatmeal, that sort of thing. I was in almost constant pain, upper left side abdomen. It was hell.

Finally I admitted to myself that my living situation at the time was destructive to me. That might sound like a no brainer, but I had committed to it, and I had not been willing to consider the possibility I might have made a mistake. I made a decision and left the situation.

Within a week, I was completely off the medications and pain was almost gone. I recall I had some Ayurvedic herbs at that point that helped. But the main thing was realizing the underlying emotions, listening to them, and taking action in spite of whatever fears I had. It took a while to be able to eat normally again, but the next period of time was all in the right direction.

I have had minor incidents of gastritis since that time, but I always know now to check what is going on emotionally. Knowing about TMS has made all the difference. I first learned about TMS in relation to carpel tunnel. At that point I made the connection that the gastritis had been the same syndrome, even if I didn't know it then.
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/09/2012 : 05:10:29
Update: today, 9th January 2012. Been on 20mg prilosec since 4th Jan, needed ranitidine two nights (not consecutive) for mild symptoms, otherwise fine so far. About to switch to 10mg next.

Staying off alcohol seems to be the most effective thing so far. Despite the benefits that are claimed for apple cider vinegar, my instinct tells me it's not appropriate for me right now.

TaylorJoh, I agree, it felt like the PPI was just impairing my digestion, which tends to the sluggish anyway! It helped to take digestive enzymes, which is something I do when I'm eating a big meal anyway.

Further bulletins as events warrant...
glowgirl Posted - 01/05/2012 : 21:01:26
look up soaked flax seeds and lemon water.

www . home-remedies-site . com/health/gastritis.htm
this site has other remedies but those are the two i know about.
TaylorJoh Posted - 01/05/2012 : 17:45:35
Joy, I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with this still.

I also applaud you for at least trying to get off of the PPI's, to see how you fare. I was on them for months. I was taking Prilosec 40mgs. What I noticed is, if I ate, I would feel the food on my stomach for hours. I think the PPI prevented me from producing enough acid to move the food out when it was supposed to, therefore exacerbating my symptoms.

And Joy, alcohol on a hurting stomach is just a bad idea period. I'd also watch anything with vinegar. Vinegar is just sour wine. Alcohol and vinegar would have put me in the hospital lol.

Are you doing the slippery elm and DGL? I still take them 3 x's a day. I especially do it at night. I no longer wake up with excruciating stomach pain anymore. In fact, I don't have stomach pain much at all anymore unless I eat something really really fattening.

Oh also, before I eat, for a few minutes I put on my head phones and listen to some meditating music and pray. The praying part might not be your sort of thing, but you can always try listening to some meditating music and just completely relax. Then my tummy welcomes the food in a good state. Which has helped tremendously.

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about your posture. A lot of times when we try to have the "correct" posture, we tend to tighten our stomach muscles up. In fact, when I started just completely relaxing, not worrying about my posture, letting my stomach pooch out, it would feel better.

My mom used to be dogmatic about good posture, tummy in, butt muscles tight. That was OK for her, because she's not a huge stressing anxious person. She is in her 50's and has the body of a 25 year old. But I think for people like us, it just translates into tension. That is just my opinion though, you know what does and doesn't work for you.

As you know though, keeping your stress and anxiety at a minimum is the only way to get you past the finish line. I know it's easier said then done. And sometimes I feel guilty preaching to people about stress and anxiety because, I don't have kids, a husband, or boss that can stress me out. So, it's pretty easy for me to be Cool Manchu. I'm also not a "goodist", so that really helps. I just stupidly worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet lol. Crazy.

Ohhh, I hope you and Paul get better soon. I know how difficult it is to live with stomach pain and discomfort. And I hate to hear that you're still going through it. I suffered with it for 2 years and it was getting unbearable. Keep us posted and I hope you get to feeling really good soon!
PhilMid Posted - 01/05/2012 : 05:07:18
Joy I Am – I applaud you for aiming to come off PPI and put yourself in control. As you said it may not work but you won’t know unless you give it a go. Good luck and I hope this puts you on the way to resolving your gastritis.
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/04/2012 : 16:31:05
Thanks Phil, any info gratefully received!

To be clear, this is my decision to come off the PPI, I'm not doing this under doctor's orders. This may not suit everyone, and I may turn out to be wrong! I'll keep an eye on it, and try to use TMS techniques as well as natural remedies. But I will go back to my GP if I feel I have to.

Joy
PhilMid Posted - 01/04/2012 : 15:25:31
The Mayo clinic (surprise, surprise) suggests limiting or avoiding alcohol both for bile reflux and gastritis. It also has advice on lifestyle, dietary and alternative medication.

I also took Omeprazole for gastritis which did not resolve it after a 28 day dosage. I was reluctant to continue as I did not like the side effects. Slippery Elm worked for me (Mayo clinic list this as a natural remedy).
Joy_I_Am Posted - 01/04/2012 : 13:25:17
Damn, just lost a post... well, quick precis:

17th Nov 11: put on 20mg daily of prilosec (omeprazole) for suspected ulcer (also 2 x daily 200mg iron (ferrous sulphate) for anaemia). Took drugs and avoided alcohol (my idea) until 8th December, but the pain didn't abate much, so back to the locum GP who upped the dose to 40mg daily. He said I could drink over Christmas on this, so I did!

Today: 4th January - pain pretty much the same. So I am going to taper off the prilosec, starting today with 20mg, plus a zantac 12 hours later when the pain started to kick in. Will take 20mg for about a week, then switch to 10mg, then every other day; meanwhile switching to zantac, then natural remedies only. Probably take a couple of weeks. If the pain remains after that, I'll ask for proper investigation instead of chucking strong drugs at it by guesswork.

What has helped: staying off alcohol - I find it aggravates my anxiety big time, even a small amount. Watching my posture - if I slouch, or don't exercise enough. What hasn't helped: being anxious and stressed! Gin! I aim to stay off the alcohol, and will do my best to stay off the anxiety, and let you know how it goes.

Bests, Joy
PhilMid Posted - 01/04/2012 : 03:27:34
For me bile was leaking out the other way into the colon resulting in chronic diarrhoea, so the meds (Colesevalam which coats the bile) are specifically for that and my gallbladder is working fine.

For me, I know that reduced fat intake had an affect on my symptoms. Less fat meant that less bile was squirted out by the gallbladder. Your gallbladder removal has obviously changed how bile is used in digestion, but I was wondering whether fat may have a role to play for you?

Paul Posted - 01/03/2012 : 15:20:16
What meds did you take Phil. I'm on some the doc gave me, but I don't feel better. I almost feel worse. :(
PhilMid Posted - 01/02/2012 : 16:32:29
Paul - I don’t know whether my suggestions will prove of any help to you. I have a bile related condition but mine can be controlled by drugs and diet and is not as troublesome as yours.

Did you get any advice or medication on how to manage this? I assume that you have ruled out TMS causing your gastritis and that Dr Sarno's methods will not resolve this problem. Have you looked on the web such as the Mayo clinic for their advice? (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bile-reflux/DS00651/DSECTION=alternative-medicine)

As bile is used to breaking down fats, is it possible that fat in your diet is exacerbating your problem? I know that I could directly relate my symptoms with fat intake.

You could try Slippery Elm to coat your digestive tract to limit the effect of gastritis. Also consider how you are chewing food and the size of your meal as that may take some pressure off your digestive system.That helped me with my "normal" gastritis before I knew it was related to TMS.

Paul Posted - 01/01/2012 : 08:41:02
Has anyone had BILE gastritis? This is completely different than regular acid gastritis.

I'm just wondering what helped. I had my gallbladder out last spring, and this last month I've been battling pretty bad bile gastritis. They did an upper scope on me and my stomach was full of bile. My stomach was very red and irritated from this.

I guess bile is actually alkaline, but when it is present in the stomach too long and gets backed up, the stomach produces more acid to try and flush it out. This creates a double whammy.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000