TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 extremity weekness /anxiety/burning

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
renee Posted - 04/19/2011 : 22:54:11
I need some TMS reassurance. I have had several varieties of TMS the past 20 years. I worked through back back, pelvic pain, hives, and recently panic and phobia. I am thinking I have a new variety of TMS? I developed extreme heaviness/weakness in the arms and legs with burning. Has anyone experienced this form of TMS?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
filipe Posted - 09/09/2019 : 20:58:12
quote:
Originally posted by renee

I need some TMS reassurance. I have had several varieties of TMS the past 20 years. I worked through back back, pelvic pain, hives, and recently panic and phobia. I am thinking I have a new variety of TMS? I developed extreme heaviness/weakness in the arms and legs with burning. Has anyone experienced this form of TMS?

Yes Rene, this is TMS for sure :) When I suffer from TMS, my whole body burned...
art Posted - 04/30/2011 : 11:42:51
"Would I rather be free or right?"

Can I be both? :>)
Wavy Soul Posted - 04/30/2011 : 10:26:40
Erata, this is very well put - I also experience the two "sides" of me as incredibly separate. And the symptoms are unbelievably convincing!

I have had burning and tingling for over a week, along with deep fatigue and back pain. Since I'm recovering from successful cancer surgery, it is easy for me to get sympathy (for a change) and have others validate my suffering. But I can tell that this is a tender trap. It feels like a kind of "relief" to be able to say I have something "real," but I ask myself:

"How's that working for you?"

Would I rather be free or right?

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Erata Posted - 04/24/2011 : 10:59:01
Thank you for this thread, which I really relate to, and also what you wrote Avik. It was very helpful for me because I’m beginning to recognize how deep, unrecognized fear physically impacts me. I don’t think fear can be over-emphasized in relation to extreme TMS, and, as Avik points out, “Self compassion is the key to alleviating anxiety that may be rooted in the past.”

I have many of the symptoms described and experienced a kind of epiphany a couple of weeks ago when I linked a triggering incident to later virtual paralysis. I had taken a break from something neutral I was working on and started researching a decades old personal trauma. I came across something indirectly related that was so shocking I couldn’t look at it and exited out, telling myself not to put myself through that. I calmly went back to the neutral work, made phone calls, dealt with other work, etc…. But that night in bed, I experienced (what Avik describes as) 'the bottom half of my body being drugged' (sometimes like filling up with sand), it spread to my arms, which is unusual for me, and I was so paralyzed, I couldn’t move enough to turn out the light. It was very, very scary.

The next morning I was better & I tried to relate what might be bothering me emotionally and realized (dah) I could have had a delayed reaction to what I’d seen; a ‘normal’ person might have been upset at the time, but, since I’ve lived most of my life in a state of chronic low level fear, I can no longer consciously recognize or separate out feelings of fear. But, my body sure can. It’s like there are two of me; the functional, mental me who can calmly and rationally deal with very upsetting events, information, etc…, and then the part of me who is so terrified, I become weak, feel burning pain, or even paralysis.

I realize this is overly simple and incomplete, but I wanted to relate my own experience in how powerful unrecognized and buried fear can be. I’ve also found Claire Weekes’ writing on nerves very beneficial to how fear and anxiety affects the mind/body.
Back2-It Posted - 04/20/2011 : 21:54:35
I have it on my right side.
I woke up two years ago with a heaviness that developed into a burning and achy feeling.

Clothes made my skin jump, and there was a band of burning that went from below my sternum and wrapped around my side to my spine. Misery every day all day long, sitting, standing and walking. And, unlike so many TMS manifestations, it did not move around.

It has gradually gotten better, but as Avik mentioned, nothing makes it go away quickly. It has not yet gone completely.

I am working through my stressors, and forcing myself to exercise and have a normal level of activity, but it is a challenge. I have learned some of my fears, but as Avik says, there must still be some lingering ones.

Avik is right. Recognize it for TMS. Do not let your body get programmed into the pain. Think psychologically. Talk to yourself and, yes, don't beat yourself up. Enough people want to do that daily. No need to do it to yourself. Ignoring, acceptance, floating does seem to help.

Good luck!
avik Posted - 04/20/2011 : 20:45:28
quote:
Originally posted by renee

Renee-

Parasthesia (I may be spelling that incorrectly) and/or Neurolgia is CLASSIC TMS.
Its also a tough one to beat b/c absolutley NOTHING works to make it go away immediately.
I had extreme burning, pins and needles and red blotchy skin all over for months at a time. My burning got so bad that I actually went a full week this past summer wearing only shorts cuz I could not bare the feeling of anything touching my skin. It was agony.

Heres what you can do-I found that my paresthesia correlated with extreme fear. Fear of what, i have/had no clue, but it was fear nonetheless. As a result, Klonopin in very small doses only at night, calmed it down for me. For me, my brain would give me the burning IN PLACE of anxiety. Crossed wires...

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. PLEASE ASK YOUR DOCTOR FOR SOMETHING FOR ANXIETY, I AM MERELY MAKING A SUGGESTION.

Go back to writing and try to identify what might be scaring you.
Talk to yourself every hour, every 20 minutes if you have to....dont yell at yourself!!! (like many recommend)...be kind to yourself.
-Self compassion is the key to alleviating anxiety that may be rooted in the past.
Explain to your brain that everything is ok and that it does not need to grab your attention in such an extreme manner. DO NOT STOP. Talk to yourself every chance you get, even after the pain subsides.

Once it begins to subside....IGNORE. There is nothing you can do that is better than just ignoring. But its best to ignore once youve identified the culprit and realize that its not the end of the world (whatever it is that is REALLY bothering you).

I repeat, burning, pins and needles, electric shocks, numbness-all of it IS TMS. There is nothing wrong with you.

I made it go away with hard work and SO WILL YOU.

EDIT: and by the way, extreme weekness? heaviness?
TMS and yes, TMS.

Ive had it all. Was in a wheelchair b/c I literally could not use my legs. It felt as if someone had drugged the bottom half of my body. Almost like walking underwater...

Dont let your brain take you down this road...its all BS...stop the cycle now.
shannclapp Posted - 04/20/2011 : 05:28:34
I had the burning in my feet, legs and backside. It was pretty scary in fact I drove to my nuero two hrs and told him I had something really wrong. He told me it was anxiety, now I know about TMS probably that, Where is your burning? Feel better
Goodney Posted - 04/20/2011 : 05:16:58
Renee:
In the past I have noticed heaviness in my extremeties and some weakness. It all resolved. Having said that, and keeping in mind how strongly TMS can manifest, if it continues or worsens you still would want to get checked by a physician just to make sure there isn't some sort of neuropathy or radiculopathy going on. Best of luck.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000