TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hi and TMS Wiki

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
forestfortrees Posted - 12/27/2008 : 11:16:39
Hi, folks,

After over 10 years of struggling with what was originally diagnosed as RSI, I’ve recently been learning an awful lot about TMS and am getting pretty excited about it. I’ve been reading a lot (including books by Sarno, Sopher, and Amir), and have been listening to Dr. Schechter’s tapes and working through his workbook. Sometimes I don’t find the books completely convincing, but one thing I’ve found incredibly convincing has been reading testimonials by other RSI-like TMS sufferers, like those by Alexis, Dannord, Redsandro and Bacchus, along with stories contributed by Rachel and Nate and the Seattle RIST page.

You all were a huge help in getting me to take TMS seriously because I could see SO MUCH of my own story in your stories. You were the only people who I saw who were “like me,” so I really want to thank you guys for putting them up.

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, I’ve spent a lot of time, surfing, reading, and thinking, and an idea has been bubbling up in the back of my head. This may seem a little weird, but I’ve been getting excited about the idea of seeing if people might be interested in starting a TMS wiki. One way of thinking about this is that it would be like a mini Wikipedia, devoted entirely to TMS (this would be useful given how important education is in accepting and overcoming this syndrome). Another way of thinking about it would be as a really well developed website devoted to TMS, which, instead of being owned by a specific doctor or other individual, is owned by the entire TMS community, because any one of us can edit it.

Here is what I’m envisioning:
1.) A list of TMS-friendly doctors. It could include information about the doctors such as reviews (or links to forum postings that describe interactions with the doctors) and whether the doctor is a TMS patient themselves.
2.) Frequently asked questions for this forum. For example, if you find that new TMS sufferers who have just found this bulletin board often ask the same questions, and you get tired of writing out the same stories and answers a new time for each of them, you can write it out really well one time and just post a link (or continue to rewrite it each time if you find that to be more personal). Wikis make it incredibly easy to make new web pages like that.
3.) Information on specific conditions and diagnoses related to TMS. Perhaps we could have special pages on GERD, Excema, Chronic Fatigue, RSI, Achilles tendonitis, or Plantar Fasciitis, etc., so that new people who have problems in these areas will understand that these are real places where people get TMS.
4.) A definitive and well organized list of links to other resources on the web, with brief comments about what is helpful and what is not.
5.) Each TMS sufferer who wants to make one, could make a page that was their own, which could contain anything TMS related that they wanted to put up… perhaps a link to their success story or favorite posts on this forum, or a review of the various books and other materials that they’ve read (Amazon and BN.com have reviews, but I’d personally find it more helpful to see a review that compared all of the different books that a person has read, talking about their relative strengths and weaknesses).

If a TMS-wiki could get to the point of establishing itself as an important source of information about TMS, my hope is that people who are helped by it will want to give something back and essentially “pay it forward” by fixing any errors or omissions that they notice (we can put our goodist nature to good use! … in moderation ). I think that that is essentially the model that Wikipedia uses, and it certainly seems to have worked well for them!

I have to confess, that I’m really excited about the idea. I’ll have a lot of free time during the first 2-3 weeks of January, and I’m willing to put about 20 hours into starting the thing up. I’ve started a wiki before, and it’s not at all hard. Ideally, we could get it hosted on Wikia, which would be free and would ensure its democratic nature (Wikia was founded by the main founder of Wikipedia). Editing Wikis is quite easy, and I’d be happy to write a tutorial (posted on the wiki, of course ) about how to do it.

A wiki is only ever as strong as the community support behind it, so community feedback on the early design would be especially important. I’d be very interested in hearing your ideas about:
1.) What do you think would be the most helpful portions of the website?
2.) What else do you think might be good to include in it?
3.) Or any other ideas that you feel like sharing…

Forest
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
forestfortrees Posted - 01/14/2009 : 15:32:13
Hi, Pd245, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties using the computer. I've definitely had my share of those as well. My TMS has come a long way, but I still have symptoms when I use the computer (upper back gets tight and painful; right knee hurts if I sit a certain way, and my left pinky gets numb and tingly). I wish you the best of luck in getting better, and will love having your input whenever you are ready.

Overall, the wiki is growing by leaps and bounds recently. We currently have 10 members, including several from here who are particularly active: pandemonium, TPunk, and especially HillaryN. According to Google Analytics, we've had 73 unique visitors and over 2000 page views even though the wiki is only 8 days old. We've also added a FAQ section, to which Hambone's two questions were added. A big "thank you!" to all of the people who have helped out or offered to help out!

Wetpaint (the site that hosts our wiki) is like most free wiki sites in that it puts up ads on the wikis it hosts so that it can pay its own costs. To get rid of the ads, you have to pay Wetpaint a monthly hosting fee. I’m not making a cent on this (I hope that this was clear to people reading this thread), but because I believe in this project, I’ve started paying the hosting fee. One advantage of doing this is that the entire forum community will now be in compliance with this forum’s "no linking to ad supported sites" policy when we include links to the wiki. (I had been unknowingly violating this policy before.) A second advantage is that we can now all enjoy the site ad free!

ForestForTrees
http://tmswiki.org
(Dave, if you have any objections to us linking now, please let me know and I'll stop)
Pd245 Posted - 01/13/2009 : 20:38:43
quote:
Originally posted by forestfortrees

Based on your feedback and other threads that I've read here, I will prioritize the project. By the way, would you be willing to help with the formatting when I start receiving the survey responses back? Would anyone else like to offer to help? Pd245, perhaps? I'd be more than happy to help with any technical challenges.

Forest,
I just took a look at the wiki and it looks really great. This is exactly the kind of project I love to do. My TMS manifests itself in pain and spasms when I use the computer, so my husband types all my messages and helps me get on the Internet. So, I can't contribute right now, but hopefully I'll start getting better this year and can contribute in some way. Meanwhile, what you're doing is really great and I can't wait to see the wiki grow.
winnieboo Posted - 01/11/2009 : 15:39:05
I think the Wiki is an excellent idea! I followed your links and joined with a new screen name, hopefulheart. The site looks amazing. Will look forward to reading and perhaps contributing from time to time. Thank you!
campbell28 Posted - 01/11/2009 : 10:38:36
hi forest, sorry, having said i'd like to contribute i've been incredibly busy at work and not had time to look at any of this! also impressed you've got everything up and going so quickly. - it looks good. when i said ' contribute' i was thinking of putting up my story etc though, really sorry but i don't think i will get time to do much else - have not been doing this job long and its my main priority at the moment. good luck with the project though and will do what i can to help.

hambone Posted - 01/11/2009 : 07:42:59
WIKI is a great idea. It took me 25 years to find an intensive short term dynamic psychotherapist near my home. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. Sarno is little help outside NYC. A TMS WIKI could be a way for doctors and therapists who don't know squat about TMS to get up to speed without reading a book.

I'd like to see a topic: Getting Unstuck- What to do when progress on TMS stalls. You're reading Sarno books daily, journaling, thinking emotional thoughts, affirming "my leg is perfectly healthy", talking to your subconcious, etc and it's not working. What to try next. Tips from forum members could be golden on this subject.

I'd like to see a topic: Can I really ignore crippling pain just by telling myself the pain is benign even though the pain brings me to my knees? How to break the obsession with pain. How to break conditioning that certain activities will hurt?

STEVEN T HAMBLIN
HilaryN Posted - 01/11/2009 : 06:04:42
Hi Forest,

I've emailed Dr Sarno to ask for a list.

Hilary N

P.S. I love the fact that one doesn't have to trawl through a load of terms and conditions to join the wiki. It really is easy! Bravo, I'm all in favour of simplicity!
forestfortrees Posted - 01/10/2009 : 10:42:56
Hillary, thanks for the feedback. I will definitely work on those things. You've probably noticed the post I made about questions to ask. Based on your feedback and other threads that I've read here, I will prioritize the project. By the way, would you be willing to help with the formatting when I start receiving the survey responses back? Would anyone else like to offer to help? Pd245, perhaps? I'd be more than happy to help with any technical challenges.

In the coming weeks, I will also attempt to contact Dr. Sarno to get an updated list of physicians. (If anyone else would be willing to contact Dr. Sarno to get the updated list of doctors, that help would also be gratefully appreciated.)

By the way, I love that my last two posts here have been in response to other people's posts, not vice versa. A big thanks to TPunk, Pandemonium, and HillaryN for adding profiles on the TMS Wiki and starting to edit pages. Anyone else who wants to join in is encouraged to do the same!

One person asked me if the wiki is ready to be edited. The answer is, yes! Every page is wide open. We can probably learn a lot from Wikipedia regarding how to run a wiki. Their advice is to be bold in editing articles. Don't worry, it is impossible for you to damage anything, because an administrator (like me or like you if you would like) can always undo your changes.

Forest
HilaryN Posted - 01/09/2009 : 12:15:48
Many thanks for your work, fft. I hope to get time to go on there soon.

I'd like to second PD245's excellent suggestion about TMS psychotherapists as I think that's badly needed. (Also an up-to-date list of TMS doctors is needed as the tarpityoga one is out-of-date - I believe the author is very busy and doesn't have time to update it.)

Hilary N
forestfortrees Posted - 01/08/2009 : 17:29:24
@RageSootheRatio: Woohoo!
Thanks for the terrific link!

@Cee: You're not the only one: the have a whole website about using it in education:
http://wikisineducation.wetpaint.com/
It's so easy to use that I think it's great for education.
Cee Posted - 01/08/2009 : 15:58:26
As a Teacher I think this is a great educational idea!

Cee
RageSootheRatio Posted - 01/08/2009 : 15:30:56
Thanks for starting this, FFT. Very quick reply for now: I just tried adding something to your Resources page .. hope that's OK. RSR
forestfortrees Posted - 01/08/2009 : 13:00:49
Wooohoo! Woohooo! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've been getting really nervous recently because I've been putting so much time into this and have been worrying about whether people will actually help out... So your interest is truly gratefully appreciated.

Because I've been worried about people contributing, I moved it to WetPaint.com, which makes it incredibly easy to edit. You just click the "Easy Edit" button on the top of each page and then edit it like you would in a word processor like Microsoft Word (For those who didn't grow up with Microsoft Word or a similar word processor, email me and I'll put up a tutorial with illustrations and step by step directions). There are buttons to make text bold, etc., and you don't have to worry about any sort of codes.

The URL is:
tmswiki . wetpaint . com

Because I just moved it, it's still pretty basic. Because I'm hoping that this will be a long term project, I'm hoping to work together with other people to develop a coherent look and organization for the website. I haven't gotten around to writing about all of that stuff yet, but will try to do that tonight and/or tomorrow.

By the way, if anyone has any questions about the wiki (or other TMS stuff), feel free to IM (Instant Message) me. My username for AIM, Yahoo IM, and msn IM is Forest For Trees @ ymail . com (I've put some extra spaces in there because I've heard that spammers search forums like this to get addresses to send spam to. Please remove the extra spaces if you want to contact me). For Google Talk it's Forest For Trees TMS at gmail . com.

One terrific thing you could do is just make a username an put up a profile, perhaps including a pic. It would be great to start building up the community. Also, the So You Think You Might Have TMS page is a little pathetic right now and could use a lot of work. My goal is to make into something that takes the reader by the hand and leads them through everything they need to do to get the best treatment possible.

FFT
tpunk Posted - 01/08/2009 : 09:31:19
Hi Forest, I tried to access the links you provided and they did not work :( I am anxious to read and contribute whatever I can to make the wiki a success.

Thanks,
Floss
forestfortrees Posted - 01/06/2009 : 17:01:08
Well, folks, I ended up getting the wikia wiki, but had a very surprising change of heart. As I started to build up the wikia wiki, I was a little turned off by how the wiki was filled with all sorts of crazy controls. I kept on thinking back on what carbar had said about wikis being confusing, and decided that if I was going to put a lot of effort into making it, I wanted everybody to be able to enjoy and update it, not just the computer geeks.

forestfortrees Posted - 01/04/2009 : 12:05:52
I just submitted an application to Wikia for a TMS wiki. The application is here:

http://requests.wikia.com/index.php?title=Tms&action=purge

I think that I remember reading that it can take them from 2-10 days to evaluate an application for a wikia.com wiki, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a response back by, say, Thursday.

Forest
forestfortrees Posted - 01/04/2009 : 09:09:00
LOL, I should have explained what a wiki is. Thanks for the reminder.

A wiki is just a collection of web pages that anyone can edit. The name comes from the Hawaiian word for "fast" because it is a really fast way to make a good website. The way that it works is that every page on a wiki has a little button on it that says, "edit this page." If you click on that button you will go to a web page that allows you to edit the text on the original web page. When you are done, you just click on a button that says, "Save Changes," and the original web page is updated to reflect your changes! It's pretty cool.

Mechanically, it works a lot like the TMSHelp forum works. If you think about it, these forums are just a collection of web pages as well. This web page (the one that you are reading right now) contains a conversation. When you decided that you wanted to add your 2 cents to the conversation (thanks again for that), you clicked on a link that said "Reply to topic." This brought you to a special web page that allowed you to write your reply. You wrote,
quote:
Not sure what a wiki is, but anything that helps sounds good to
me. Lorrie O

Lorrie
and pressed "Post New Reply." Suddenly, your new post was a part of the original web page. When I read the web page, I noticed your post and wrote my own little addition to the original web page (i.e. what you are reading now).

The difference between a wiki and a forum is that while you can only add your own reply on a forum, on a wiki, you can change anything that anyone has written. That might seem like it would lead to chaos, but it usually doesn't. I think the reason for this is that human nature is basically good, so that there are more people who want the wiki to have good stuff on it than want it to be messed up. It also helps that if someone makes a change that is just vandalism, the wiki allows you to press a button that automatically undoes the vandalism.

The most famous example of a wiki is Wikipedia. Back in 2001, a guy named Jimmy Wales, decided that it would be a good idea to have an encyclopedia that anyone can edit. He set it up and announced it. People from several small internet communities loved the idea, so they contributed articles on many different subjects. By the end of the year, there were 20,000 different articles in it. It continued to grow explosively, and 8 years later, it now has 2.6 million articles in English and 9.4 million articles in 261 other languages! This incredible success that the wikipedia community has had at building the biggest encyclopedia in the world was one of the reasons that Time magazine named "You" the person of the year for 2006. (By the way, I find that the reports of inaccuracies in wikipedia to be hugely overblown. I have a masters degree and in my subject, the quality of wikipedia's information is truly terrific.)

I think that just as Wikipedia has a great community of editors that has allowed it to become so successful, I believe that the online TMS community has the potential to make a terrific wiki as well. The community that I've seen on this forum seems very interested in helping each other out, and I think that that same enthusiasm could easily be turned to making a wiki that is the best and most authoritative web site on TMS on the internet.

This "TMS wiki" would not in any way be a competitor to the TMSHelp forums or the other online communities of TMS sufferers. On the contrary, it would direct people to those communities and be a great resource for people in those communities, in the same way that the web pages that often get referenced here are a great resource for the community (I know the RSI-like ones the best because that's the type of symptoms I have, but Rachel's homage to Dr. Sarno and the Harvard and Seattle RSI action pages come to mind as examples). If anything, the TMS wiki would make it easier for people to find TMS communities like TMSHelp by having an excellent, up to date and comprehensive page of links.

If you are still not sure what a wiki is, another example might be helpful. A couple of years ago, someone (I don't know who) decided that cooks like exchanging recipes, so they applied to a company called Wikia, and Wikia set up a free wiki for them. Whoever this founder was started posting recipes up on this new wiki, and invited other people to join the wiki. More and more people started adding more and more recipes, to the point where the recipe.wikia.com now has over 10 thousand recipes. Check it out:
http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes_Wiki

Another example would be the Star Wars wiki, called "Wookiepedia." It has over 60,000 articles and is the definitive source on Star Wars trivia:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

This is not to say that there aren't challenges with starting Wikis. When I just went to the recipes wiki, I noticed that someone had vandalized the page, so I "reverted" it to fix it (it took less than 5 seconds because I have a Wikia account and was already logged in). Also, we will have to set up some community standards. For example, we will probably have to decide that TMS doctors and TMS authors must clearly identify themselves if they make any edits on the TMS Wiki, so that they don't use it for advertising. This shouldn't be hard to do in a tight community, because no doctor or author will want to be known as the one who was dishonest enough to try to advertise on the wiki when doing so is prohibited. It might seem like it would be hard to enforce this, but Wikipedia does it successfully, and I think that we can, too.

Does this help?

Forest
leshelly Posted - 01/04/2009 : 06:32:01
Not sure what a wiki is, but anything that helps sounds good to
me. Lorrie O

Lorrie
forestfortrees Posted - 01/03/2009 : 14:34:45
Hi, skizzik, carbar, stefan, tcherie, campbell28, and jim08,

Thank you so much for your feedback and support. I'm so glad that people are interested in the project, since the community of people that read, contribute to, and refer people to a wiki are its heart and soul.

I'm envisioning a really big project and need somewhere to start, so I've decided to start with the parts of the project that people have expressed an interest in. Pd245 was the first person to respond with specific suggestions, so the the work I've done up to now has been primarily focused on the subjects that pd245 mentioned. The first thing is making a list of TMS-aware psychotherapists. I've made a first list and am hoping to send an email and/or paper mail out to each of them soon to collect some more data to include on the page (such as whether they do therapy by phone, as per Pd245's advice).

Since Tcherie and PD245 both said that they thought that an area on each of the ways that TMS can manifest itself (RSI, chronic back pain, etc.) would be helpful, I'm planning on putting some effort into that as well. I'm thinking of going through the TMSHelp success stories forum and categorizing the stories there based on symptom categories, and then including links to exemplary success stories for each TMS equivalent. That way, people could easily find a success story for someone who is "like them," without the daunting task of having to read through all of the postings.

I'll be submitting an application for a TMS wiki soon, and will keep you folks updated.

By the way, an especially big thanks to campbell28 for offering to help with the wiki. There may not be much to do at this point until we get an official wiki, but I'd definitely be interested in hearing from others who might be willing to help. Editing a wiki is incredibly easy (given how intimidating most people find computers, they must be, if wikis are to be successful) and I'm glad to "hold people's hands," to show them how. Alternatively, people can just post text on these forums, and I can paste it in to the wiki.

Any other ideas for what would be most helpful/what should be included?

Forest
jim08 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 09:57:30
I would also support this project!

"...whenever you try to be all things to all people, you end up being nothing to nobody."
campbell28 Posted - 01/03/2009 : 03:29:14
sounds like a good plan! would be happy to contribute.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000