TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 The 12 daily reminders...J. Sarno

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Baseball65 Posted - 01/15/2005 : 20:02:55
Seth had just asked,so here they are

This is really the apex of HBP....if it was a novel,this would be the climax,the rest would be appendix and anecdotal supporting evidence.

1.The pain is due to TMS,not to a structural abnormality
2.The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
3.TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions
4.The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER
5.TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions
6.Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear
7.Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous
8.And I MUST resume all normal physical activity
9.I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain
10.I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues
11.I intend to be in control-NOT my subconscious mind
12.I must think Psychological at all times,NOT physical.

I think it of paramount importance to actually set aside the time to do this...like setting aside time to pray.It's not enough to only be in agreement for a flash of a moment while reading,nodding in agreement,and then neglecting to ACTUALLY spend the 15 minutes.

It is imperative to actually go somewhere quiet and review these on paper,reading them aloud if possible,and giving a whopping 90 seconds of thought to each one,no matter HOW CERTAIN you are that you "know" this information.

I read posts by some who are not progressing,and I can't help but wonder if they really set aside time to do it.....not once...not "but company came over",,,,,"but I was at work and couldn't be alone" "but the kids,the wife,the game yada,yada,yada.""""

The thought that comes to mind when I hear of people who won't humble themselves to take the time to ACTUALLY do this,is their pain just isn't bad enough yet...they found Sarno too soon.

I know one personally...this person is certain that they are having TMS after discussing it with me,but just will not take the time...from the bit they have gleaned,they think it's just a matter of pinpointing what's bothering them,which it is NOT or I never would have recovered....it's about submitting to a process.
I now ignore this persons complaints,as it is a waste of my time to listen......I just pretend to listen and wait until they're done........it's like a person complaining about the cold with a jacket tied around their waist...they just like to complain.
I suppose they'll either limp thru life,or get really bad and actually do the work.....but most people would rather have their pain and whine about it.It's actually easier than getting well.

Take the freakin' 15 minutes.

peace

Baseball65
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MikeySama Posted - 05/29/2007 : 14:32:46
I think you just woke me up Baseball65... The entire reason my pains keep on returning is simply because i don't take the 15 minutes...

Only whenever i feel pain coming on do i go back to reading the book, or do some journalling. And even then i just tell myself i'll do it when i lay down in bed, or on the busride tomorrow.

I guess that's why i'm not "really" getting there is it? I take it you set aside time for TMS everyday, right?
shawnsmith Posted - 05/29/2007 : 06:33:27
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was."

Dag Hammarskjold, 1905-1961, Swedish Statesman, Secretary-General of the United Nations

Sarno-ize it!
Do you have a pain-prone personality?
http://www.bradyinstitute.com/aboutBook/painProne.asp
Wavy Soul Posted - 05/28/2007 : 23:50:54
quote:
I now ignore this persons complaints,as it is a waste of my time to listen......I just pretend to listen and wait until they're done........it's like a person complaining about the cold with a jacket tied around their waist...they just like to complain.
I suppose they'll either limp thru life,or get really bad and actually do the work.....but most people would rather have their pain and whine about it.It's actually easier than getting well.

Aaargh!

I'm so frustrated about this with one person who has gone downhill into disability but didn't feel it was important to really do the work. I don't even want to listen to her any more, but don't want to abandon her either. It's confronting for me to find the middle ground.

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Littlebird Posted - 05/28/2007 : 15:26:29
Skizzik, thanks for bumping that. I hadn't seen it before, but it's a great reminder.
skizzik Posted - 05/28/2007 : 14:43:55
I can't help but to keep bumping Baseballs old posts. I've been going thru them, and they've been helping so much. I have made the mistake of reading that same page (p. 82 hbp) over and over w/ out thinking about each one seperately, and getting fustrated w/ out instant relief. I'll approach it differently now. Thanx Baseball!
Bazz Posted - 01/16/2005 : 04:49:27
I think you're right. Dr. Sarno emphasizes the importance of not making it a daily routine, because it doesn't take effect then.

I have the most difficulty in practice with the 4 rules at the bottom of the list, like not being intimidated and staying in control etc. To me that are the largest opponents in the fight against TMS.

Barry
Laura Posted - 01/15/2005 : 22:06:46
I'll second that!
tennis tom Posted - 01/15/2005 : 21:00:59
Amen, Baseball65.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000