TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 hypervigilance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
miquel Posted - 09/10/2017 : 12:05:03

I wonder about the role of a hypervigilant personality in the genesis of TMS pain.
By hypervigilant personality I mean an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect supposed dangers as well as a high responsiveness to stimuli and a constant scanning of the environment for threats, no matter how benign

("stop!, beware!!!!! look carefully at the expiration date of that yogurt!")

More from the web:
Typical examples of root causes of hypervigilance syndrome include frequent ridicule, a perceived humiliation, or the rejection of achievements. The disorder can also be caused by a single traumatic event, the memory of which has been suppressed deeply within the subconscious mind.
Hypervigilant people become very bogged down in the trivial details of everyday life and can waste huge amounts of personal energy on seemingly unimportant things.

Interesting subject, IMHO !

thanks !

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fox Posted - 09/13/2017 : 11:24:32
I love that expression - "What you seek, you shall find". How true. Here's another expression to chew on that I find helpful - "Cherchez Le Should" - or "Look for the Should". That's from Albert Ellis, father of cognitive therapy. He's saying if you are emotionally upset, look for the illogical, irrational "should" or the "must" in your thinking - which is causing your current emotional upset - and reframe that thinking to a more logical point of view.
KristenG Posted - 09/13/2017 : 07:41:07
For myself, I would say that hypervigilance plays a huge part of TMS and is a source of anxiety for me. I do try to acknowledge that this is just me and try to reframe my thinking in to something more realistic. It's not that I don't know what is realistic and what is not. It's more that my automatic reaction to any situation is to be hypervigilant. More of a habit, perhaps?

Fox, I also have been guilty of scanning my body upon waking to see if I still have an ache or pain. I've also tried to break that habit. It is one of those, what you seek, you shall find situations for me. I can honestly say that I have never done a scan of my body and NOT found any issues. I now try to think about what is on my agenda for the day upon waking, and then just get in to my routine for the day. it works well on work days, but is a little more difficult on my days off. The whole thing has become a practice in patience.

Kristen

Worry is the misuse of imagination.
Fox Posted - 09/11/2017 : 12:57:01
I believe I have read some TMS discussion about hypervigilance relating to the TMSer's misperception of sensations within his or her body. For example, upon waking up in the morning, doing an automatic "scan" or search for pain or other unwanted sensation within the body either to confirm that, yes, that problem pain is still there, or some new other pain or unwanted sensation is there (as in symptom substitution). I think that this is a common process among TMSERS. I know this process was a part of my long lasting (but now "cured") tinnitus where I misinterpreted normal sounds within my auditory system as loud ringing just by focusing too much on that part of my body's normal operation and developing a fear of that perception. If you want to read more about my success in "curing" my tinnitus using a combination of Sarno and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), go to my entry under Tinnitus on the TMS Wiki website.
tennis tom Posted - 09/10/2017 : 19:07:55
quote:
Originally posted by miquel

By hypervigilant personality I mean an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect supposed dangers as well as a high responsiveness to stimuli and a constant scanning of the environment for threats, no matter how benign

("stop!, beware!!!!! look carefully at the expiration date of that yogurt!")

sounds like touches of the universal inferiority complex, with some paranoia, hypochondria, thrown in. It's good to be situationally aware in environments that call for it like crossing the road, but not on high alert all the time like when snoozing in a hammock. I don't worry too much about expirations on yogurt they have a long shelf life, with salads in a bag, I do try to find the newest one.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000