TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Existential Therapy - Part 1, Introduction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dr. Zafirides Posted - 11/01/2013 : 16:50:11
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry I haven't been on the forum in a while. It's been for good reasons (expansion of our office/practice and giving myself permission to spend more time with my family).

I wanted to make you aware of a series of podcasts on existential therapy I will be recording for The Healthy Mind. I am in the process of teaching a 6-week course at Ohio State University on existential therapy and I have decided to record each week as a separate podcast.

I talk a lot about existential therapy on my show and many people have emailed me over the last year asking me to do a few podcasts on the existential approach. So here you go:

http://www.thehealthymind.com/2013/10/30/091-existential-therapy-part-1-introduction/

While I don't doubt rage and anger are important emotions in relation to TMS, my approach has been to understand TMS as a result to existential anxieties of the human condition - Meaning, Freedom, Isolation and Death.

I plan to do a separate podcast on each of the above existential anxieties as well as a separate show on how I use this specific approach in treating my patients with TMS.

I hope you find these shows helpful and worthwhile. Don't hesitate to comment or ask me any questions you may have. You can do so here or email me.

Never doubt your strength. Ever.

Dr. Z
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
balto Posted - 11/04/2013 : 07:31:07
It seem to me that all these human concerns have one thing in common, they all create fear in our mind. Like Ace1 said in another topic, I think our only way to get rid of these concerns are "acceptance". I think acceptance will eliminate our fear, convert "concern" to unconcern, and lead to wellness for our body and mind.

So now the challenge is how to achieve acceptance to these human concerns?

Thanks for the podcast Dr. Z.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.
njoy Posted - 11/03/2013 : 21:29:11
Thank you, Dr. Z. I've been looking for just this. Too often we shy away from the big existential questions.

"It's worth considering that tms is not a treatment but rather an unfolding of the self, and a way of living as an emotionally aware and engaged soul." Plum

PLEASE READ!

I have been studying and using Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy for several months now and have found it most helpful in digging out what is really going on with me to cause tms symptoms.

Over at tmswiki.org there is NOW a mailing list for those who want to try using IFS for TMS. I hope you will try it out. The conversations are already going strong. You can read about IFS and find a form to sign up here:
http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/mailing-list-for-parts-therapy-tms.2868/

Learning to use the IFS therapy for self help is pretty easy, as these things go. There is a lot of info available on youtube.com and various other web sites. including tmswiki.org. If you search "Internal Family Systems", you'll find it. My recommendation for a book is Self Therapy by Jay Earley which costs less than $ 10 on Kindle (also available in paperback at amazon.com). It's thorough and clearly written.

The mailing list is a great way for us to support each other as we look at how IFS and other parts therapies can help.

Finally, best wishes to all who suffer from tms, especially those who are still struggling with symptoms. May we all find peace and comfort.

Dr. Zafirides Posted - 11/03/2013 : 19:29:49
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

Joking apart, I am dealing with a serious cancer surgery in my family currently, and your commentary regarding fear of death was noted and received with thanks.

Andy,

You are most welcome. I am glad you found it helpful, especially during this difficult time.

Be well,
Dr. Z
Dr. Zafirides Posted - 11/03/2013 : 19:27:19
quote:
Originally posted by Cath

Dr Zafirides - I found this podcast wonderfully insightful into my situation and condition over the last painful 5 years. I can relate to each of the four anxieties you mention, and recognise the conflict I experience in all of these areas. It appears that all of my tectonic plates were, and are colliding at the same time.

I look forward to listening to more on this subject in your future podcasts.

Cath,

Thanks for your kind words. Please realize, these ultimate concerns are part of the human condition. We all feel them. It is part of being human. We deal with them in healthy and unhealthy ways. And pain (including pain of TMS) is but one way we manifest these human struggles.

I am really happy you found the podcast helpful. More is on the way! I have a feeling this is going to be, at minimum, a 4-part series.

Kindly,
Dr. Z
Dr. Zafirides Posted - 11/03/2013 : 19:20:44
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus

Imagine it is 3000 BC and a wise man announces that he understands why so many people mysteriously die or are otherwise unable to perform normal activities. Suppose that this wise man announces that he has discovered that there are four ultimate maladies: head and neck disorder, torso disorder, leg disorder and arm disorder. Would this discovery advance medical science? Would it enable the causes of illness to be understood? Would it hasten the discovery of effective treatment for those illnesses?

Peregrinus,

Let's keep your example going... IF the wise man's theory is found to help people and IF the prevailing scientific understanding in 3000BC has failed to provide either solace from these maladies or a sense of clarity as to their cause, then...

Yes, it could potentially advance medical science by providing a different perspective not previously considered by other wise men - either due to dogma, inflexible thinking or secondary gain within the status quo.

Yes, it could potentially enable part of the cause of illness to be understood, previously unseen due to dogma, inflexible thinking or secondary gain within the status quo.

As for your last question, unless he is the only wise man in the community (which I will assume he is not) why would it hasten discovery of "effective" treatments? A contrary viewpoint is not only important, but should be expected and welcomed in pursuit of truth. But I am sure the wise man knows this already and looks forward to many stimulating intellectual discussions.

Kindly,
Dr. Z

Cath Posted - 11/03/2013 : 07:12:59
Dr Zafirides - I found this podcast wonderfully insightful into my situation and condition over the last painful 5 years. I can relate to each of the four anxieties you mention, and recognise the conflict I experience in all of these areas. It appears that all of my tectonic plates were, and are colliding at the same time.

I look forward to listening to more on this subject in your future podcasts.
andy64tms Posted - 11/02/2013 : 19:21:16
Hi Peregrinus,

The answer to your somewhat three rhetorical questions could be: Yes, Yes ,Yes. As any discovery that promotes thoughtfulness would duly advance medical science, enhance understanding and hasten effective treatments, even though it might take 5000 years or so for evolution to bring these discoveries to light.

I’m hesitant to give a firm answer, as this might be a trick question with multiple choice answers, and I’m perhaps not intellectual enough to understand these deep questions.

Perhaps "Existence Psychotherapy" is too new age for me as I like to keep my TMS simple. I don’t understand it even after going to Wikipedia for a definition.

Hi Dr. Z, I listened to your podcast and am obviously not ready to address these subjects as I contribute:

Freedom to Windsurfing.

Isolation to Windsurfing alone.

Death, not being able to Windsurf.

Joking apart, I am dealing with a serious cancer surgery in my family currently, and your commentary regarding fear of death was noted and received with thanks.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Peregrinus Posted - 11/02/2013 : 18:03:08
Imagine it is 3000 BC and a wise man announces that he understands why so many people mysteriously die or are otherwise unable to perform normal activities. Suppose that this wise man announces that he has discovered that there are four ultimate maladies: head and neck disorder, torso disorder, leg disorder and arm disorder. Would this discovery advance medical science? Would it enable the causes of illness to be understood? Would it hasten the discovery of effective treatment for those illnesses?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000