TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Why does motrin and advil work???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Joel D. Posted - 04/02/2005 : 09:45:32
First let me say that I have been diagnosed with TMS by Dr. Brady in Florida. After an examination he told me I am a classic case. I know I have to believe him to get better. However, according to Dr. Sarno's book, ibuprofin will not help with TMS pain. I definetly have less sciatic pain after taking Motrin or Advil though. What do you guy's make of this? One more thing. I have the most pain when I stoop down to pick something up off the floor. It really, really burns in the back of my thigh. Am I to grit my teeth and just deal with the pain or what? My mind tells me by doing this I will just agravate the problem. I WILL do whatever it takes though. Thank's Guy's.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dave Posted - 04/05/2005 : 08:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie

...if you are taking meds you are concentrating on the pain. You are unconsciously buying into the theory that something is "wrong". Ignoring the pain and focusing on the rage is the hardest part for me. I'm not sure how to do that. Does that mean when you are in pain...try to think about what you may be angry about? That doesn't seem to help me.

This is not right about meds. In fact, taking meds could help you to ignore the pain during acute episodes. Dr. Sarno prescribes strong pain killers. Taking them when you need them is not contradictory to the TMS approach. The pain is real, and suffering is not a necessary part of recovery.

The book clearly spells out the treatment steps. I suggest you re-read the "Treatment" chapter and apply it.
Jackie Posted - 04/04/2005 : 16:52:19
I was taking 600 mg of motrin 2x a day...It seemed to help..it is a pain reliever...and TMS is real pain.This was before I read Dr. Sarno's book. The problem is as you stated...if you are taking meds you are concentrating on the pain. You are unconsciously buying into the theory that something is "wrong".Ignoring the pain and focusing on the rage is the hardest part for me. I'm not sure how to do that. Does that mean when you are in pain...try to think about what you may be angry about? That doesn't seem to help me.

I have made some progress...I'm not taking any meds now and while I am still in some pain...it is not nearly as bad as it was. I know I have to work harder...journal...read the book...meditate. Sometimes when I have a bad day it is easy to get overwhelmed...and then the pain is worse.

I thought that I read that Dr. Sarno said if you need to take something once in a while...don't make a big deal out of it...just take it. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

Jackie
Dave Posted - 04/04/2005 : 07:06:23
quote:
Originally posted by Joel D.

...according to Dr. Sarno's book, ibuprofin will not help with TMS pain ...

I do not think this is accurate. Dr. Sarno says the anti-inflammatory effects of Ibuprofen are unnecessary because with TMS there is no inflammation (a statement that I personally do not agree with).

Ibufprofen is an analgesic, and thus offers real relief from pain (though if you get major relief there is likely to be some placebo effect).
tennis tom Posted - 04/03/2005 : 10:45:23
Use pain medications cautiously. I spent three days in the hospital a year ago after losing a lot of blood. I had been taking alleves at about three times the reccommended dose. I finally passed out and woke up on the bathroom floor, called 911 and was ambulanced to ER. I was told that one of the most common causes for hospitaliztion is ulcers due to overuse of OTC pain meds. It was my first hospitaliztion. I chipped my tooth and bruised my head. Total bill $25,000 plus for three days. First time I had to use my Blue Cross Ins and it sure came in handy.

The warning signs for me were dark "tarry' colored stools and a feeling of weakness. I had no stomach pain.

I have since taken NO OTC pain killers and feel NO more pain than when I took them. I think they can do some good for an occasional headache or a "real" injury like a sprained ankle. I feel using OTC pain killers on a chronic basis for TMS pain can cause more promblems than they help. The fall from passing out due to blood loss can be much more dangerous than the orignial reason for taking the pain killers.

They are so cheap and their dangers are so little discussed. My bottom line, I havn't taken one for over a year and my pain is NO worse. I feel their pain relieving affects become placebo in extended use. You pop a few and feel better because of the placebo conditioning effect.
pault Posted - 04/02/2005 : 19:03:55
Joel,I do not think Dr. sarno said Ibuprophen would not help.What He meant was it would not stop or cure tms,only make you feel as though it is possibly physical.Ibuprophen is a anti-inflamitory/pain killer and also is effective as a plecebo as Baseball65 so well stated.Having pain at any location,treated with meds will help,but that means nothing.Taking a medication is simply treating a symptom,but does not confirm a diagnosis.I would go with Dr.Brady as treat it as tms.Tms is a real physical inflamation that will cause pain in situations like you stated,stooping down causes inflamed areas to strech and are painful.Just remind yourself of the origin of the pain and that it is real but harmless.Keep reading and feel well soon. Paul.
Baseball65 Posted - 04/02/2005 : 10:22:39
Hi Joel.

Whenever something 'works' like that,what you have is the placebo effect.Perhaps early on in the development in your TMS you took some,believed it might reduce the pain,it DID and you associated the relief with the med.

Because you believed it would work,it did.This is the placebo effect.If you look at that little throw away piece of paper in any jar of medication,it always has the placebo vs. medication research necessary for FDA approval..virtually every medication made has a substantial placebo effect.

My buddy who read Sarno and got well worked for a pharmaceutical company as a sales person.He was really skeptical as we talked until we discussed this phenomenon.His eyes lit up when he made the connection....the placebo effect drives Pharmaceutical manufacturers CRAZY...it means that a substantial portion of the population will get the result WITHOUT taking their med.

This does NOT mean that you are easily fooled or a dupe...we ALL had some sort of placebo....mine were Chiropractic "adjustments",My lumbar corset and PT....Chiro in particular.I thought I was "better" after each visit.After reading Sarno,it made perfect sense...I had good results in the past,really liked the guy and associated it with pain reduction...I believed and it worked.

we are ALL easily conditioned,though as intelligent beings,it stings our ego.

As far as bending,keep reading and don't challenge yourself too much until you have allowed the information to sink in...otherwise you'll just cause yourself more grief.

Peace

Baseball65

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000