TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Comment

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shawnsmith Posted - 06/11/2013 : 14:20:06
Hi all

Hi all,

I humbly request that people on this discussion forum would stop talking about their specific symptoms as doing so sends out a giant meme and acts as a powerful nocebo to those who read such posts. SteveO, in his book, warned against joining online discussion forums which discusses symptoms as it is counter productive and impedes recovery.

Don't talk about your symptoms, talk about what is going on in your life.

“Living up to an image that you have of yourself or that
other people have of you is inauthentic living – another unconscious role the ego plays.” -- Ekhart Tolle
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 21:51:52
Darko you're late to this party and missed a few sessions that were conveniently deleted.
Darko Posted - 06/14/2013 : 20:11:00
He gets plenty of respect.....I don't think there is a person on here that doesn't respect him.....but he doesn't know EVERYTHING on the subject.....he's not the mind body GOD.

There is much to be learned from others IN ADDITION to him......I think that's what people are try to get through to the Sarno fundamentalists
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 20:00:02
quote:
Originally posted by Darko

Because I don't give a toss what Sarno says about it.

That's the prevalent attitude around here these days. Glad the old man's not here, he got enough abuse from his colleagues. Pretty weird he gets no respect at a board dedicated to his teachings--but that's the "modern world".

tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:55:19
quote:

quote:
I've got a better idea, dump sarno altogether and call it the Weekes Board or the Ace Board or the Hillbilly Board? What's TENSION got to do with it anyway.

what a load of garbage!

I prefer "Darko's forum of infinite wisdom and awesomeness"....has a nice ring to it.....and my ego approves.

D

That has a nice Guinness like dark ring to it Darko. Message Dave, maybe he'll sell the board to you.
Darko Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:54:30
Because I don't give a toss what Sarno says about it. I'm looking at what other people who have eased the pain say about it.....plus my experience.
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:50:13
quote:

TT......I know this is a crazy suggestion and I'm likely to be ridiculed for the rest of my life...BUT.....could tension be interlinked with anxiety??????? Just maybe?

Darko, why don't you look it up in your sarno and tell us what he has to say about it, I'm going down to the hot-tub, to arm wrestle with some babes.
Darko Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:48:52
quote:
I've got a better idea, dump sarno altogether and call it the Weekes Board or the Ace Board or the Hillbilly Board? What's TENSION got to do with it anyway.

what a load of garbage!

I prefer "Darko's forum of infinite wisdom and awesomeness"....has a nice ring to it.....and my ego approves.

D
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:45:20
Well I guess it's the party atmosphere that keeps 'em coming back.
Darko Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:41:40
More "mental stress" in my life....more pain and symptoms for me. TMS is the term used to describe the process of physical manifestations from some sort of repressed emotional stimulus, is it not?

Stress, fear or anger ( or whatever negativity ) is the input.....and TMS is the output..yes?

So it's easy to see why people refer to it as anxiety......I can definitely relate to that.......I'll be joining team anxiety.....which is stupid to have to choose when it's really the same thing.

Let me get my dueling glove.

or we could finish this like real men.......2 days of drinking and arm wrestling.

TT......I know this is a crazy suggestion and I'm likely to be ridiculed for the rest of my life...BUT.....could tension be interlinked with anxiety??????? Just maybe?

bryan3000 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by art

TMS almost always involves some manifestation of stress, which broadly speaking means anxiety. Many professionals now refer to what sarno calls TMS as stress disorder, stress illness, psychophysiologic disorder, autonomic overload disorder (which means stress)...

As usual, Art nails it.

tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 19:25:21
quote:
Originally posted by pspa123

We need an apocalyptic battle once and for all between the Sarno and Weekes teams to settle the never-ending debate. The losing side has to go to another forum. Agreed?

pspa123 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 18:45:59
We need an apocalyptic battle once and for all between the Sarno and Weekes teams to settle the never-ending debate. The losing side has to go to another forum. Agreed?
art Posted - 06/14/2013 : 18:11:37
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Bryan, just curious as to why keep on calling TMS "anxiety"? This is the TMS Help Forum and TMS covers a lot of other symptoms besides anxiety. You mentioned you had been to all the other "anxiety" boards, how did you happen to settle in at the TMS board.? Wouldn't it be more logical for you to discuss anxiety at an anxiety forum, that focuses on that topic since it's your issue? Just honestly wondering and not trying to start anything new with you.

Best wishes on your ongoing TMS recovery. Sorry to hear you're haveing a rough week, Happy Father's Day!

Cheers,
tt/lsmft

TMS almost always involves some manifestation of stress, which broadly speaking means anxiety. Many professionals now refer to what sarno calls TMS as stress disorder, stress illness, psychophysiologic disorder, autonomic overload disorder (which means stress)...
tennis tom Posted - 06/14/2013 : 14:55:37
Bryan, just curious as to why keep on calling TMS "anxiety"? This is the TMS Help Forum and TMS covers a lot of other symptoms besides anxiety. You mentioned you had been to all the other "anxiety" boards, how did you happen to settle in at the TMS board.? Wouldn't it be more logical for you to discuss anxiety at an anxiety forum, that focuses on that topic since it's your issue? Just honestly wondering and not trying to start anything new with you.

Best wishes on your ongoing TMS recovery. Sorry to hear you're haveing a rough week, Happy Father's Day!

Cheers,
tt/lsmft
bryan3000 Posted - 06/14/2013 : 14:43:19
Newbies are always going to need help solving symptoms. That's always where overcoming anxiety starts. So, asking new posters not to talk about their symptoms is silly.
If it's a "nocebo" for anyone at this point, they should't come here.

The end of symptom-discussion is the finish line... not the starting line.

Peregrinus Posted - 06/14/2013 : 14:13:14
Shawn:
I generally agree with Peter although obsessing about symptoms is a dead end. It is important to understand that TMS isn’t just about back pain and stiff necks. It is also important to understand that once you are convinced that a symptom is being caused by emotional stress it is often replaced by another symptom. After joining this forum because of my chronic back pain I had an accident and recall that while in the emergency room I noticed my back was completely pain free. This was proof that there was nothing wrong with my back (something that I strongly acknowledged) . However, shortly afterward I had intense groin pain which was completely new and had nothing to do with my accident. Several months passed before I realized, helped no doubt by reading about symptoms on this forum, that this new pain was also TMS.
PS: Great ET quote!
art Posted - 06/12/2013 : 15:51:58
quote:
Originally posted by shawnsmith

The reason I put up the post, Art, is that SteveO states in his book: Don't join an online forum that discusses symptoms as it makes matters worse. He further states that talking about symptoms is itself TMSing. Ace1 and Dr. Z, although doctors, cannot diagnose you over the internet.

other people have of you is inauthentic living – another unconscious role the ego plays.” -- Ekhart Tolle

HI Shawn,

I can't say it any better than Ace, And of course no one is diagnosing anyone. People come here because they are suffering. The first question they almost always have is, I have XYZ symptom. Has anyone here had the same symptom and treated it successfully as TMS I just don't see a problem with that. It's how I got here, and countless others. You'd be restricting newcomers to abstract concepts that wouldn't have much meaning.

FWIW, I generally urge people to get a medical opinion first and foremost. It's Sarno's first rule, and one we should all heed.
Ace1 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 10:48:22
Hello Shawn,
The forums that steve talks about are the one that willow in their suffering and have no clue about the basic cause. In this forum, this is not the case. You actually are not supposed to shy away from something that is scary to you bc that only sensitizes you more. You want to be able to encounter it and it not cause you grief. You have to be aware on how it affects you going into it. The awareness is key.
In the beginning you may want to do this deconditioning process in increments or slowly. I think the more you "restrict" yourself to life the more it will affect you in the long run. Remember it is really the intensity of your thinking that is the basic problem, not really anything around you.
pspa123 Posted - 06/12/2013 : 06:32:02
I cannot imagine a TMS forum where people especially newcomers do not discuss their symptoms. Shawn if nocebo is an issue for you maybe you need to avoid those threads?
shawnsmith Posted - 06/12/2013 : 06:14:29
The reason I put up the post, Art, is that SteveO states in his book: Don't join an online forum that discusses symptoms as it makes matters worse. He further states that talking about symptoms is itself TMSing. Ace1 and Dr. Z, although doctors, cannot diagnose you over the internet.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000