TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Why?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Scout Posted - 03/27/2005 : 18:07:53
I am presently having back spasms that make it difficult to carry-on throughout the day. I am totally tilted to one side and it is painful no matter what position I am in.
I am a firm believer in TMS and I have been working on it for a long time. I am confused by the return of spasms and need some coping skills. This is my second day of major pain and I am trying not to worry about the pain (is it something that will go away, is it physical, etc.) but I am wondering how long the spasm are going to last. I have been thinking psychologically and focusing on what is bothering me but the spasm continue.
I feel like I went over the deep end. I felt it coming on last week and I tried to fight it. I feel like I lost the battle and now I am having a major attack. I need help with how to cope with the pain until this major attack goes away.

Scout
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stryder Posted - 04/06/2005 : 20:35:31
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Once an acute attack comes, it takes time to go away, even if you have addressed and resolved the emotional issues that caused it.

I know it's difficult but you have to try not to focus on the pain. Don't ask yourself "when is it going to end." Don't pay it any attention. Whenever you are aware of the pain, consult your list. Don't have a list? Start one!

Hi Scout,

Hope you are doing better, now a week since your original post. Dave hit the nail on the head. Also, try this during an acute attack: Don't fight the pain. Let it hurt. Don't try to figure out "why" or "how long". The pain is not going to damage you, its just your brain telling you that the TMS muscle pain is there, thats all, nothing bad is going to happen. Embrace the pain, accept it, and unlearn your obsession about it. You really dont have to think about it, its just a bad habit. Its nothing. It can't damage you. Its just pain, a signal. Let it go. And you just go on with your life.

It took me a while, but I came up with this strategy while flat on my back unable to get out of bed with severe LBP. This was before I became Sarno-aware. Now, of course, it all makes sense. I have used that strategy a few times, and it helps me be less obsessive about what is going on.

Keep the faith. Aim high. You will overcome.

Hope this helps, - Stryder
miehnesor Posted - 04/01/2005 : 17:22:57
quote:
Originally posted by Scout

I come from a family that does not express conflict. I have never heard my dad raise his voice to anyone in my family including my step-mother. We never argue outright there just always seems to be tension looming in the background. Recently, I have gotten discouraged with my sister because every time I talk with her she is bad mouthing either my mom, step-mom, or little sister. I agree with most of the things that she says but I have decided to make a conscious effort not to talk about people behind their back.
This strategy is how we dealt with the death of my brother 11 years ago. We just don't talk about it a whole lot. We will bring up his name and we used to call on the date of the anniversary of his death but it was always a very surface discussion. This week while I have been trying to figure out why I had an attack when all my family visited last weekend I spent some time going through my box of stuff from my brother. I had a mix tape he had made me and I realized that I haven't listened to it in 11 years because I was scared. I also looked through the material from his memorial service and realized that I haven't really looked at the pictures in just as long. I have made an appointment with a therapist in hopes that this might be the emotional key to my TMS.
Thanks for reading--this is the first time I have ever posted something so personal and it is the opposite of my usual approach to things

Scout

I had the feeling from your post that your family doesn't accept emotions very well. Sounds like you got the message either verbally or not that you had better keep a lid on it. Sounds like a good TMS producer to me.

Good luck in the therapy. Seems like you are on the right track.
Logan Posted - 03/31/2005 : 21:45:09
Scout,
I want to wish you well and tell you that I hope your session with the therapist helps. Furthermore, I wanted to tell you not to beat up on yourself for having a "relapse." I know the temptation because I've been "pain free" for 2+ years now but during that time I've had 2 minor "relapses," essentially a muscle spasm in my left neck/shoulder area.

It's frustrating and it sure can make you feel like you've "failed" in some way, like you're letting yourself down etc. I think this is part of the TMS strategy, it sucks to feel bad about yourself but it's not nearly as scary as dealing with feelings of intense grief, like you feel in regard to the loss of your brother.

My "relapse 2" was just last week and the leftover pain and stiffness is finally almost gone now. I was able to head off a major attack, so the intense spasm lasted only a second or two and the resulting loss of mobility, tenderness etc. was slight but still...it's so frustrating.

I think mine happened because of a "touching" episode of Malcolm in the Middle (of all things) where Lois actually apologized to Francis for not being a good mom to him and he was upset because he'd dreamed about that exact moment for years yet when it came, it didn't make him feel any better. So Lois gave him $200 because at least it was something. :) It made me sort of freak out about my own mom "stuff."

What I mean to say is that s*** happens and flare ups might be part of that s***
on occasion. But you've already done the hardest bit which is accepting the TMS theory so you don't have to worry or kick yourself over a little *twinge*.

Take care.
Scout Posted - 03/31/2005 : 20:47:15
I come from a family that does not express conflict. I have never heard my dad raise his voice to anyone in my family including my step-mother. We never argue outright there just always seems to be tension looming in the background. Recently, I have gotten discouraged with my sister because every time I talk with her she is bad mouthing either my mom, step-mom, or little sister. I agree with most of the things that she says but I have decided to make a conscious effort not to talk about people behind their back.
This strategy is how we dealt with the death of my brother 11 years ago. We just don't talk about it a whole lot. We will bring up his name and we used to call on the date of the anniversary of his death but it was always a very surface discussion. This week while I have been trying to figure out why I had an attack when all my family visited last weekend I spent some time going through my box of stuff from my brother. I had a mix tape he had made me and I realized that I haven't listened to it in 11 years because I was scared. I also looked through the material from his memorial service and realized that I haven't really looked at the pictures in just as long. I have made an appointment with a therapist in hopes that this might be the emotional key to my TMS.
Thanks for reading--this is the first time I have ever posted something so personal and it is the opposite of my usual approach to things

Scout
miehnesor Posted - 03/31/2005 : 15:12:37
quote:
Originally posted by Scout

Thank you for your post. I am feeling a little better today. The spasms have stopped and I am working with a lot of stiffness. I have noticed that I don't like people asking me about the pain because it makes me doubt the cause of it. I ended up leaving work yesterday and spending the afternoon rereading the Sarno book and trying to figure out what caused all of this. I think I found the key--my brother's death seems to surface emotionally for me when my parents come to visit. I am further exploring this but everytime I feel really focused on the emotional I waiver to the evil physical thoughts.
Thanks again for any post--they help me out a lot
Tough week for me

Scout

Perhaps if you sit down and start writing about what you have discovered then you can stay more focused on the emotions that are triggering your symptoms. Sounds heavy. If you share more about the emotional stuff then maybe the group can help you more.
Scout Posted - 03/30/2005 : 09:55:11
Thank you for your post. I am feeling a little better today. The spasms have stopped and I am working with a lot of stiffness. I have noticed that I don't like people asking me about the pain because it makes me doubt the cause of it. I ended up leaving work yesterday and spending the afternoon rereading the Sarno book and trying to figure out what caused all of this. I think I found the key--my brother's death seems to surface emotionally for me when my parents come to visit. I am further exploring this but everytime I feel really focused on the emotional I waiver to the evil physical thoughts.
Thanks again for any post--they help me out a lot
Tough week for me

Scout
mala Posted - 03/29/2005 : 20:07:51
Scout,

I agree completely with verdammt. Also, Ibuprofen is not the best for severe muscle spasms. It is more for inflamation. Why don't you ask your local pharmacist for something more appropriate to your symptoms. Once you are feeling better, you will be in a much better frame of mind to think of emotions or incidents which lead to the attack. Take it a step at a time.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Dave Posted - 03/28/2005 : 11:38:01
Once an acute attack comes, it takes time to go away, even if you have addressed and resolved the emotional issues that caused it.

I know it's difficult but you have to try not to focus on the pain. Don't ask yourself "when is it going to end." Don't pay it any attention. Whenever you are aware of the pain, consult your list. Don't have a list? Start one!
verdammt Posted - 03/28/2005 : 11:28:29
Scout,

It takes a bit of time. Don't worry. One doctor I went to described my lingering symptoms as the aftermath of a stressful event. That word has stayed with me (favorite Stones album, too!).

You wrote: "I had all of my family in town for my daughter's birthday and Easter and I think that was the start of my problems."

You bet it was! You probably knocked yourself out trying to please everyone and make it a perfect occasion, with little or no help. I'd be writhing on the floor, too. (it's even worse when the child is from a previous marriage. I know. I've been there.)

Did you get a word of thanks for your efforts? Probably not.
So, on behalf of all the participants of this board who understand and feel your pain, a resounding: WELL DONE!!!
Scout Posted - 03/28/2005 : 10:34:50
I am still in the midst of an episode/attack and the pain is really bad. I went to work today because I figured I would be in pain wherever I was and that staying flat on my back was not going to do any good. I am confident that this is based on emotion but I still am reading and re-reading the post you have taken the time to write. They are my life-line right now. I just wish I had an idea of when this was going to be over. I had all of my family in town for my daughter's birthday and Easter and I think that was the start of my problems. However, they all left yesterday so I was hoping for some relief this morning. I woke up feeling just as tight and uncomfortable as the previous day. I am taking Ibuprofen with no effect. Your post are really helping me see a light at the end of the tunnel!
Thank you

Scout
Baseball65 Posted - 03/27/2005 : 21:12:52
Hi Scout.

Sarno says that during an acute attack one should relax,maybe take a strong analgesic if you have any,and not expect it to last too long.Try to go about as much of your regular business as you can,but you don't have to be a superhero...TMS acute attacks,regardless of their cause,are real....they just don't last long.

Remember,he says he focuses on preventing them.As far as treating them,,,,,,It'll just go away.

quote:
I felt it coming on last week and I tried to fight it. I feel like I lost the battle and now I am having a major attack

You didn't "lose" anything...it's all part of the healing process.There is probably either a part of your personality/emotional make-up that you haven't uncovered yet,OR it could be plain old conditioning.

Either way,it'll be over....I know it stinks,but it is just a waiting game.

Let us know how you're doing

peace

Baseball65
verdammt Posted - 03/27/2005 : 18:41:24
It could be "Holiday Syndrome" (see Healing Back Pain, p.20): "the onset of attacks of TMS before, during or shortly after major holidays." Very common among women (and men who take on the role of cook, head waiter and busboy, like me...)

There's no way out. Either you're under pressure to entertain (resentment, anger, anxiety, etc.) or you're feeling guilty for not entertaining.

And don't forget: Easter is a major religious event. Help yourself to an extra helping of guilt, fear, and anxiety.

Hang tough. You'll ride it out. Don't be surprised when the pain magically disappears Monday night.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000