TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hang On or Let Go!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dwinsor52 Posted - 03/26/2005 : 05:33:23
During the last week, I have been watching my Sarno video, reading the books, and posted on this site. I feel like my pain is worse the more I focus on dealing with it!!!! When I read the posts it seems like a lot of people "stand up" to their pain and tell their brains to stop. Then some people say to accept and fighting makes it worse. Both approaches seem like they work for people. What I can tell about me is that, because I had such a long period without pain, I am really, really having trouble accepting it's (hopefullly temporary) presence again. And so I am getting panicked and discouraged. When people say they can make a relapse stop almost immediately, I am thinking.."Am I going to be in pain for another 20 years before I get another distraction to get out of it, because I can't imagine really being successful at this!" So today I am discouraged. I don't know whether to "stand up to the bully" of pain and stare it down, or accept whatever my body wants to express today that my mind can't handle! I also think for me, a lot of my problem is the programming issue. I am absolutely sure I have a lot of unconscious cues that trigger the pain from memories of before. I would appreciate any advice or encouragement! The thing that feels most pathetic in this resistant learner is that my husband is a local television producer who did a show on pain which featured Sarno. In fact, Sarno wrote him a letter of gratitude!!!!
Debby
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
holly Posted - 03/26/2005 : 10:37:04
Debbie, I can assure you that you are not alone . I am in the same boat after being painfree after so many years (aside from some equivilants that popped up here and there that eventually went away) Now it has been almost 3 years with this toe problem. I posted a month or two ago that I have to leave the board for awhile because I found reading everything only seemed to make me worse. I don't read every post anymore except felt obligated to at least see what you had to say since you made a most important post to me. Please check your email and my previous responses to you BTW.
One person called what we are going thru "TMS-2" which I found most approprite. Then he relised that it wasn't TMS-2 afterall as there have been all sorts of equlivents along the way to what was considered the major setback of the moment. I relised he was on the money again. Anotherwords it is always here in one form or another. And then comes a really big one that totally absorbs us and tries to rob us of our so called enjoyment in life! I would say 75% of the people that come to this board thought they had beaten TMS along time ago (like you & me) So hang in Debbie. Last night I actually didn't feel my toe thing for a few seconds due to your post to me. Maybe there IS hope!
Baseball65 Posted - 03/26/2005 : 09:21:17
quote:
I can't imagine really being successful at this!"

read the portion in HBP on "Low self esteem"...you are not the only person who has these type of feelings.

I used to get angry reading that one story in HBP about the woman who stopped an episode by merely "having a talk with her brain"...but now,after years of episodes and episodes I can abort the majority of them by some quick hard work.

However,that is not important...what IS important is you discovering what happened or is happening in your life that has necessitated a new attack...your body doesn't hate you....something has happened to trigger the attack in your subconscious.

The work is partially ignoring the pain,but Mostly psychological...there is something going on in your life/emotional/psychological that your brain thinks is to terrifying for you to deal with.....

This requires being neither tough nor relaxed...it's just an investigation into your own life...it doesn't matter if the investigator is tough or smooth...it DOES matter that the investigation begins.

We've lost a number of forum members in the past to the "Well I keep reading the books,but I'm not getting any better"....you have to do the work implied in the text as well as read...

What is going on in your life that has necessitated this attack??

peace

Baseball65
ssjs Posted - 03/26/2005 : 06:10:33
I have had many stressful times in my life. I have learned to look at any pain like something that I know will go away eventually, sooner than later. somehow, this thought has nipped my pain in the bud.

But once or twice (in 20 plus years) it has lasted for a few days. I do my goofy dance...a wild crazy sight...to prove there is no structural problem...I wallow for a few minutes in all of the horror of my life, and the bad things and slights of the present that I am going through...I may even take an advil...Sarno has said in a lecture that I saw that if you have pain...do not make a bigger deal about it than it is, "take somethig" than go about your business!

I CONTINUE DOING WHATEVER I WOULD NORMALLY BE DOING...EVEN IF IT IS SOMETHING I MAYBE DO NOT WANT TO DO...(unless I decide that it is in my brains best interest to stop)

And most important...some people I have known, do get temporarily worse when they keep reading and thinking about all of this...almost as if your head might not be ready to resist, but takes the cue to remember the way out (the pain).

Maybe take a rest from all of this Sarno reading for awhile, and do
something fun! Do something that proves you are OK don't just read about it!

Sandy

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000