TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Muscle twitches

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carolyn Posted - 03/25/2005 : 10:32:11
I have had my TMS under control for the last 9 months or so with occassional flareups but I have been able to get them under control again and am so much improved. I am now in the midst of a new TMS flare up that began several weeks ago and has been building. I feel like I have muscle tension throughout my entire body. Along with the pain, I am getting all of these random superficial muscle twitches that I can see as well as feel. I'll get one in my arm, then my eyelid, then maybe my leg or back. This whole episode began with an uneasy feeling of restlesness or free-floating anxiety so I am confident that it is psychogenic in origin. Most of my old TMS symptoms have returned and I seem to rapidly switch between them. BAck pain, Hip pain, pelvic pain, wrist pain, anxiety, and also some new onees- neck pain and various very sharp twinges in my lower abdomen all with the twitches thrown in. I know that muscle twitches are generally thought to be benign- does anyone else experience them?

Carolyn
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fredarm57 Posted - 03/29/2005 : 10:29:20
Carolyn: Why not try "to just get on with (your) life and spend (your) evenings doing other things" like you want to do? Dr. Ron Siegel (Back Sense) says that the more you pay attention to the symptoms, the more they persist. You may be unconsciously angry about feeling like you have to journal and that may be contributing to the symptoms! Just try to regain your life and do the things that you enjoy. It may be enough. Fred
Tunza Posted - 03/29/2005 : 02:03:47
Hi Carolyn,

I first experienced these when I had been having panic attacks that I tried to hide from others. It felt like the common eye-twitch except it would jump from muscle to muscle around my body. There were muscles I didn't even know I had! And the fun of trying to guess which muscle would twitch next. Most would not have been visible but sometimes they would get near reflex nerves I guess and a limb would jump. They lasted for several months and it got a bit tiring to say the least.

After I had some hypnotherapy that reduced the panic attacks to just generalised anxiety (an improvement but still not much fun) the tics stopped being every day. Now I just get them occasionally.

A really interesing experience I had about a year ago was when I hadn't had any tics for a while and I stumbled across a website that discussed them. As I read I started twitching! I couldn't believe the obviousness of the connection between my mind and body and it was one of the things that helped me believe in the TMS theory.

My only recent bout of it was when I was talking to a psychotherapist and she asked me to let myself feel some anger about what I had been discussing. Well I started twitching quite markedly all over! It was quite distracting (ah ha!)

Kat
Steve Posted - 03/27/2005 : 17:05:03
Carolyn - I get non-painful muscle twitches as a TMS equivalent when my headaches/TMJ are not present. They can occur just about anyplace and usually just focus on one area at a time (eyelid, arm, leg)
Carolyn Posted - 03/25/2005 : 21:23:24
Thanks. Good to know I am not alone. I knew they were related though I'm not sure why my TMS needs them since it is throwing pain at me also so I was already being distracted. I am well aware that I need to go back to the journaling etc. I am just finding it frustrating that I seem to have a continual need to get back to this. It is not that I uncover much new when I journal (so I am actually finidng it rather boring) but it seems to be the process that I need. I feel like it helps unblock something and then my subconscious works on it on its own. I feel ready to just get on with my life and spend my evenings doing other things. But -I guess if all I have to do to maintain my newfound good health is to sit down for an hour 4 times a week and type, I should consider myself very lucky!

Carolyn
Baseball65 Posted - 03/25/2005 : 14:32:11
Those twitches are called muscular treppe (Treh-pee) and are the result of lactic acid build up in muscular tissue.

In his 3 CD set,Sarno says that since oxygen debt causes lactic acid build up,that the pain is caused by the failure of waste removal from the area..(he uses marathon runners as his example)..mild de-oxygenation causes treppe....major causes pain,spasm and burning..about the only thing I learned in Biological Psychology in college(my professor was so pretty ,I had a hard time concentrating)

Regardless,you could call those twitches TMS light...just something else trying to occupy your attention.I have had them in arms,eyelids,fingers and leg muscles.

They are sort of funny when you know what they are...I feel like telling them "Is that the best you can do?"

They are sort of an early warning system for TMS...probably time to review what's going on in your emotional/psychological realm.

Peace

Baseball65

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000