TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Shingles the next equivalent?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maccafan Posted - 12/28/2012 : 16:22:56
For the past few months I've been seeing an ad on tv for shingles vaccinations. The word covers the screen in big letters with large graphics of scarey looking angry nerve cells behind them. Until recently I would fast forward through this commercial and not even listen to it because it made me angry to think that some pharmaceutical company has come up with a new way to make more money. Finally I did listen one time and it was like I thought it would be. Scare tactics.

I wondered if this is going to be the next "medical thing" that the mass public will suddenly start suffering from like when ulcers were common. Another reason I didn't want to watch or listen to this commercial is I don't want this info to get stuck in my mind and give my unconscious something else to use to distract me from my repressed emotions.

And recently when I was leaving my local CVS drugstore I saw a sign in the parking lot that read "Shingles Shots given here". I had to look again because these types of signs usually read "Flu Shots given here". I was so surprised and disgusted.

I've only heard of shingles a couple of times in my whole life but I bet I hear about it a lot more often now. Will this be the next big TMS equivalent?

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
maccafan Posted - 12/31/2012 : 14:29:57
I just gave myself a big fat nocebo by posting this topic. My intention was to get this subject out and express it so as not to keep it bottled up in my head. Should've known that of course people are going to reply that they've had it or know someone who has and how horrible it was.

In The Mindbody Prescription (pages 117 and 118, Dr. Sarno wrote ... The second group of (emotionally) induced immune system reactions reflects an inadequate or idiosyncratic response to infectious agents. He goes on to include infectious agents like influenza, colds and a host of other maladies which are caused by viruses. He also wrote, "My clinical experience indicates that (emotions) can enhance, modify or reduce the efficiency of immune system function."

Is this vaccination worth the risk of side effects that are still not known because the vaccine is new? How truly effective is the vaccine? Pharmeceutical companies are well known for lying. Is a live virus or a killed virus injected? EEYOWWWW - I don't want the shingles or the vaccine!

And I don't want to waste my time worrying about getting shingles or getting the vaccination (with possible horrible side effects) because with the way things are now I could get shot going to Walmart to buy toilet paper!
eric watson Posted - 12/31/2012 : 12:00:31
happy new year to you andy and i wish you well
andy64tms Posted - 12/31/2012 : 11:58:17
Hi Eric,

There is nothing in my post that would instigate such a rude and critical response to what I have to say. Your longwinded answer shows that you are upset and perhaps hypersensitive. In no way was my post meant to be argumentative just stating the facts as I see them, I have no further counter discussions.

Once again I’ll end with Happy new year, I wish you well

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Stopped Wiki Edu Program in lieu of own journalling
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
eric watson Posted - 12/31/2012 : 11:41:29
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

To eric, you refer to shingles as "this new epidemic". I am sure you know it is not 1.new and 2. not an epidemic. Shingles has been around for as many years as I can go back in my literature dating back to the 1700s. I did research for a rheumatologist and it's in the books but I am sure it predates that. We just see more about it since the invention of the vaccine.

susan i know your right-i was referring to the next equilevent or the next disease to be in vouge
susan828 Posted - 12/31/2012 : 11:35:58
To eric, you refer to shingles as "this new epidemic". I am sure you know it is not 1.new and 2. not an epidemic. Shingles has been around for as many years as I can go back in my literature dating back to the 1700s. I did research for a rheumatologist and it's in the books but I am sure it predates that. We just see more about it since the invention of the vaccine.
eric watson Posted - 12/31/2012 : 11:24:48
[quote]Originally posted by andy64tms

Hi Eric,

Not everything is about fear. Sometimes choices are based on statistics and medical facts, as well as the history of medicine, as in the drug penicillin. It’s the best that can be offered us at any point in time.

Q)Would you apply your faith zone to a pain in the appendix region?

A)andy commen sense should go a long way in this answer,i also had to have my appendix removed,and that i did,just good commen sense-
whats to argue?
and yes id apply my faith to anything wether its an operation or not
see we dont look passed the women thats dying and say well we will just have faith and hope she heals-
no we take her to the nearest hospital and let them do what they were blessed to do.
i understand you want to point out different scenarios
-if the appendix is bad-get it removed
but if you dont think that the mind can bring on symptoms from intense stimuli,
then where are you coming from?
we know the importance of penicillian,thank god for it
the point is if were going to worry about it-then go ahead and worry
get your shingles shot andy-your 60-you worried -or let me correct that-you made a definite decision based on andys mind that you had to do this or youd wind up in a bad state so then you got the shot.
this is a site about how the mind can cause many issues and then how we counter those issues and heal-
if you want to argue that those issues dont matter in this setting
then look at the name of this forum -tms help
we need not be neglegent in our health and well being
and we need not be negligent in the power of our minds to create
or banish symptoms in our health and well being

Q) I did this for a week mistaking it was a pulled muscle, and it ended up bursting at work and emergency surgery, talk about real fear!

A)im sorry this happened to you-were told to always get medical advice

Q)Before this happened I didn’t have fear at the time,

A)how do you compare apendicitis with fear-
im talking about a thought that can create a symptom
not a symptom that is already threatening your life.
if its not there and not real-then why fear
if it is there and you ignore it....well
although weve all heard of those healed by faith and hope
i guess were not to speak of that here
the answer is and always will be up to the individual
do i want to take lesson a or b
well i take both,in wise judgement-

Q) I ignored the pain for a week. Fear, anxiety and even pains are there to protect you. I remember it was the medical industry that brought me back to life.

A)again you were supposed to go and get medical advice-you didnt
for a week -and then when you did-well you had a medical condition-
they helped you-thats good-
on the other hand -if nothing was there and you had pain ,what would you have done?

Q) Like you I have had bad experiences with the medical field, but I have also had good ones,

A)and like you andy i have had great experiences with the medical field-why you think my minds not subjective to that, ill never know.
if im shot in the foot-take me to the dr.
if im worried and scared give me wise advice that i can conquer
this gremlin with my acceptance but make sure you get a check -up

Q) I’m still here, and that’s what counts to me!

A)thats great that you made it thru the battlefield
but how do you know andy-is it because you have your faith in that shot for shingles,so in retrospect your (faith zone) is in the shingles shot
more power to ya-im glad your doing well andy
so i asume what your saying is everyone here at tms help should do like andy and go get that shingles shot so we can all have faith that the shot is the cure-right
even though people have developed herpes getting the shot and even worse....

Q)Shingles shots by the way are targeted to people over 60, so you have plenty of time to decide I don’t. That’s why I wrote “I fully expect them to be at least my age.” In my post.

A)ol sorry andy that you think im not old enough to talk about ppd/tms well i beg to difer....
andy i really dont see that you have took that vaction you keep referring to-ive took my vacation -
a nice week with my wife in the mountains
although my heart is here since ive recovered from a lifetime of psychopsomatic issues or tms
ive learnt from good books and good friends how to be a success in this area,so ill continue to drop in and give hope-if you dont see the hope im giving...well
Wilf Posted - 12/31/2012 : 10:48:56
In my opinion, it is very important to recognize that TMS DOES not cause all pain. I have had various forms of back pain for over 50 years. Most of the time I realize that it is TMS and deal with it like most of you on this forum and it goes away. However, when I contracted Shingles, the pain was totally different from anything I had ever experienced. There is inflamation of nerves deep down and there is an eruption of skin lesions. All is very painfull. I have also had a condition called Poly Myalgia Rheumatica (PMR), which causes severe pain throughout the body. It is not TMS. Prednisone brought about instant relief, and I was on that drug for 3 years. I have met a number of people who have been through the same thing. PMR has never re-occured, neither has the Shingles pain. TMS pain comes and goes regularly
andy64tms Posted - 12/31/2012 : 09:43:58
Hi Eric,

Not everything is about fear. Sometimes choices are based on statistics and medical facts, as well as the history of medicine, as in the drug penicillin. It’s the best that can be offered us at any point in time.

Would you apply your faith zone to a pain in the appendix region? I did this for a week mistaking it was a pulled muscle, and it ended up bursting at work and emergency surgery, talk about real fear!

Before this happened I didn’t have fear at the time, I ignored the pain for a week. Fear, anxiety and even pains are there to protect you. I remember it was the medical industry that brought me back to life.

Like you I have had bad experiences with the medical field, but I have also had good ones, I’m still here, and that’s what counts to me!

Shingles shots by the way are targeted to people over 60, so you have plenty of time to decide I don’t. That’s why I wrote “I fully expect them to be at least my age.” In my post.

Got to go, see you in January, happy new year

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
eric watson Posted - 12/31/2012 : 06:48:14
wilf i get your point-youve been there-
a long hard rd-recovery most definatly seemed like
impossible-but you made it,and thats great,great to know
your still here with us to update us on the realitys of shingles
now,see ive had chicken pox-my mom took me to the hospital when i was a child for it-at the time i wasnt aware of how serious this
could be-i just went with the flow as i remeber and got better
now im 40-im going to keep the attitude i learned about the power of fear and im not going to fear,
i feel if i was to get a shot for this (en vouge) threat-then i would
be walking right into a pattern of fear-i will not ponder if or when am i gonna get shingles-i just know im not -and thats the power we learn about here-
if i can learn the tms healing and living therapy to set me free from all my ailments including my fears-
then i would be backing myself against a wall as ive done in the past to let that fear of shingles develope in my mind-
just cause a commercial comes on tv and says well you better go get this vaccination or else-
it doesnt mean i have to accept that fear thought in my mind and eventually my body
see im not saying you were thinking of it when it happened to you
but im saying just cause it happened to you doesnt mean its going to happen to me if i keep my mind and thus healing perception in the faith zone
see ive discovered that i can actually heal by the thoughts i have-and i can get sick by the thought i have-
so in response to your warning-
to each there own-
i choose not to ponder those thoughts
i didnt ponder the end of the world
i havent pondered death
i choose to focus on life
thats the cure-
Wilf Posted - 12/31/2012 : 01:03:56
I have had Shingles. It is not TMS. It is one of the most painful, horrendous of afflictions. When my friend saw what I went through (for 6 weeks), she immediately went and got the shot. I recommend that anyone who has had Chicken Pox get the shot. Believe me, you do not want to experience Shingles.
tennis tom Posted - 12/30/2012 : 21:46:32
It's no surprise that Safeway supermarkets and other retailers like Walgreens, have remodeled their stores giving space next to their pharmacies for inoculations.
eric watson Posted - 12/30/2012 : 10:09:38
Quote maccafan)- I'd rather feel the repressed emotions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amen-wise decision-
susan828 Posted - 12/29/2012 : 12:49:18
Wow, maccafan, I didn't know about the side effects of the HPV vaccine. I worked in he GYN field for 20 years and saw a lot of HPV but given the amount that turns into cancer, may not be worth the vaccine. I will definitely do some research now.

I am on the fence about the shingles vaccine. My friends who had it are urging me so as not to go through what they went through. Not to give medical advice here but I think people should know, if you do get shingles, if you see what looks like the initial rash/breakout, it's important to get the injection (acyclovir) or pills within 72 hours. Helps prevent the post herpetic neuralgia which can linger for a very long time. Same drug they give for oral/genital herpes but sometimes a larger dose.

I'm just not keen on inoculations but it's an individual decision so I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from getting the shingles vaccine.
maccafan Posted - 12/29/2012 : 12:29:27
Hi Andy,

You're right, we each have to make judgement calls at times and I can sure see why you made yours.

The HPV (human papilloma virus) vaccination is another judgement call for parents of young daughters (and sons) and young women (and men) to make. Since 2009, 42 deaths have occurred due to this vaccination and hundreds of reports of serious side effects including MS like symptoms, neurological complications, paralysis, speech problems and the list goes on. The vaccine only covers 4 of the more than 100 types of HPV and 95% of women natually clear it from their bodies without a vaccination. MERCK is being sued quite a bit for this one.

This is the type of thing I was thinking about when the shingles ads started showing up. What harm is this new vaccine going to cause? It hasn't been out long enough for as many field reports to start coming in. Since I won't do research on shingles because I don't want the paranoia I wonder how many humans actually get this condition versus how many don't?

Like you and Susan said the vaccine is only 50 to 70% effective and less as you age. I've always heard that it mainly occurs when someone is under great stress and/or is a certain personality type. I don't see shingles mentioned in any of my three Dr. Sarno books. I wonder if this is because he considered it so rare and just never saw it manifest as TMS. Because of all the publicity is this going to change and it will be the next in vogue thing to come down with?

Anyway I don't want the vaccination for myself and I also don't want my unconscious mind to even think about trying this as a distraction tactic. I feel a lot of conscious rage towards my unconscious mind for already causing me such misery and loss of time from my life. I'd rather feel the repressed emotions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate your viewpoint and here's to a GOOD New Year for us all.

Maccafan
andy64tms Posted - 12/28/2012 : 23:11:07
Yes, all that you say I have read before. I meant chicken pox. thanks for correcting. Good luck with your decision. There is loads of conflicting information out there, so be discerning.

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
susan828 Posted - 12/28/2012 : 21:34:33
Andy, I would like to clear up some misinformation in your post. There is no connection between shingles and measles. You were referring to chicken pox. If you have shingles and come in contact with someone who has not had chicken pox, they can catch chicken pox from you.

Just to add...the vaccine cuts the chance of shingles by about 70% so there's no guarantee. However, if you do get shingles, the chance of developing post-herpetic neuralgia (the ongoing pain afterwards) is decreased.

My doctor wanted me to get it when I turned 60. So far, I haven't but after seeing what some of my friends went through, I may consider it. People don't need a shingles vaccine if they never had chicken pox as a child. It's the reactivation of that. You can't "catch" shingles from someone.

I won't comment on the TMS equivalent part but shingles, like herpes simplex, cold sores, often hits people when they are stressed and immunity is down.
andy64tms Posted - 12/28/2012 : 20:37:25
After a lot of research and talking to my doctor I chose to have it last month. I am 65 and I had measles in 1952, but since I have not had shingles yet I am a good candidate. Not all drugs are bad and not everything is TMS, as in penicillin.

From what I have read up and discussed with my doctor there are benefits, but there are some downsides.

1.Possible prevention from rash, fever, stomach ache, headaches, similar to measles.

2.Possible prevention of secondary pain caused from the nerve endings that can make life miserable for months and sometimes years. I believe a Dr. on this board said there was little that can be done for this pain. In particular this drug supposedly helps people over 70 from this nerve pain.

3.I have five grand children, if I were to get shingles there would be a chance that I would be able to give measles to them, or anyone else for that matter, that other person could be YOU.

4.A benefit for me was to have it now, get it over with and not to have to squabble with Medicare next year as I purchase my Rx plan. My Insurance HMO paid for it fully. This speeded my decision.

I knew a lady who had this problem for years in the 80’s, she lost many weeks of work, I grant she was a tense stressful-hyper person and that her immune and repair systems were run down, and think looking back it could be partly stress related. This was my first encounter, she told a horrible tale, and looked awful.My mother in law also had shingles, and the pain that goes with it.Rightly or wrongly my wife also chose to have this shot under the advice of yet another Dr. several years ago.

Like any drug, there are downsides to what it is supposed to do. It only cuts the risk by ½. As you progress past 60 it becomes less effective each year. There are no guarantees as with any vaccine.

The drug has a logistic issue regarding storage, and that adds to the expense, and despite the advertisements on TV not one of Merck’s best sellers yet.

Most of the information above I gathered from different sources, but the main reason I chose to have it was seeing that lady in pain. That was more scary than even the ads on TV since I only saw her when she could come to work.

Believe it or not I dislike taking drugs of any kind but each of us has to make a judgment call. I hope this post does not anger people, it is meant to offer some alternate viewpoints. I’m sure others on this board can and will offer their opposing opinions. I fully expect them to be at least my age.

But in the meantime have a happy new year

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
eric watson Posted - 12/28/2012 : 18:44:07
maybe-but since we know here what to avoid- we can try to help others the best we can-the hardest part is getting people to understand like you do that we dont have to live in fear-
theres hope and understanding in tms healing and prevention of symptoms-we accomplish our outcomes by our perceptions

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000