TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Leg numbness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
susan828 Posted - 12/26/2012 : 21:10:35
About 4 months ago, I bent down in the kitchen to get something and the twisting motion hurt my right knee. The pain continued so I went to an orthopedist who sent me for an MRI and did x rays. Nothing showed on either so he sent me to PT. I held off because the pain started to improve.

During the hurricane, I went up and down 20 flights of stairs about 10 times on the last day. The next day my knee was killing me. That was 2 months ago, so I decided to go to PT last month and had 2 weeks, could not afford more so continued the exercises at home. I ice many times a day, took Aleve, messed my stomach up, wound up having an endoscopy because my stomach felt like a knife was in it. It showed some irritation but that has gotten better with a mild diet.

Two therapists and an orthopedic dr (a friend of mine) diagnosed the knee as having bursitis. On top of this, 10 days ago I was in the shower and when I washed my left hip, the other side, not the side of the hurting knee...it felt numb. The numbness has now gone down the front of my thigh and my lower shin. When I shave my leg, it doesn't feel like my skin. I have no weakness or mobility problems.

I have not seen a doctor about this but over the phone he said it's sciatica. I have had back pain that ran down the same leg, but there IS no pain now, just numbness. If I take a cuticle scissor, the test that neurologists do, I feel pain so it's not totally numb but very weird and scary. I will be examined in a few days.

I read all of the books including Steve's, about pinched nerves (or lack of) but am just puzzled. Something is causing this. It feels like when you come home from the dentist after novocaine and touch your face and it's scaring me. I have been limping for 2 months and compensating with the left leg, the side that is numb so maybe I just threw something off. I would think with all the stretching exercises I am doing, the nerve would not get pinched because these are similar to the exercises given for sciatica....so it would seem to help, not bring this on. I am stymied. Any feedback would be appreciated.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Back2-It Posted - 12/29/2012 : 22:04:22
pspa123

quote:
I had a conversation about this with a TMS doctor once (who was willing to diagnose me over the phone, by the way), and his general yardstick seemed to be that anything that didn't heal within a couple of weeks was probably TMS.

This draws my focus in that some TMS doctors -- mindbody doctors-- seem to have taken the opposite polarity than the allopathic doctors, in a way, where everything has a pathogen or structural cause.

The TMS doc you contacted may have been correct, but without laying hands on the patient and then explaining what the strange bodily sensations can do or feel like to a person (that are unexpected or unknown by the patient), will degrade the diagnosis.

When the patient accepts the TMS/anxiety dx, and then begins to try to resume normal activity, and feels "X",which seems unrelated to "where the pain is", then the fear starts again.

If a mindbody doctor is going to say your problem is psychogenic, there has to be an explanation of what physical symptoms may arise, or what you can possibly expect.

Just giving absolution to go and live some more will not work for some people, and I believe that is why it takes some people longer to effect a cure, because they do not have the complete"knowledge" that can produce the cure. Okay, says the doc, your mind has done this to you do to stress, repression, anger -- created muscle tension, for example-- but never explains the anatomical effects of it all. Why?

Not knowing scares people.

Mind and body have to be dealt with wholly, if you will. Not just one and not just the the other.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"
andy64tms Posted - 12/29/2012 : 16:47:56
Hi Susan,

when I had bursitis on my knee the swelling went down within a week or so, however when I did the same thing to my elbow it lasted a month, and disappeared very slowly. My Dr. refused to drain it when I asked, probably the best decision. I was quite embarrassed and had to wear long sleeve shirts to keep it hidden at work. What happened I had a chipped off piece of bone off my elbow and it is still floating around, I had knocked it somehow.

No wonder you are in pain you have too much going on in your life, I hope you can soon reduce your pain level to a point where you can apply what Dave says, I know It’s hard to take in advice when your focus and worry is on your physical. Good luck at the doctor, I hope he calms you down, as maccafan ended saying, don’t forget to come back and re-read these replies after you see him.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Stopped Wiki Edu Program in lieu of own journalling
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
maccafan Posted - 12/29/2012 : 16:25:39
Hi Susan,

The saying goes "if you remember being at Woodstock then you weren't really there." Get it, ha ha. That's what I meant. But if you were really there I'm envious.

I hope you take all these replies to your post as seriously as the doctors you are going to see. I think you will or will come back to them latter because the real answers are here. I'm a believer.

susan828 Posted - 12/29/2012 : 16:02:32
Maccafan, what a nice post. Yup to everything you said. It has been one thing after another and now I lost a client that basically paid my rent. My job involves a lot of walking and I couldn't get to her house (too far) because the pain is excruciating. I am just working local jobs so I am having money problems.

You can't remember if you were at Woodstock? LOL. I know you're joking but it's at the point where I feel like putting a note on the inside of my front door (keys? cell phone?) but I would be embarrassed for anyone to see it. Happened even in my 30s, usually when I have too much on my mind.

Anyway, I am waiting to see my dr. this weekend, just want to know what's causing the numbness and maybe he can tell by the nerve pathway. I want reassurance on that and as far as the knee pain, I don't know what to say. Two physical therapists and two separate drs said it's pes anserine bursitis so I'm treating it as such. My primary doc who is always real with me said it's a stubborn one, the sac just has to go down and everything I read said it's "self-limiting". Just wish I knew how long, I want to go back to work. Thanks much for the thoughtful reply.
maccafan Posted - 12/29/2012 : 15:43:32
Susan,

Good grief, you have been going through a very stressful time. I've been through many huricanes in my part of the country so I can empathize with you. You've been very responsible by helping your neighbors and taking care of your mother. You're dealing with so many more worries these days, your job, getting the bills paid, not getting to be with your mother as much and all the what if's about the future. No wonder you're going through some TMS pain symptoms!!! The child part of your unconscious mind is screaming..."I don't want to do all this. I want somebody to take of me. Whose taking care of meeeeeee. I just want to have some fun and not feel afraid." No kidding, who is taking care of you. You need some hugs and reassurance. I bet all this is causing some repressed rage for sure. It would me.

For years on and off I've experienced that numb feeling in the leg you're talking about. It starts on the top of my right leg and hip and then goes over to the right groin and then down my leg. It's that feeling of novocaine you talked about. I always thought it was due to my panty hose (when they were more in fashion) cutting off the circulation and I would keep adjusting them. When it happens at night I can't sleep on that side. It still occurs sometimes (not near as often) even since I stopped my back pain in 2002. I really don't have a disc between L4 and L5. I ignore this feeling and it stops a lot sooner now. And I remember exactly when my acute back pain started. I was just bending over shaving my leg and I heard and felt a pop (just like described in Dr. Sarno's book). I use to have knee pain so bad that I couldn't sit in the back seat of a car, my legs always had to stretched out and the discriptions could go on and on.

You're going to be ok. You're getting such good answers and help here in this thread. Everybody is doing such a good job explaining all this. Eric, get on with your bad self... you're on fire today! Good job.

Susan, I'm your age and I feel like you do about Woodstock. But I'm still trying to remember if I was really there or not.

Maccafan

andy64tms Posted - 12/29/2012 : 13:41:23
Hi Susan828 and pspa123,

It is clearly the nature of TMS to keep us away from dealing with the real cause of our pain, psychological and emotional events. But it is equally important to eliminate those pain questions and concerns first, and any time they arise. It’s our personal responsibility to evaluate and seek medical advice if needed, only we can make that decision.

I believe each of us has to go through our own sort of renaissance with the question of real vs.TMS pain to get to Dave’s “mindset”; it was his posts that made me realize I had to. Thanks Dave.

The immediate reaction to pain even though you don’t quite believe and understand could be: “Is it TMS, could it be real? Have I banged my knee? Oh yes I walked into a post yesterday. So it’s real, yes, but I’ll apply TMS thoughts to it and not worry, the body can heal itself and in the past this sort of trauma healed very well. Pspa123 I have done this sort of thinking all through the summer, sort of pretending-acting.

An example this summer I actually tore and damaged my MCL, even though the pain was from a real knock I treated it as TMS. Once I knew what the pain was I reduced its credibility like a lawyer would when questioning a defendant. (Pspa123 Thought you would like this analogy). My main fear at the time was have I got to go to hospital and loose time windsurfing. Here is what I posted to Mala.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7760

Susan, I have had “housemaids knee” when laying Pergo flooring. I pinched the sack and my knee was the size of a football. I did this before I knew about TMS, but considered it a real injury at the time. My lack of knowledge forced me to go to the doctor; he played it down and said it would take care of itself in two weeks or so. When you think of it he gave a very good TMS diagnoses, because he played it down and stopped my fears.

As for my sciatica, pinched nerves, bulging discs and possible surgery in 2000, Susan, I am pain free, and very happy to be able to windsurf, I know there is hope for you.

PSPA123 I used to think just like you and Susan analyzing each pain asking is it real or TMS, I do this very differently now and very rarely, I am casual, calm as I look for that obscure event that peed me off, I laugh at it with the knowledge that TMS is playing a good game, but I am going to win in the long run.

Happy New Year, Let’s get well

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Stopped Wiki Edu Program in lieu of own journalling
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years, is almost gone.
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Dave Posted - 12/29/2012 : 13:23:01
quote:
Originally posted by susan828

Dave, I understand what you're saying but when someone has numbness, it could be serious.

Absolutely. That is why it is imperative to see medical doctors and rule out any serious structural problems or diseases before treating the symptoms as TMS.
quote:
I accept the TMS theory but I also believe that some pains are physically caused.

Of course. But this is a slippery slope. If you strain a muscle doing some unorthodox activity, the pain has a physical cause. The injury will heal completely and then the pain will be gone. If there is residual pain months or years later it is likely TMS attacking that spot. On the other hand, if you believe "sciatica" has a vague physical cause, such as bending over or walking lopsided or sleeping wrong, then you are likely falling into the TMS trap.
quote:
I am in really bad pain today, even when trying to get comfortable to sleep and I want a solution.

Part of recovering from TMS is to accept the symptoms as benign. There is no immediate "solution" to the pain. It will come and go and it simply must be ignored. You must trust that over time, the symptoms will fade on their own, if you follow the TMS treatment method.
quote:
The TMS mindset has worked for other things...

TMS is a clever process and will continually seek out new symptoms that will serve the intended purpose when the old ones are no longer bothering you. Once the mind hits a symptom that you truly believe has a physical or structural cause, it will continue to give you that symptom until you accept that it is benign.
quote:
...but after seeing half of my neighbors limping since the hurricane, it is hard for me to think we all have TMS.

Yes, we do. TMS is part of being human. It is a normal process of the unconscious mind to manufacture physical symptoms in response to psychological causes. Some people are more prone to it than others based on their personality type, but I would think it is accurate to say that everyone gets some psychogenic symptoms in their lifetime.
quote:
Most of them are getting cortisone shots...

The standard medical practice when they cannot find anything wrong. It is the first step to unnecessary surgery. The cortisone will work, partly due to its analgesic properties, partly due to placebo. But the pain will always return.

I am not suggesting that everything is TMS. I am suggesting that you need a different mindset if you want relief. You must take a long-term view and not look for a "solution." The only solution is to recondition yourself to think about and react differently to the symptoms. This is a process that takes acceptance, dedication, and time. It is undermined if you continue to believe the symptoms may have a physcial cause. You cannot take a selective approach and treat some symptoms as TMS and others as "real." If medical doctors have ruled out serious causes such as tumors or disease, consider it a green light to treat those symptoms as TMS, and truly commit to the mindset.
pspa123 Posted - 12/29/2012 : 10:53:33
This dialogue is very informative. Dave's post makes all the sense in the world, IF the pain is in fact TMS, then the physical mindset and treatments are counterproductive. But Susan's posts highlight a eustion I still have, particularly where pain seems related to a specific event or activity and is not simply the paradigm chronic muscle-tension type pain, how is one supposed to know? I had a conversation about this with a TMS doctor once (who was willing to diagnose me over the phone, by the way), and his general yardstick seemed to be that anything that didn't heal within a couple of weeks was probably TMS. The analytical problem I have with that is that there is an unstated assumption that the body can always heal itself without intervention -- I am not sure that's true, particularly as we age. There also seems to be an argument in TMS theory that our ancestors didn't suffer from repetitive stress injuries, etc., therefore if we do it must be psychological because our bodies are not that delicate. How do we know they didn't, though?

susan828 Posted - 12/28/2012 : 21:49:18
Dave, I understand what you're saying but when someone has numbness, it could be serious. There are things that require immediate hospitalization and surgery. I don't have the symptoms of these conditions now. I am going to be examined tomorrow just to rule out anything serious.

I have a long history of psychogenic pain, since childhood and attribute much of it to TMS. Reading Sarno's books was the most reassuring thing to me, that finally, someone understood and was able to explain my way of life. I wish I could go back to the child in the diary which I kept from age 9 and squelch her fears.

I accept the TMS theory but I also believe that some pains are physically caused. I don't think the body was designed perfectly, as amazing as it is, things happen. I am in really bad pain today, even when trying to get comfortable to sleep and I want a solution. The TMS mindset has worked for other things but after seeing half of my neighbors limping since the hurricane, it is hard for me to think we all have TMS. Most of them are getting cortisone shots but that's not for me. I'll see what this week brings.
Dave Posted - 12/28/2012 : 08:53:40
Your messages are entirely focused in the physical realm. If you truly believe TMS applies to you, or even if you do not fully believe but want to give it a fair chance, then you need to change your mindset.

Even now you are choosing to visit a doctor who specializes in "muscles, back, bones." What do you expect from this visit? Most certainly he will reinforce the mindset that there is a structural problem to be dealt with.

You are compelled to explain your pain as due to physical acts: "bent down in the kitchen ... twisting motion" ... "went up and down 20 flights of stairs" ... "compensating with the left leg ... threw something off."

You are compelled to seek physical treatments for your pain: "decided to go to PT" ... "stretching exercises".

You are compelled to accept structural diagnoses: "bursitis", "sciatica" (diagnosed OVER THE PHONE!).

All of this is entirely contradictory to treating your symptoms as TMS. You simply cannot embark on the road to recovery if you still have such a strong bias towards the physical/structural realm.

TMS treatment requires full commitment. It seems you are not ready for that leap just yet. I suggest you forget about TMS and take the physical path and rule out serious medical issues. Go down this path until you reach a point where you are truly ready to accept that there is nothing structurally wrong and your symptoms are manufactured by your brain for psychological reasons. Then, make the full commitment necessary to recover.

You can't just dip your toe in the water and expect relief. If this is TMS, then as long as you are convinced there is something physically wrong, your brain will continue to manufacture the symptoms, since they are serving the intended purpose. TMS recovery begins only once you are ready to dismiss the structural diagnoses and cease all physical treatments.
susan828 Posted - 12/27/2012 : 21:50:11
Tom, what am I missing? Or...is the implication that this has nothing to do with my muscles? It's midnight so I am not too sharp at the moment
tennis tom Posted - 12/27/2012 : 20:46:34
quote:

...I will be seen by a doctor/friend at no charge in a few days who specializes in muscles, backs, bones, I'll see what he says.

Don't ask a barber if you need a haircut.

susan828 Posted - 12/27/2012 : 15:00:44
Tom, it's more complicated...it will be a different insurance and I have to wait for it. I don't want to owe any money. I have been meaning to see someone about other TMS issues so I may as well wait a few more weeks. I will be seen by a doctor/friend at no charge in a few days who specializes in muscles, backs, bones, I'll see what he says. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd almost rather have pain than numbness because my mind starts going to degenerative diseases, googling, panicking, scaring myself to death. However, the logical part of me says that I am doing new exercises that I'm not used to and limping for 2 months so something went awry that caused the numbness.
tennis tom Posted - 12/27/2012 : 14:52:06
quote:

Thanks so much for the replies. Tom, I won't have insurance in January (I will in February, long story). So seeing a dr. now is not good, I can't afford it. I know there is a TMS here and I may see him then.

Maybe call the doc and explain about your insurance, doctors are used to deferring payment--why suffer if there's a chance you may not have to--it doesn't hurt to try--or maybe it does? TMS healing is about BELIEF, you are on the fence. All your symptoms have TMS equivalents in the books. If you don't believe the theory by now, you will need to do some deep soul searching or get the big placebo from a TMS doc. TMS healing comes from within. If you can climb 20 flights of stairs numerous times, it doesn't sound like there is anything structurally wrong.

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
eric watson Posted - 12/27/2012 : 11:58:53
[quote]Originally posted by susan828

Thanks so much for the replies. Tom, I won't have insurance in January (I will in February, long story). So seeing a dr. now is not good, I can't afford it. I know there is a TMS here and I may see him then.

Q) ...Eric, I do remember what happened when I hurt my knee but I have had trouble with knees before when I wash the tub...cannot kneel.

A) ...this is correct,see when you hurt before it was other stressors setting off triggers causing symptoms

Q)... I don't think this is necessarily TMS, "housemaid's knee" or bursitis can be just that, an irritation that causes a bursa to fill up with fluid. I don't discount the TMS theory though.

A) ...what you believe to be true,...is

Q)... In September, I was getting a pretty tissue box out of the broom closet and kneeling and twisting and the knee hurt right after that. I was getting it to make my house look prettier because my brother would be staying with me for a few days.

A)...family=tms...not if we dont allow it but how many of us know if our sub-consciouse is storing it or not unless we face it and put the tms healing and living theory to the test.....

Q)... Here is the part that could make your theory (and Steve's and Sarno)...my Mom was going into the hospital, that's why my brother came into my town, to help out. I was very scared that she wouldn't survive. She was fine though and I was relieved...until Hurricane Sandy a month later.

A)quote-(i was very scared )-

-a natural emotion,but did you store it...
in other words are you still worrying about it when your not trying to think about it....this can be normal at first we know but its how we store it as a perception in our mind -can we change the way we see our angers and hurts.anxietys-most assuringly....
will they still be there -yes-we will just perceive differently-remeber its how we react not act emotionally,sad sometimes we dont even know were doing it.....

Q) ...Steve mentions something like the calm after the storm. I had a horrific week with my Mom, stuck, stranded, very elderly, for 5 days no food, water, darkness. Her house was evacuated and she went with my brother and I went home. The next morning in my own building, I volunteered to help people, bags of water and food, all day up and down the stairs, 20 flights with a flashlight. The knee had gotten better so I felt no pain. The next day the knee was hurting. My neighbors said the same thing though, so I do believe that sometimes a pain is just a pain, from overuse. A lot of people have problems with stairs, with their knees.

A)this is the storm....the first half
when you talked about your experience.....that wasnt a great sounding memory....so we try and change our perception or triggers and we face any surpression if it takes time it does but with great pressure comes a great representation-we have to look at those representations and see them for what they really are and then if negative-change them to a new presitation or perception...
see that was terriblr,but if you say well im still here-i made it-were all fine then you can step into that state and feel better or use affirmations #8 ace1 keys to healing
i kmow we heal in different ways but true tms healing is getting all the doubts hurts angers and anxietys to surface so we can see what they really are -then we have to stop any fear,with strong acceptance of the diagnosis of tms....etc...

Q)(quote)- A lot of people have problems with stairs, with their knees ....

A)...your right-we are organic ...remember its how we believe.... when we first start to heal or learn about tms healing youll think this pain hasnt left in 10 yrs and the truth of the matter is it will when you practice the tms healing theory
when you say (quote)- A lot of people have problems with stairs, with their knees....this is a deception we represent

the answer is i know we do get sore -but remember were talking about a bad sore at first and with acceptance of the thoery the bad sore will start to leave -not a sore that wont leave and in place you will heal then if you get sore it will be a good sore

Q) ...I have been separated from my Mom since the hurricane and not happy. She cannot come back to her home and live alone...so this is a source of stress for me, separation...I saw myself in the first chapter of Steve's book.

I have also lost income because I work outdoors and have not been able to do certain jobs that are not in my neighborhood. So this is scaring me too..will this pain ever go away, how will I meet my bills. Luckily, my insurance will no longer have to come out of my pocket in a month, since I have arrived at Medicare (another mind blower and stress...it doesn't sink in, I still think I am at Woodstock).

A) ...you saw yourself in steves book....

susan828 Posted - 12/27/2012 : 11:06:13

Eric, I do remember what happened when I hurt my knee but I have had trouble with knees before when I wash the tub...cannot kneel. I don't think this is necessarily TMS, "housemaid's knee" or bursitis can be just that, an irritation that causes a bursa to fill up with fluid. I don't discount the TMS theory though. In September, I was getting a pretty tissue box out of the broom closet and kneeling and twisting and the knee hurt right after that. I was getting it to make my house look prettier because my brother would be staying with me for a few days. Here is the part that could make your theory (and Steve's and Sarno)...my Mom was going into the hospital, that's why my brother came into my town, to help out. I was very scared that she wouldn't survive. She was fine though and I was relieved...until Hurricane Sandy a month later.

Steve mentions something like the calm after the storm. I had a horrific week with my Mom, stuck, stranded, very elderly, for 5 days no food, water, darkness. Her house was evacuated and she went with my brother and I went home. The next morning in my own building, I volunteered to help people, bags of water and food, all day up and down the stairs, 20 flights with a flashlight. The knee had gotten better so I felt no pain. The next day the knee was hurting. My neighbors said the same thing though, so I do believe that sometimes a pain is just a pain, from overuse. A lot of people have problems with stairs, with their knees.

I have been separated from my Mom since the hurricane and not happy. She cannot come back to her home and live alone...so this is a source of stress for me, separation...I saw myself in the first chapter of Steve's book.

I have also lost income because I work outdoors and have not been able to do certain jobs that are not in my neighborhood. So this is scaring me too..will this pain ever go away, how will I meet my bills. Luckily, my insurance will no longer have to come out of my pocket in a month, since I have arrived at Medicare (another mind blower and stress...it doesn't sink in, I still think I am at Woodstock).

I hope by telling you the whole story it paints a better picture. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
eric watson Posted - 12/27/2012 : 07:08:35
Q)....About 4 months ago, I bent down in the kitchen to get something and the twisting motion hurt my right knee. The pain continued so I went to an orthopedist who sent me for an MRI and did x rays. Nothing showed on either so he sent me to PT. I held off because the pain started to improve.

A).... see (about 4 months ago)-you remeber well when it happened-thats key-fear is a powerful componenet-what thought stresses were you having that day-or were you thinking about something from the past that could have sent a tms message to your (knee)-you very well might not be able to get the exact thought from that day but you can know how to reverse the hurt -thru steveos book we have many strategies-and tt isnt a rookie here -hes seen a few tms cases and if he said he thinks so-then we listen- and ron is right on- see we think its a problem when it happens suddenly-like a bend-but this is the deception in tms (the great pain deception)-so we have to put away this thought of the twist and bend then pain-its a deception to another emotion-look at this moment to clarify the emotional issue-plus read the 12 daily reminders from tennis toms list

and rons intake on this is exceptional.............

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q)...During the hurricane, I went up and down 20 flights of stairs about 10 times on the last day. The next day my knee was killing me. That was 2 months ago, so I decided to go to PT last month and had 2 weeks, could not afford more so continued the exercises at home. I ice many times a day, took Aleve, messed my stomach up, wound up having an endoscopy because my stomach felt like a knife was in it. It showed some irritation but that has gotten better with a mild diet-

A)....(During the hurricane)....the source that made you aware of the hurricane could very well be the source that set in motion these tms occurances-you might have to do some jounaling about this event or go back in thought and face what you might be surpressing-it might be repressed so hence the journal......but still we can go back in our memorie profile and see a lot of thoughts that we brushed
aside because of fear.....the diet seems to be helping-now apply tms healing and living knowledge and you should be set and remember ace1s keys to healing thread here and tennis toms thread about steves gems....powerful stuff

Q)....Two therapists and an orthopedic dr (a friend of mine) diagnosed the knee as having bursitis. On top of this, 10 days ago I was in the shower and when I washed my left hip, the other side, not the side of the hurting knee...it felt numb. The numbness has now gone down the front of my thigh and my lower shin. When I shave my leg, it doesn't feel like my skin. I have no weakness or mobility problems.

A)....again these are all tms symtoms .....its all a part of the autonomic nervous system

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q).....I have not seen a doctor about this but over the phone he said it's sciatica. I have had back pain that ran down the same leg, but there IS no pain now, just numbness. If I take a cuticle scissor, the test that neurologists do, I feel pain so it's not totally numb but very weird and scary. I will be examined in a few days.

A)....the examination is great but remember these r all tms symptoms .....you have many options....the great pain deception ,sarnos healing back pain...

its always a matter of acceptance of the diagnosis-im not an md but i have had bursitis and numbness in my leg and it did occur while bending

and i did focus on it and it did grow....the symtom imperitive....it jumps around ,changes areas ,promotes fear based thoughts...etc

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q)....I read all of the books including Steve's, about pinched nerves (or lack of) but am just puzzled. Something is causing this. It feels like when you come home from the dentist after novocaine and touch your face and it's scaring me. I have been limping for 2 months and compensating with the left leg, the side that is numb so maybe I just threw something off. I would think with all the stretching exercises I am doing, the nerve would not get pinched because these are similar to the exercises given for sciatica....so it would seem to help, not bring this on. I am stymied. Any feedback would be appreciated.

A).....again the question you said is -(something is causing this) your on to it-its jumping -thats part of the mechanism of tms-were still wondering the whys to this tms deception,but we know thats what it does....and we know how to cure it in time (-relax-) you said you have read steve ozanichs book

did you apply all the steps to this set of symptoms you have now?
ron213 Posted - 12/27/2012 : 00:57:41
Hi,

the way i see it, from your descriptions it is clear (and understandable btw) that right now you live in fear of pain, and pain control your life. i know this feeling very well. we all know(here) what its like having a pain, going to see the doctor, only to find out that all is well, and be provided with no solution.

do realize that this beings a vicious cycle, of you thinking about the pain and its consequences - like im compensating with the other leg,
the other leg gets stronger, the muscles around it get bigger - so does other muscles near it, this is while my hurting leg gets weaker,
over time i will be completely distorted, i wouldnt be able to walk straight, i will look like a freek, maybe il find a gag at the circus. so surely all this pain that im having is understandable.

i am to very familiar with this line of thinking. (or maby i took it to far, and im talking about me in your thread).im preety sure that you have other lines of thinking just like this one, all does not end well.

these kind of thoughts will amplify your pain, and create other sources of pain as well.

another thing that caught my eye was the description, where you say it feels weird, but had no weakness etc. i know that feeling to.

your original injury may have triggered all other symptoms via tms mechanizem, to me this is sounds likely. if you say that you were checked and covered all angles by doctors, then it is even more likely
that these are TMS symptoms.

i hope you feel well!
tennis tom Posted - 12/26/2012 : 23:07:46
It sounds from your description, that it may be TMS, but I'm just guessing. Do you have a TMS doctor near you that you can see for an unbiased dx?

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000