TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 is it the work itself or the discovery

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deer Posted - 03/09/2005 : 15:01:44
I have been doing in therapy for a few months,and I have come into a brick wall.I have come to realize some things that might be contributing to my feelings of inferioty,but it seems like I cannot explore any farther.The last few sessions in therapy I have just said the same things over and over to my therapist.I am beginning to consider hypnotherapy or EMDR to break through the wall of my unconcious to give me some ideas of what is bothering me deep down inside.

My question is as follows:(For those of us that need therapy);is it the actual work of searching that sends the message to the unconcious or is it the discovery and realization of hidden emotions that does the job?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Laura Posted - 03/11/2005 : 13:32:09
Deer,

I agree with TT that you should try to find someone in your area to speak to. Dr. Sarno could probably give you a whole big list of candidates.

I saw Dr. Dubin a couple of times and he's a really sweet man. He does believe in TMS and he himself has had TMS, which is a bonus. The only thing I didn't like was that the last time I saw him he didn't seem too focused on me. He had another client finishing up when I arrived (I was a few minutes late looking for a parking spot and apparently he was running late as well). He took a phone call that came from his wife (something I really think is unprofessional for a therapist to do) and seemed very concerned while talking to her about his missing day planner. He tends to look at the clock quite a bit and for my session, he cut it short by about 15 minutes. He said "I really need to get home and look for my day planner." I had a lot more to talk about but felt rushed and cheated because he had other things to do. I'm not saying he's not a good doctor; the first two times I saw him I thought were pretty good. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of other qualified people out there, some better than others, and maybe you'll find someone you click with right in your own backyard! Good luck!

Laura
tennis tom Posted - 03/11/2005 : 07:37:04
Dear Deer,

Don Dubin's number can be found on the links at the home page or at the TarpitYoga web site under TMS. It's very easy, you just call him, make an appointment and talk, I did it yesterday, no initial consultation. He's a very kind warm person who believes in TMS. What I don't understand is if you saw Sarno, why you don't talk with one of his psychotherapists since you are on the East Coast and the long distance charges would be cheaper--but it's your family's dime.

I'm glad to hear some of your symptoms have improved and that you are off the meds, that's probably one of the best things that you've done.

You have not answered some of the questions I posed you related to YOUR LIFE. Are you avoiding them? I feel that's what the TMS work is about, no magic bullets.
deer Posted - 03/10/2005 : 15:33:01
Tom,
Actually, my psychiatrist took me off of the anti psychotics a long time ago.I was only on Zyprexa for a few months following my episode .In addition,I have been off of the Ambien as well for over a month.So I am off all meds.

When you asked me was if my psychotherapist is well versed in TMS , I replied by saying that he is not,however he agrees with the theory.

As far as the germ phobia/OCD,I am happy to say that has been a lot better .I am no longer careful to avoid contact with the "dirty floor".If I would rate it, I would say that it is around sixty percent better.However,my head pain still remains.

P.S. I'm seriously thinking of calling Dr. Dubin to do phone therapy with me.I just don't know if he would be willing to do it all by phone including the initial consultation.
Can you perhaps email me and tell me a bit about how he does his sessions with you It would be greatly apreciated.
tennis tom Posted - 03/10/2005 : 09:01:00
Dear Deer,

I went over some of our recent past posts on this topic and we seem to be going around in circles on this. I suggest you re-read some of the past answers to your question about this because they were answered more then once. With so little personal info about you we are just pissing in the wind here. If you're just staying home all day with your parents, taking the meds your pshchiatrist is giving you then you may have TMS cabin fever with an overuse of the gray matter. You sound very young and this condition is quite common in college students being suddenly thrown out into the "real" world--it's crazy out there.

You state you have hit a brickwall with your therapist. I'm not surprised because he/she is not Sarno trained. I asked you before, Since you said you were examined by Sarno and he said your pshchotic-reaction was TMS, if he had reccommended a TMS psychotherapist but you did not reply to this question. I am talking with one by phone and it can be done. You said you had two shrinks at one time, including a psychiatrist, I would suggest you make at least one a TMS one. If you are still taking all the meds your psych gave you perhaps you are foggy and that's why you are hitting a wall unable to do the TMS work. Are you taking anything else like pot? Your parents made you return home from school after seeiing Sarno. Since they seem to be calling the shots, how do they feel about Sarno, do they think he is a quack? You said you aren't going to school is that still true? What were you studying? It seem you hate school. Maybe you don't belong there at this time. Maybe you need to just get out into the real world and get a job like at Starbucks and get away from your parental pressures. Now that you have hit a brick wall and know that your symptoms are TMS, how are they--the OCD germ phobia, head pain, etc?

Good Luck
Dave Posted - 03/10/2005 : 07:49:18
If your therapist is unable to help you delve deeper than you should consider another therapist.

But to answer your question, both are important. The work of searching is imperative to the reconditioning process. You are sending a message to your unconscious that you are wading into the pool of rage despite its efforts to distract you. But for many people, that is not enough. You can't expect to actually bring unconscious emotions to the surface (Sarno knows of only one case where this actually happened) but you need to gain a firm understanding of where the internal pressure comes from.
n/a Posted - 03/10/2005 : 02:08:47
The actual work of searching, for me anyway, drip fed the message into my unconscious. Recovery kind of sneaked up on me. I began to notice that the times I was feeling well were overtaking the times I was in pain/suffering from anxiety etc.

I had many sessions of psychotherapy which helped slowly, but, and I only realised this in retrospect, surely and permanently.

I read anything I thought might be useful on anxiety conditions and found some gems among the dross. Have you widened your reading, Deer? It's not necessary for everyone, but as you say you have come into a brick wall, so it might be time to do something like that. I still find that ideas from some of those books come into my head when things get stressful.

Best wishes

Anne

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000