TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Agonizing pain

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Racer Posted - 10/24/2012 : 10:22:40
Hi,

I am new to this forum. After reading some posts in this forum, I see there is some light at the end of a tunnel. I am experiencing mild pain in my testicle, which shifts to my groin often for the past few years. When the pain shifts to the groin, there is no pain in the testicle and viz a viz, the other way as well. When I'm annoyed, tensed, it becomes worse. I get pain on my wrist as well. I do see some numbness comes and goes on my testicle.

However, after seeing several urologists/neurologists/orthopedics, etc, they all say I don't have anything, and I'm normal. All the diagnosis, reports (some taken repeatedly), always shown as unremarkable (normal).

Few days back when I visited this forum for the first time (thanks to google search), I found a topic with a link to youtube showing 12 steps for TMS. I followed it, and immediately I felt better. This is making me think whether I'm having TMS.

On hearing my story, can some one help me answering the following questions I have in mind.

1. The pain usually starts when I sit in the chair in my office, as well as home, when I lie down in bed and do my office work. I don't get the pain while driving my car for long hours. In the past I drove car for more than 6 hours (without stopping anywhere) from PA to somewhere in upstate NY. Is this because I'm focused on the road and traffic signs while driving?

2. Why I get pain in my left wrist when the pain becomes severe in genitals or just even when I think about it? Is this a symptom of TMS?

3. I feel the nerves (spermatic chord or epididymis?) in the left testicle sore, and there is tenderness to touch. When the pain is at peak I feel the pain pulsating (throbbing) in my genitals. Can TMS cause inflammation inside the genitals, is the one causing this?

4. If it is TMS, how long we need to practice the techniques to completely get out of it?

After reading this forum, I read about Dr. John Sarno. I already ordered the 2 books of him (The Mind Body Prescription and The Divided Mind). Eagerly checking the delivery status every day on when I will receive this books.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kennedyronna Posted - 09/21/2013 : 07:41:18
quote:
Originally posted by balto

I did have constant back pain for years. I did have constant anxiety for years, I did have constant knee pain for years. Yes, symptoms can stay in one place for years or move around. Nothing is predictable with tsm/anxiety symptoms.

you are very lucky you doctors didn't see anything abnormal, now all you have to do is not fearing your symptoms, believe in your doctors, live your life as if nothing is wrong with your body, destress your life... eventually your testicles will be normal again.

------------------------
No, I don't know everything. I'm just here to share my experience.

Such types of pain on the knees actually occurs whenever we do some sort of jumping. Usually occurs in athletes who are involved in jumping sports such as basketball, running and all.It can be cured when it is at its early stages by using the R.I.C.E methods i.e est,Ice,Compression,Elevation. I have read a good book on it.
If you wish to know more visit http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Patellar-Tendonitis-Treatment-Pain-free/dp/1491049731
gailnyc Posted - 03/16/2013 : 19:07:03
Racer, have you been able to get off the Valium? I recently got myself off taking a quarter pill of Ativan to help me sleep, and I did it by using Andrew Weil's breathing exercises. I do about 8-10 minutes of deep breathing/following your breath exercises, and it relaxes me and lets me sleep without any other aid.

Hope you are well.

Gail
Racer Posted - 11/12/2012 : 09:23:27
Hi Andy,

quote:

Racer, I do not know what to say about the valium, I would try replacing this with the above. How do you know the valium isn’t a placebo?

Yes, I'm completely aware about it. I will give a try reducing it, make myself tired with swimming suggested by you and TT. Planning to start sometime over next weekend.

I'm absolutely pain free in the pelvis. My "core" pain the groin and behind the scrotum is almost missing these days. I feel it all came to my head. I could visualize a bad choreography and orchestration going on in my head, which is not doing anything good to me.

There was a social withdrawal due to the chronic pain all these days. I lost a good network of my friends due to this. My life revolves around work and home (and hospital visits which I stopped now). Kind of lethargic, I need to come out of this challenge. I'm planning to go for a Violin or Flute class. I need some change, definitely.
andy64tms Posted - 11/11/2012 : 11:41:28
Hi Racer,

I agree with TT about the exercise helping you sleep. I swim twice a week at our local club, and what really tires me out is doing the full 72 laps, about a mile. If you have a pool locally that is great.

More recently I have got a trainer to help with working out with weights, as our gym has excellent equipment and machines. My trainer has shown me a complete routine of exercises that I can do at home. So I have bought a used set of dumbbells and go through about 10 exercises every day. I’ve even done this exercise routine in the middle of the night, if I wake up and become restless there is nothing worse than just lying there, sometimes in anxiety.

My sleep trick doesn’t always work, so then I have to break up the “conversation” in my head. I have to change my body “mode”. This is when I go down stairs, lift some weights and get the blood pumping. I often reward this effort with milk and cookies or raisin bran.

Getting to sleep trick:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7788
Read TT thread and his comments about the unimportance of sleep.

I think our nightmares are just thoughts, a form of distraction-TMS in fact. When you have these bad dreams perhaps try getting up and breaking that nightmare cycle with exercise activity, don’t go back to sleep without doing something. I used to do yoga, often several times a night, now I lift a few weights and do pushups etc.

Both these types of deep relaxed breathing might help with your headaches. For me this is always a good time to review what is really bothering me psychologically, I try to be honest with myself. Your lack of sleep might be causing you to be bad tempered with other people.

Racer, I do not know what to say about the valium, I would try replacing this with the above. How do you know the valium isn’t a placebo? I have reviewed my use of Tylenol PM this year. It does help sometimes, and I feel great the next day, but it is a chemical and somewhat invasive, so I limit its use.

You are doing well, good luck

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Racer Posted - 11/11/2012 : 09:58:56
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Try getting more exercise like swimming until you are so physically tired you sleep naturally. Swimming does it best for me because it makes my eyes want to close because of the irritation from the water.

Thank you TT. That's a good suggestion. I will give a try to make myself tired with swimming, and sleep. I run a lot in the past, 6-8 miles a day. I'm yet to resume my running.

As my exercises are minimal these days, I'm on a diet, and still maintaining a very good physique.

Even if I sleep naturally, I'm worried about the night mares.. Geez.. they are really terrible and rude... a sudden wakeup will cause severe headache.. I get these bad dreams very often.
tennis tom Posted - 11/11/2012 : 09:17:44
Try getting more exercise like swimming until you are so physically tired you sleep naturally. Swimming does it best for me because it makes my eyes want to close because of the irritation from the water.

G'luck

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Racer Posted - 11/11/2012 : 09:07:46
I'm taking a single valium every night to get a good 8-10 hours sleep.
With these valium, I'm getting up fresh in the morning. Pain is much better, and occasional.

I manage to walk for 3 miles in a near by park these days. Earlier when I do this, the groin pain and knee pain will start, which is not there now.

My big concern is how to stop this valium. I did try stopping it for few days. However, if I stop this, I get disturbed sleep, I get severe neck spasm, pain, and headache, pounding with hammer. I do get inner tremor, a topic started by dwinsor52, whenever I stop taking this valium.

Can someone please help how to stop it, and get a good sleep?

As I focus on my inner mind deeper and deeper, these days I'm showing my anger to my close people. I'm no longer able to take anything which I don't like. However, I feel bad for yelling at them. Why this is happening?

I'm also getting frequent night mares. I hate these dreams!
Racer Posted - 11/08/2012 : 20:55:41
In these 2 weeks after I heard about TMS, reading many topics in this forum, and the valuable thoughts shared by Dave and Andy, I could see some more results. Thank you Dave & Andy.

It is becoming more and more clear, my case is a classical TMS.

* I did not have IBS in the last 2 weeks.
* The inflamed (burning) feeling beneath the prostate is almost missing.
* The pain in the left hip in the deep psoas is almost gone.

Again, this is very early, I'm fully aware that it has to be consistent to really get excited about. I'm aware about the intimidation, so planning to go with it slowly.

As I keep focusing on addressing "me", the only challenge I'm seeing is frequent headaches, neck pain and poor sleep.

I finished reading the Mindbody Prescription. Yet to open the Divided Mind book.
Racer Posted - 11/03/2012 : 22:50:25
quote:

During the reconditioning process, expect your mind to "up the ante" and make the pain more intense, or give you different symptoms altogether. Your unconscious mind is very reluctant to give up this trick that has been working for so long to "protect" you from dangerous emotions. It will try to shake your belief in your new found knowledge. The pain might actually get worse before it gets better, and you may experience new symptoms that your mind feels are more likely to scare you. Don't let it win. Stay the course and take a long-term view.

You've predicted very well.. Whatever you posted above seem to happen.

Yesterday, instead of these wacky positions of sleep due to pain, I decided to go back to my original position of sleep, in supine, closed legs, a normal sleep position. I dint get any pain anywhere on my back or pelvis (on hip, groin, or behind testicles). I was happy to get up without any pain.

Soon I started my left wrist and fingers pain moved to my right hand as a dull pain, my left knee pain moved to my right knee briefly. And, the big one came, severe left neck pain, and severe migraine like tension headache, only on the left head, pounding with hammer.

As the "core" pain in the pelvis was missing, I didn't give much importance to this pain, remembering the "up the ante". I managed not to take any pain killers, however, beyond one point when it was very severe, I took one Advil, and went to sleep. When I got up, the headache totally gone, I could see the mind doesn't know what to do next, started focusing on the pelvis, genitals once again.

I "by-hearted" your statements in quotes above, that really helped me. Thanks for it.
Dave Posted - 11/02/2012 : 14:25:52
quote:
Originally posted by Racer
I was reading about how the mind is "programmed" in Dr. Sarno's book, where he wrote about Pavlov's dog experiments for "conditioning" the mind.

This is probably the most important part of TMS to comprehend and accept.
quote:
Guess what, I was able to sit and read the book continuously without getting up from the chair for an hour. Whenever the pain tried to show up, I absolutely denied it focusing on my emotions. I could visualize the pain dissipating slowly (like salt dissolving in water).

Good job. You are reconditioning yourself by thinking and reacting differently when you experience the pain. You must do this repeatedly over a long stretch of time for it to sink into your unconscious.

During the reconditioning process, expect your mind to "up the ante" and make the pain more intense, or give you different symptoms altogether. Your unconscious mind is very reluctant to give up this trick that has been working for so long to "protect" you from dangerous emotions. It will try to shake your belief in your newfound knowledge. The pain might actually get worse before it gets better, and you may experience new symptoms that your mind feels are more likely to scare you. Don't let it win. Stay the course and take a long-term view.

When I had terrible back spasms and started to read Healing Back Pain and it resonated with me, my pain slowly faded but a few days later, I had a severe episode of heart palpatations. I experienced constant PVCs, where it feels like your heart stops for a moment and then accelerates to get back in rhythm. It was happening about every 5 seconds, and it would not stop. I was terrified and went to a cardiologist and after a stress test, halter monitor, and echo cardiogram, he declared my heart was perfectly healthy and the PVCs were benign. Then I realized, it was TMS.

I had a similar experience several years earlier, before I even knew about Dr. Sarno. I had numbness and tingling in my arm and fingers. Convinced I had the dreaded "carpal tunnel syndrome" I had a full workup with a neurologist. He declared there was nothing wrong, and perhaps the numbness was due to the way I was sitting while using the computer. I was relieved that there was nothing seriously wrong. Almost immediately, the numbness and tingling disappeared, despite the fact that I didn't really do anything different when using a computer. Years later I realized that episode was also TMS.

It is a very clever process, but you can recondition yourself and disarm it. While you might never be able to completely eliminate the symptoms, you can get to a point where they no longer matter, and you can live your life without worrying about them. You an even learn to accept TMS symptoms as a good thing -- they are a reminder to take care of your emotional health.
Racer Posted - 11/02/2012 : 08:17:21
Thank you Andy. I went through the links shared by you in the above post.

quote:

The pain comes when you are conditioned to feel it. This is essential to understand and accept. Sitting in a chair is nothing more than a trigger to your unconscious mind to give you the pain that you expect to feel at that time.

I was reading about how the mind is "programmed" in Dr. Sarno's book, where he wrote about Pavlov's dog experiments for "conditioning" the mind.

In my first post in this topic, I mentioned about how the pain starts while sitting in a chair. It will start exactly after 10 minutes after I sit in the chair. I think my mind was programmed with a "timer" to trigger the pain in every 10 minutes.

After reading the response from Dave on "conditioning", and "programmed" mind from Dr. Sarno's book, I decided to break the "program".

Guess what, I was able to sit and read the book continuously without getting up from the chair for an hour. Whenever the pain tried to show up, I absolutely denied it focusing on my emotions. I could visualize the pain dissipating slowly (like salt dissolving in water).
andy64tms Posted - 11/01/2012 : 18:02:18
Racer,

You seem to be doing very well. I found these four 15 segment videos by Dr. Schubiner also very helpful.

http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/index.php?MBS%2FTMS%20Lecture
This is not the same one as you mentioned above.

If your pain is on the move you need to read the recent threads about pain moving locations as well as disappearing and being replaced.

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7807

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7817

Good Luck

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Racer Posted - 11/01/2012 : 10:01:58
Finished 50% of the Mindbody Prescription. On several pages, I felt the book was specifically written for me.

Also, on the 6th day of the TMS Wiki, I did watch the video presentation by Dr. Howard Schubiner. Really good, and easy to understand.

I'm trying to be "good" and "gentle" to my unconscious mind, telling to my "me" mind, I'm fully aware about the tantrums it makes, together we will identify and extinguish the rage.
Racer Posted - 10/30/2012 : 21:25:36
quote:
That's interesting, Racer - I also find I can drive without back pain, and I guess it's because I focus totally when I drive, so the distraction is there.

When I say this to doctors with whom I consulted in the past, they were non committal in giving an answer. They simply say "I don't know". Now it is very obvious, during our driving we keep the focus "off" from the TMS part of the body, instead on the road. It took quite sometime to realize this.

quote:
I'm pretty sure it's TMS because, when I scold it, it scurries to my bowel, bladder, teeth, makes me anxious, makes me dizzy, whatever.

Unlike you, I don't scold, was telling the "my"-self mind about the consequences, how it impacts me, etc. I get a feeling, "it" responds to me. While I try talking, the pain moves to my head, and I get a severe headache. For me, all these pain moves mostly on left side, from head to foot. You could visualize the palpitation, slow rhythmic, like a school bus light blinks (slowly) when it stops and off board children on the road.

I'm not expecting a dramatic pain-free body immediately. After reading Dr. Sarno's book, I have started "realizing" the rage with my "me" mind. All these days though I'm aware about them, I was thinking at conscious level.
Joy_I_Am Posted - 10/30/2012 : 14:33:33
That's interesting, Racer - I also find I can drive without back pain, and I guess it's because I focus totally when I drive, so the distraction is there.

I've had pain in my upper right back when I sit since I was a teenager. I vividly remember it hurting terribly as I did my homework after school... didn't like doing my homework, and my father would occasionally burst into the study to check I wasn't slacking off... and the door he would burst in through was to my back right side... surely no coincidence!

So I've been through the usual x-rays and exams, all fine... the pain has appeared on and off over thirty years. It's really been giving me jip the last few weeks, and I keep trying to figure why...

And I have to admit it's because I'm trying to push my career forward, and I feel conflicted about it. The feelings that come up when I journal honestly are 'This shouldn't be so hard', 'I shouldn't have to be responsible', 'I am scared I will do badly' and so on. Not very honourable thoughts... But I have to be straight about it.

I've never believed I have much of the anger that Dr Sarno cites, I thought it was all fear or anxiety... but really? I think my inner child is ANGRY at having to knuckle down to work! My teenage self - who first generated that pain - is angry at having to take on the responsibilities of the adult world! So when I sit down to my desk, the pain kicks in, and now it's starting to spread to ANY chair I sit in... so I'm quite keen to, um, sit on this!

I'm pretty sure it's TMS because, when I scold it, it scurries to my bowel, bladder, teeth, makes me anxious, makes me dizzy, whatever. I was watching The Exorcist the other night, and it reminds me of that! The priests repeating their forceful words, the demon squirming to avoid them... perhaps I should say 'It's the power of Sarno that compels thee!'

I don't seem to be answering any particular question here, but I hoped that writing it here would help it 'din in' to my head, and maybe help someone else...

Best wishes, Joy
Racer Posted - 10/30/2012 : 00:35:58
quote:
The pain comes when you are conditioned to feel it. This is essential to understand and accept. Sitting in a chair is nothing more than a trigger to your unconscious mind to give you the pain that you expect to feel at that time.

Dave,

Your statement is true. Few days ago, while watching TV, I started "feeling" the pain. I immediately realized your above post on how we are "conditioned" to feel, starting telling my mind the pain is purely "psychogenic", and there is nothing to be "terrified". Slowly within minutes the pain started to vanish. I continued to watch sitting until 3 AM before I went to bed.

However I did notice the numbness in the genital region even when the pain is reduced. As Dr. Sarno mentioned, a possible oxygen deprivation due to poor supply of blood?

Are there any suggestions (on how to tell the mind) to get good blood circulation to region having TMS?

Racer Posted - 10/26/2012 : 21:11:37
Hi Andy,

Yes, I will post a brief update in bio in my profile shortly. Please check your mail for a detailed update as well.

Andy,

For the last one week I stopped the medicines given for the nerve pain, which never helped me anytime. It does causes side effects, and I had a severe headache today after I stopped taking. Earlier whenever I take these pills, instead of calming down the nerves, it aggravates, much worse than the original state. I decided not to touch these pills anymore.
andy64tms Posted - 10/26/2012 : 10:56:37
Hi Racer,

Yes, I think you are doing too much research, I think this is classic for a new member. The clue is thinking about it all night long, and loosing sleep. When this happens to me, I back off for a few days. I took the summer off completely to read and absorb the three books on my signature. Don't over do it.

Racer, I think you are ready to post about your emotional and psychological background. Maybe a small bio?

Andy
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Racer Posted - 10/26/2012 : 09:58:39
May be it is too early, however I have a small update.

I heard about TMS hardly 6-7 days back. For the last 3 days, absolutely I don't see the burning (inflamed) sensation behind by genitals, somewhere around prostate, beneath the pubic bones. The feeling used to be horrible especially in the nights, like a wound, or small cut with blade (the one I can feeling my pelvic muscles). It is completely absent now.

However, the pain in the testicle and groin is on and off as well as in my left hand wrist.

I'm in no hurry, and not expecting an overnight magical change that all my pain will vanish instantly. I'm telling my mind that the pain I have is chronic and benign, a game being played my mind, and I will have to win this game, it will takes its own time.

I guess I'm doing too much research on TMS. My sleep is almost gone, my mind keep thinking about TMS. Eyes are burning, and not looking fresh. Severe neck pain and spasm.

Can someone respond to my question in my previous post?

Racer Posted - 10/25/2012 : 22:26:08
Something Strange.

When I started reading Dr. Sarno's book (may be it is too early to say), or when I visit this forum and read some similar stories of mine, I see there is no pain. However, it returns back shortly within couple of hours.

May be I'm focused on the parts with the chronic pain, expecting when it will return back?

When there is no pain or tenderness (though it is brief), my mind goes into an excited state, and when it returns back, it gets back into a gloomy state.

The same thing in the past, when I go and visit the urologists with terrible pain, as soon as I enter the doctor's room the pain will vanish, at times I had difficulty in showing where exactly I have the pain, and when I come out of the doctor's room, the pain will start again. However, the pain is very much the pain is REAL.

Same with the trigger point therapy I tried. The pain will vanish immediately after the therapy, however it will return back exactly within an hour. I used to return home happily, once I enter the home, the pain will come along with me.

Has anyone experienced similar to this?

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000