TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 So a funny thing happened at the beach & park.....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mala Posted - 10/07/2012 : 05:07:57
2 things.

Last week my sister, my 12 year old nephew & I went for an early dinner at a little restaurant by a beach. He brought a few things along to play with . One of them was an inflatable ball to throw around. He asked us to play & at first I said no but then I thought what the heck. We ended up throwing the ball to each other, jumping & running on the beach & in the water & having a great time. Didn't do it for very long but my sister who is 8 years younger than I am gave up before I did. Anyway. What is surprising is that I didn't feel any pain while I was playing around.

Then a few days ago we were at a park with my dog Jaspa. Jaspa does this thing where she gallops like a horse & charges at you when she's having fun. But she will always miss you by centimeters. This time I moved last minute to avoid something on the ground and she run straight into me & knocked me right off my feet. I landed on my back on the grass. One second i was standing, next minute I was down.

I thought I'd be really sore the next day but I was not too bad. Today however after 4 days my right shoulder is really really sore. Is it TMS or a real injury? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mala

Honestly, I sometimes really get fed up with my subconscious. It's like it's got a mind of its own.

Alexei Sayle
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
andy64tms Posted - 10/07/2012 : 16:10:33
Hi Mala,

As you know I windsurf, kayak and swim. I get knocks bruises and scrapes all the time. They don’t normally hurt until after the activity and normally disappear overnight, but there are some exceptions. For instance I hurt my knee this year. The pain was intense and made me inactive for about 5 minutes. I had fallen with all my weight on top of the board. I continued even with the nagging pain, and my worst fears arose that this was possibly serious; you know ‘surgery’ or ‘doctors orders to rest’.

So I went to Dr, Google and found excellent images and a perfect explanation for my problem: a minor tear of the medial collateral ligament on the inside of the knee, similar to a clipping injury in football. The suggested heal time was two to six weeks. The explanation was clear, so I bought a knee strap and continued windsurfing. The knee strap did nothing for support, but reminded me I should be careful.

This season I repeated the same injury two more times, and even succumbed to taking a Tylenol PM one night. My windsurfing continued!

Dr.Sarno in HBP says that “Pain from unaccustomed exercise is a good kind of ache, and normally goes within a day. The pain from TMS is always nasty and doesn’t go away very quickly.” I‘d like to add that some of my pains take much longer. Flesh and muscle pains are the quickest to go. My pains in ligaments, tendons and possibly nerves often take weeks as stated above.

I agree with Art, he mentions anxiety. I can say I have had no anxiety this windsurfing season, I haven’t had time for it, I’m too tired from exercise. So exercise really helps me, I feel a satisfying glow inside that supersedes any pains and I sleep better. I remember Dr Sarno in HBP stated that: “one can do anything and everything, the more strenuous the better”. I take him literally on this!

I hope you find out in several days that you have a real injury when it heals. Then you will be able to exercise ‘more strenuously’.

By the way my new working out routine at the gym is working out well, and I now know why they call it 'Work'.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
tennis tom Posted - 10/07/2012 : 08:41:44
Well it could be TMS or it could be "real"--or it could be both--hard to tell from 13,000 miles away. Probably not serious either way since you didn't feel any excruciating pain at the time, got back up and didn't need to call an ambulance. On the other hand, maybe the shock of it all masked the pain like the TMS example of the soldiers in the war not needing morphine in the hospital because their great anxiety of getting killed was relieved by being off the battlefield.

Do you see a bruise? Well, either way Mala you know the drill by now. The biggest bone in the body, the femur, heals stronger then ever within thirty days after fracturing. If you're back here talking about this a year from now it will be TMS triggered by your fall--seems very plausible. Put one of those Salonpas patches on it for some placebo effect.

G'luck

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

==================================================

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto

"The hot-dog is the noblest of dogs; it feeds the hand that bites it." Dr. Laurence Johnston Peter
======================================================

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod

=================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:
John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
art Posted - 10/07/2012 : 08:01:37
YOu're asking the wrong question, Mala. The better question is, "why am I obsessing over such things?"

Answer: You have anxiety issues which are the very bedrock of TMS. Lessen your anxiety sufficiently and your pain (in all it's many forms) will quite likely follow suit.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000