TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Article on the effect of journaling on health

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tunza Posted - 01/08/2005 : 03:21:44
I just read this interesting article which may motivate some who haven't tried journaling to start:

http://www.longnaturalhealth.com/library2.asp?A=65

Kat

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Logan Posted - 01/09/2005 : 14:04:48
I'd always kept journals, from age 10 on, but abandoned the practice around the time I turned 26 in 1996, thinking it was immature and really pointless since I could never express myself in the way that I strove to (who me? a perfectionist?) It took only two years without a written outlet for my internal pressures to reach the boiling point, I got my first TMS attack in early 1999.

For those who want to make a new year's resolution to journal, I'll tell you what I did when I resolved to start journaling again...I used the same reward system my mom used for my brother and me when we were children. I put up a calendar where I could see it every day and for each day that I journal (or work on a piece of fiction or do an anger release exercise or floss or go to the gym) I give myself a smiley face sticker. After X amount of smiley face days, I used to give myself a reward, something small but indulgent. I actually don't even worry about the reward now, I just like to be able to look at the calendar and see all those smileys, to know I am actually following through on something.

I know it sounds assinine but it works, especially if it's something I'm trying to make a good habit, there's something about the power of those stickers, some conditioning from my childhood. (Who, me? A goodist?) I'm sure they think I'm a grade school teacher when I buy them at Staples! :)
Laura Posted - 01/08/2005 : 18:27:25
Thank you so much for this interesting article. Tennis Tom told me about it on another post. Wow!

Laura
Tunza Posted - 01/08/2005 : 15:57:25
Hi Holly,

I had trouble getting started as I tend to view my ability to see things through a bit negatively and had assumed I'd start and then other things would always seem more important.

I think that we make it harder on ourselves by thinking we have to write an essay or something when we journal. Most of us have only written "creatively" at school and have horrible memories of having to read our writing out loud (oh the vulnerability!). Luckily I have found journalling to be so much easier once I got through all this. I started off with just writing short lists about things that were probably adding to my reservoir of rage. I just wanted to get into the habit. Now it is a habit. Some days I only write a couple of sentences before I go to sleep and other days I get an urge to write about one thing and then a couple of pages spill out of me.

Another thing I find useful is to have a reward in place so that you can say to yourself when I've written about just one thing that is bothering me today I can either keep going or I can do something I enjoy (for me that could be checking the forum as I find it really enjoyable and supportive or it could be eating something or watching a favourite TV show).

Remember no one is going to pull out a red pen and mark your writing!
If you have concerns that people will read what you've written then rip it up and throw it away (I did this on holiday recently).

The process is what's important not what it reads like.

Kat

holly Posted - 01/08/2005 : 12:38:38
Wow that article was very interesting especially since I am trying to overcome my adult asthma! Frankly I am too lazy to journal (except what I write on this forum). Coincidentally though this morning in bed I happened to be thinking about writing a letter to a relative to express to her my feelings about something really bad that she did to my father (her cousin). After reading this I think I will do it and send it too! When I start my group with a "TMS therapist" the end of this month in NYC I am sure they will say to journal. Boy only if I didn't hate homework!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000