TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 More questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mobius Posted - 01/05/2005 : 13:18:33
It seems to me that I have been spending a lot of time trying to ferret out whatever emotion that is being repressed by my unconscious mind. It appears to be somewhat like a prospecting trip where one is hopeful of finding the one big nugget that will release the pain. Almost like looking for a needle in a haystack. Since we don't know what is in the unconscious mind this is all guesswork although there may be just a huge accumulation of anger and rage down there and since we are constantly generating rage according to Dr Sarno then what must we do?

What if instead of the unconscious mind trying to repress these negative emotions that is has, what if it was trying to express them instead. Or, maybe the unconscious mind is like a glass of water that fills up with these emotions and then starts to overflow which in turn triggers the TMS?

Since I am a perfectionist and a goodist I can change these conditioned habits without changing my personality and stem the flow perhaps. Just my thoughts and I would welcome your comments.

Take care, Mobius
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mobius Posted - 01/06/2005 : 17:24:16
Thank you both for your very excellent replies, I find them very helpful.

Regards, Mobius
Dave Posted - 01/06/2005 : 09:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by Mobius
What if instead of the unconscious mind trying to repress these negative emotions that is has, what if it was trying to express them instead. Or, maybe the unconscious mind is like a glass of water that fills up with these emotions and then starts to overflow which in turn triggers the TMS?

At first Dr. Sarno believed that the pain was an "alternate expression" of repressed emotions. But he later refined the theory and now believes the pain is a distraction from the unconscious rage.

Personally I don't think it's very important to understand the finer details of the theory, or even to believe them. The actual mechanism of TMS is probably far beyond our comprehension. We don't have to understand exactly how it works in order to get better. We simply have to accept that the pain has an emotional origin, and recondition ourselves accordingly.
tennis tom Posted - 01/05/2005 : 16:44:56
Hi Mobious,

For the fast-track to TMS healing, don't worry about finding the historic source of the pssychogenic pain. When you get a pain sensation of dubious origin, acknowledge that it may be TMS. Acknowledge that if it is TMS pain, it is harmless. If you have time to think emotional maybe you can ferret out what's bugging you. Deal with the situation head-on and resolve it or accept it as out side of your control. The main thing is to undrstand the TMS process and lose your fear of injury and permanent damage.

Sarno writes of stopping his migranies in their tracks by just shifting his thinking to the emotional from the physical. He says he often could not find an emotional source for the pain but just by trying to, he was able to short-circuit the on set of the migraine.

As you said, your perfectionist nature directs you to find the "nugget" in your past that is causing your present TMS pain.

Just say to the gremlin, "Screw you, quit wasting my time, I've got better things to do than self-psychoanalyze all day, now get back into your hole before I kick you in the butt and you have some real pain."

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000