TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS in movies and TV

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tunza Posted - 12/29/2004 : 20:30:38
Following on from the Simpson's incorporating TMS-type subjects in some episodes (see the "Insurance" thread) I wondered if anyone seen the movie Bandits? It has Billy Bob Thornton playing a "hypochohdriac" bank robber. However, he's not the typical movie hypochondriac as he has moments of being quite aware of what's going on between his mind and body. He realises he is quite open to suggestions and conditioning.

There's a really hilarious scene when he's trying to dance with the woman he likes (played by Cate Blanchett) and he is losing the ability to use one whole side of his body. He later miraculously recovers from that bout only to have the TMS pop up elsewhere.

I'm going to buy the movie on DVD as it makes me laugh about my own
TMS.

Kat
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
polly Posted - 01/07/2005 : 11:13:37
Tunza
No apology needed for the pun stuff. I'm a hopeless one myself. Polly is actually a nickname I gave myself a while back when I was a young, rageaholic in my first business. It's short for Pollyanna Savage.

I just came off a 3 day road trip. I am amazed that I did so well. I had a few bad moments, but just kept yelling at my body to cut it out.

And yes, Anne, it is infuriating to me too when I see all this back pain nonsense on news programs and mag covers. All I hear is the ker-ching, ker-ching of medical people money off of furthering misery. I call it that because nobody ever seems to get better with the "right" bed, "right" shoes", "right" walk, "right" way to sleep. Sheesh, gives me a pain thinking about trying to move through a day with all those rules.

Polly
Tunza Posted - 01/05/2005 : 12:56:59
Right, I'm off to Meet the Fockers!

Thanks Polly and Anne (or is that Pollyanna) - sorry, I'm a shocking punner and I can't seem to stop! Maybe it's a TMS equivalent.

Anne - I notice now when I read the medical Q & A's in magazines etc that the answers almost never mention the mindbody connection and it makes me angry that people take these doctor's word for it. I'm reading Spontaneous Healing by Dr Andrew Weil which discusses in great detail the power of the medical profession to (often negatively) affect patient's recovery with their attitudes and words. I think Sarno calls this the Nocebo. Weil calls it Medical Hexing.

Kat
polly Posted - 01/02/2005 : 17:54:38
The #1 movie in the country has Barbra Streisand explaining to DeNiro how his blocked emotions are the problems for his back pain. Meet the Fockers has parts of it that are a TMS commercial.

Polly
n/a Posted - 12/30/2004 : 02:18:54
Haven't seen that movie, Kat, but my rental store has it - I'm going to rent it. I really like Billy Bob Thornton. Judging by some of the interviews I have read, he probably has TMS himself.

I find myself noticing more and more when TMS type threads appear in movies and television shows.

Another thing that I notice, with rage and disgust, is the huge amount of rubbish spouted on tv and in newspaper and magazine articles - advice on 'back problems' and other conditions - perpetuating all the old myths - advice on ways to restrict your life is what they are.

Best wishes

Anne

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000