TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has any one with 'RSI' faced similar symptoms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bhushan Posted - 04/25/2008 : 05:56:01
Hello everyone,

I have been working with TMS approach and have seen lot of improvement over the last couple of weeks. I have been able to convince myself of TMS approach but there are two symptoms which I just could not make any sense of.

I have 'RSI' in fingers(pain,tingling on typing,mouse usage etc) for almost 4 years(when it gets worse it spreads to wrist) and sometimes upper and lower back pain (no strict pattern in the back pain). As an aside, on the issue of lower back pain (mid point of buttocks actually) I never had this pain,but I consulted an ortho once(for RSI) who 'taught' me the right way of sitting in a chair (push your buttock in the chair first) and guess what within a week I had pain in that area which is probably the biggest proof of TMS (it found another area to hurt me!)

Coming back to my concern: What I have noticed especially over the last 4-5 months, is that whenever I stretch my hands (after working on the computer for some time) I feel a "string like tightness" being released from my palms. further, I can feel the fingers (especially knucles) aching when i press on them.

When I told the doctor (non TMS),he said the aching in figers on pressing could be due to malfunction of sympathetic nervous system(possible CRPS/RSD, it must be noted that the XRAY and nerve conduction tests of my arms have come out normal). For the strange stretch sensation he said it indicates that the nerves and muscles are tight.

Now i really dont care which nervous system is malfunctioning or the stretch issues, especially since I am feeling confident of recovering using TMS beliefs. But sometimes, there is this recurring fear (TMS gremlin?) which keeps reminding me of the string like sensations and aching.

Being a newbie and an over analytical preson, I just want members who had 'RSI' to confirm that my conscious belief of these symptoms being harmless is correct? Did any you people also had similar aching and string like stretch sensations?

Or is this a structural problem (again the gremlin)?

I know I might be falling into the physical symtoms obsession trap but some recomfirmation and reminder would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I just wrote the above with no pain! so I am feeling great but want to kill this last nagging doubt out of my mind once and for all.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bhushan Posted - 05/03/2008 : 03:55:48
Hi Koukla, I read your success story, it was inspiring I waiting for the day when I will post my success story on this forum also!

and DrGUID, Glad to hear of your recovery. Infact, a month back I was almost on the verge of quiting my job. But i got to know of Nate success story and therafter Dr. Sarno's book. As a result my entire mindset has changed. While somtime back I used to be depressed thinking about how I will manage my job now I am confident that I can work and work as hard as others. Why? because I have also realised that RSI is indeed psychological and there is no physical problem. I am still not 100% cured, somewhere around 70% but now I am not scared of doing my daily tasks and typing (infact, now i use my laptop regularly without external keyboard/mouse)

Thanks again to everyone for the encouraging words!
DrGUID Posted - 05/02/2008 : 04:35:21
Hi bhushan,

I'm a programmer so I use a computer all day.

One year on from using the TMS approach I am still largely free of RSI. I do have the odd relapse but I put that down to occasional injuries (e.g. carrying heavy shopping), the after effects of colds or particularly stressful days. I no longer have RSI type symptoms that linger over the weekend, and I have no problems chopping food and stuff.

I am now convinced that RSI is largely psychological - it's a pity that I read about TMS while relocating jobs, as if I had kept the same job I had I could have known for sure that reading Dr Sarno's books was the only thing that cured me.

This time last year I was on the verge of giving up my careeer. Instead I moved to a less stressful day job, and had the confidence to carry on with my small software business, which is now achieving sales growth I wouldn't have dreamt of last year .

Good luck!
koukla Posted - 05/01/2008 : 17:34:32
I had the same "string like" feeling when I had "rsi." I am completely normal now and have not had any pain since Christmas. I work at a job doing a lot of typing and don't have a problem at all. My success story is posted on the success stories forum if you'd like to read it.
bhushan Posted - 04/25/2008 : 21:47:54
Thanks a lot ACL for clarifying my doubts, feel lot better now!

and Doug, thanks to you too. You hit the nail on the head. Infact I have no symptoms of RSD(unless if you consider the ache on pressing the finger joints, which I feel, is more explained by ACL' view of being residual ache). Despite this, the Doctor actually diagnosed me with RSD and scared the hell out of me

When I repeatedly asked about the basis of such diagnosis, he said that you are showing signs of RSD and would get it if you dont take treatment now. WTH, If I had not found about TMS and read experiences of people who have recovered (Nate, Rachel, Hilary, ACL etc), I probably would have got it simply because of being frightened by RSD

The diagnosis of that doctor was more because the 'typical' approach has failed to remove my symptoms, i.e trigger point message, mysofacial massage etc. Thus he reached CRPS by elimination. Not even once did he thought of the pain being due to psychological reasons.

I want to recover completely, not just in order to regain my normal pre 'injury' life but also to show the doctor as to how ill informed he is.
salamander Posted - 04/25/2008 : 09:00:56
"malfunction of the sympathetic nervous system"?
"RSD"?

Oh boy, I went through the same nightmare experiance with a doctor years ago for a supposed knee problem where I was diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic distrophy). What a crock of doodoo.

First off, the list of symtoms of RSD are much more extensive than what you describe....temperature changes, shiny skin, decreased bone density, extreme pain, sensitivity to touch (it hurts alot if you touch the skin in the area)...etc....

2nd, Sarno lists RSD as a TMS equivalent in his book.

3rd, TMS has also been described by DR._______ (another TMS Dr) as an overload of the autonomic (sp?) nervous system. Which, if you use it in the context that your problem is being decribed to you, fits the TMS mold.

I'm no Dr., but it sure sounds like TMS to me.

Regards,

Doug

armchairlinguist Posted - 04/25/2008 : 08:18:27
Yes, you're fine. The stretching thing is definitely just tight muscles, which of course are just TMS. Aching is just residual from having had pain. Funny how doctors will make up something ominous when there's a very simple explanation!

You sound like you're doing great. Congratulations!

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000