TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What to do?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MRosenthal Posted - 12/01/2004 : 06:03:14
Does anyone have suggestions for me since I don't live in NYC. I live in Delaware and cannot find either a TMS Doctor or a psychotherapist who works with TMS. There have got to be people with back pain outside that area.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim D. Posted - 12/01/2004 : 14:38:54
MRosenthal:
I recommend the Sarno tapes. They don't say anything not found in the books, but (for me, at least) the impact of hearing and seeing the doctor is greater. He is insistent that one must believe in the TMS theory to get better. It is also helpful to listen to various patients describe their symptoms and explain how they improved. I find that I go back to the tapes whenever I have a relapse.
polly Posted - 12/01/2004 : 14:16:00
Dave,
Very well put. I have a friend that has been suffering with all kinds of "spine" problems. She went to see Sarno a few years ago. When she didn't get better, Sarno told her she just didn't get it.

Two weeks ago I gave her a copy of MBP. She started getting better right away. Sometimes seeing him is not the answer. The book and the work always is.

Polly
plainchant Posted - 12/01/2004 : 11:49:00
And maybe get his videos. I've never seen them, but I suspect that there is additional benefits to receiving TMS information from an audio/visual source, as I was helped by Dr. Brady's video tapes. I have never read a single post anywhere of Dr. Sarno telling anyone he met with anything in addition to what you can learn in his books. It seems to me, if you tell him you have trouble sleeping, he tells you to take a sleeping pill. If your TMS is persistent, he tells you you need psychotherapy. It's all very cut and dried, so seeing him in person is unlikely to be a magic bullet. So read all three of his books and watch his videos (which will cost less than the cost of an airline ticket) before getting desperate to see him.
Dave Posted - 12/01/2004 : 11:11:32
MRosenthal,

Even if you lived in NYC, if you were truly honest with yourself and with Dr. Sarno, he would probably refuse to see you.

It is imperative that you are willing to accept the psychogenic basis for your symptoms. Clearly you have not reached that point yet. I suggest you continue to read Dr. Sarno's books until the ideas sink in, and until you can honestly say to yourself that you believe it applies to you.

There are many people who simply cannot get to that point, and they would not benefit at all from seeing Dr. Sarno, which is why he refuses to see them.
polly Posted - 12/01/2004 : 09:57:10
MRosenthal,
You can write him and tell him you are willing to take the trip to NY.

Dr. Sarno really believes that most patients, if not all, can get what they need from the books he's written. I don't think that the progress is significantly different if you see him.

My suggestion would be to read MBP and see where that takes you. If you've already read it, read it again. I also suggest the workbook by Shecter that you can find through this site. I've been to his lectures, but you can now get them on tape.

I've recently been re-devastated with problems and going back to MBP is really helping.

Good luck.
Polly
MRosenthal Posted - 12/01/2004 : 08:32:59
How can I see him if he will not see or speak to anyone outside of his area. Delawarians cannot attend.
holly Posted - 12/01/2004 : 07:29:44
Matt,
Try to make a 7-10 day "working vacation" to see Sarno, attend one of his monthly group sessions plus one private psychotherapy session. With some advance planning you can pull it off. It would probably change your life and be well worth the effort. Just do it!!

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000