TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Fred Amir's "9 steps to recovery" book

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Toronto Posted - 11/29/2004 : 13:28:20
I recently purchased "The MindBody Workbook" by David Schechter. I don't find it really helpful.

I personally prefer to concentrate on my own physiological problems once the pain comes and write my own journal.

Did anyone find Fred Amir's "9 steps to recovery" useful? What are the techniques he uses? I would like to get your opinions before I purchase this book.

Thanks ALL!!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Toronto Posted - 11/30/2004 : 08:22:05
Thanks all, your opinions mean a lot to me. I will order Fred Amir's book. I can not buy it here in Canada.
Kavita Posted - 11/30/2004 : 08:19:43
Hi Toronto!

I did find Amir's book helpful because of the optimism he projects. Amir suffered horribly and was able to recover using the strategies he provides in his book. I find the strategies useful because they are a way of channelling energy into something constructive and positive. I really like how Amir focuses on being positive; this is so refreshing after being depressed for months. Amir also describes the strategies well, such as imagery (i.e. visualizing yourself kicking down walls of pain). I think you have nothing to lose, and much to gain.
Michele Posted - 11/30/2004 : 07:32:46
I have all 3 books, plus 2 of Sarno's books! (I love to read!) Dr. Schechter's workbook at least taught me how to journal. I can now pick up my blank notebook and begin journaling with more ease. But I like Schechter's workbook when I seem to be stuck and I can answer a question - it gets me to think.

I have both books by Sopher and Amir, and I like both. I do prefer Sopher's book as it is very no-nonsense, and so is he. I, too, received an email and a phone call from the good doctor. He does not diagnose, but will listen to your history and simply assure you that you're on the right path. I like Amir's enthusiasm for recovery, and some of the ideas he gives for recovery.

I take what I need from each, and they are all good to simply have around and pick up to read bits and pieces.
Irish Jimmy Posted - 11/29/2004 : 20:01:46
Toronto, Amir's book is good. Like Mala said, it offers his account of his own recovery and the strategies he used. He talks about short and long term goal setting, visualization, positive thinking and self discipline, to name a few. It is a good book, I recommend it. But, Sopher's book is better. After reading Sarno's books and having a good understanding of TMS, Both Sopher's and Amir's are benefitial.
If I was going to buy one or the other, I would buy Sopher's.
Good luck.
mala Posted - 11/29/2004 : 19:09:09
Toronto,
Like you, I ordered Scehcter's Workbook but was not impressed. I think the main reason is that I had seen a video of Schecter in a video about tms and did not like him. I'm not sure why but I didn't like the way he spoke. He doesn't smile a lot nor does he seem friendly but that's my bias and it affected my perception of him which affects how much I believe in him. Again this is my personal bias and I'm sure that there are many people who have seen him who will tell you otherwise.

I immediately fell for Marc Sopher though, the way he comes across in his writing and also the fact that he answered my emails so promptly and so warmly.

I like Amir's book because it's not written by a doctor. It's an intelligent layman's account of how he overcame tms and I think he got Sarno's approval to mention him and his work with tms. He had a multitude of problems and was able to resolve them quite quickly and has helped lots of other people. There is a rapid recovery forum too if you are interested.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000