TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What helped you the most?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Toronto Posted - 11/22/2004 : 19:49:59
I read all Dr. Sarno's books, listened his tapes, have the Dr. Schechter Workbook and ordered Dr.Sarno's video which should get in the next week or so.

I have back pain which is getting better on some days and on some days is even worse then before. I know it is TMS and fully believe in Dr.Sarno's theory. Any time I get the pain I try to focus on pcyhological, not physical and I am stil re-programming my brain. And also doing my journal (started 2 weeks ago). I started this whole process a month ago.

Would you recommend to stay focused on what I am doing now or search and read the new books as well?
When I think about the new books I get the headache since it looks like that I am still looking for everything to know about (this is one of the perfectionist's behaviors, always looking for better and more, what you have is never enough).

Please advice.

Thanks

By the way, has anyone else read Dr. Sopher's book "To Be or Not to Be... Pain-Free: The Mindbody Syndrome"? Would you recomend it?

Have anyone read "Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain: A Nine-Step Recovery Plan" from Fred Amir? Did you like it?

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Toronto Posted - 11/24/2004 : 08:15:19
Thank you all for your advices and encouragement!! It is very encouraging to read your success stories. You are great.

I will keep reading and re-reading. Will give you an update how it goes...
Dave Posted - 11/23/2004 : 19:21:59
quote:
I started this whole process a month ago.

Stop keeping track; it's a sure way to get discouraged.

We know that to lose weight and keep it off, it requires a lifelong change in the way we think about food. Diets don't work. Slow, steady progress is the way to lose weight and keep it off.

Think of TMS in the same way. There is no "fix." It requires a fundamental change in the way we think about chronic pain and other symptoms. It takes time to get results. But that's OK, because you have all the time in the world: the rest of your life.
Agata Posted - 11/23/2004 : 15:54:18
A month is probably not enough to reprogram your brain. Don’t be discouraged, continue reading books and improvement will come. It happened to me two different ways. Suddenly, on day the pain in my back was gone. The other symptom, my stomach problems improved gradually that I didn’t realized the improvement until the problem was gone.
It will happen for you too!!!
Agata
plainchant Posted - 11/23/2004 : 10:30:12
Yes, I've read Dr. Sopher's book and would recommend it in addition to Dr. Sarno's three books. I think it is helpful because he specifically names many TMS eqivilents that Dr. Sarno does not, and I found this pschologically beneficial as proof that certain things were in fact TMS. You can download it for less than $5 and it can help you during a relapse. Every bit of TMS knowledge out there is important, or this forum would have no need to exist. Dr. Brady's video tapes have essentially ended a recent relapse I had over the last month. And as I mentioned several times, Dr. Claire Weekes' "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" provides specific help for those with TMS equivilent anxiety that does not contradict or hinder Dr. Sarno's teachings. It has helped many TMSers.
tennis tom Posted - 11/23/2004 : 09:10:53
Dear Toronto,

I would stick with Sarno's books. Everything you need to know to get better is contained between those covers. I have a stack of books, I've seen recommended on the board, that I have yet to crack. I'm sure they are of value, and maybe, before I die, I'll read them-and maybe not.

Everything one needs, to "cure" themself of TMS is in MBP. It's kind of like ice cream; they make 47 flavors but surveys say ,the most popular flavor is vanilla-it's all ice cream.

I recall years ago, having a check-up at my old-fashioned family doctor. I was amazed by the stacks of literature and medical journals piled high in his office. I thought to myself, there's no way he will ever read all those. He had back surgery shortly thereafter. I asked him if he had ever heard of Sarno-"no"- I dropped it their. He is old school and when I have a sports injury he usually diagnoses it as "soft-tissue". This means take it easy for a week or two and it will heal by itself. But he sent me for x-rays for my hip, since I'm athletic,(couldn't leave well enough alone), and the radiological report came back hip arthritis-yuck-how mundane-not even piriformis syndrome or trocnateric bursitis?-this won't play well at the club. So then it's off to the orthopedist for futher review.

If you're looking for trouble you'll find it. I had been schooled on Sarno by then, and made it clear, "no surgery!" (and he didn't have a mortgage payment due that day). The surgeon said no need to rest. Keep doing what I was doing and come back for hip replacement when the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep and I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes.

I am way beyond that, no pain while sleeping-but do have some trouble bending over to tie my shoes-but I'm working on that one too-there's always velcro.

I have gotten to the point where I am 100% physicaly and PSYCHOLOGICALY functional for normal day to day activity. I can walk miles, sit for hours, lie in bed with no pain, drive non-stop cross country and back, and fly anywhere. After a two hour session, I was adjudged "sane" by a Sarno-knowledgeble psychotherapist.

The only physical limitation I have is running hard on the courts. I am working on it and and am hopeful of 100% recovery in that function also.

I do have some emotional issues. I am a contrarian and tend to be a loner. I think this is because by the end of the day I'm so tired, I don't have the energy to socialize and don't suffer fools well. I don't like the direction our politicians are taking the world, closer to nuclear anialation, while making us into their useful idiots-other than that I am happy go lucky, have a good sense of humor, (IMHO), and whistle while I work.

One bad habit I have is going off on tangents while posting. No one is forced to read them so other then band-with issues for Dave. I guess I'm not doing any harm (goodist guilt concern). After Monte's last post, I guess I'm more like a writer for fortune cookies. (No offence Monte, I'll read your post maybe this weekend, those are all good folks and I bought your book too!).

So, to make a long post a little longer, you don't NEED to read anything besides Sarno's MBP to "cure" yourself of TMS pain (after checking for the infamous tumor but don't get fooled by the anomalies). If you still have TMS psychogenic pain read it again. If your TMS pain goes away and then comes back, read it again.

I think trying to read every self-help book is a TMS distraction.

Hope this helps, it helped me,
tt

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000