TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Relaxation Response

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnO Posted - 06/25/2007 : 14:37:25
Has anyone had any experience with Herbert Benson’s “Relaxation Response” which espouses meditation to relax the pain away? I have just started reading it? Does it help with TMS? Does the whole idea of meditation and stress relief complement TMS approach? Is stress even a part of TMS suffering?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JohnO Posted - 06/26/2007 : 09:17:04
I agree. I run endlessly and am good when I run but then it ramps up again. I'll try the meditation. With my luck, that will be good while I meditate and then ramp up afterwards.
art Posted - 06/26/2007 : 09:14:46
I'm the world's worst meditator. I just can't do it. IN the best case, I fall asleep. In the worst, I'm bored outof my skull...

I agree that running or intense aerobic exercise can work wonders...Long slow distance running can in itself, be quite meditative...For those of us who suffer from stress and anxiety, I think some form of relaxtion work is essential..

As Dave point out...not a magic bullet. Just one more arrow in the quiver, if you don't mind my mixing up a few metaphors...
Dave Posted - 06/26/2007 : 08:36:27
Meditation can be helpful if it works for you. Howard Stern is one famous Sarno patient who made it part of his routine. Anything you can do to free your mind of the spiraling thought process that leads you down the road of anxiety or fear of physical problems can be useful.

However, it is important not to look for any magic bullet. Keep doing the work and take a long term view. Anything else you add to the recipe such as meditation should be viewed as a tool and not a solution.
Fox Posted - 06/26/2007 : 08:21:35
I used it for about 6 months pre-Sarno. It was very easy to implement. It seemed to be very effective for relieving anxiety but made no dent in my sciatica. I ended up abandoning it because I was also running 6 miles a day, was having trouble finding time to do both, read "Positive Addiction" by William Glasser - which compared the two approaches and concluded that running was more effective a stress reliever and "mind expander", so I stopped the Relaxation Response....I may need to go back to the Relaxation Response because, despite my good results with Sarno, running still gives me great leg pain - after the run - (yet I can brisk walk 60 minutes a day with no problem - go figure - must be conditioning - but I'm too chicken to keep running and try to ignore the intense pain until I can beat the conditioning). (Walking long distances gives me some level of relaxation but not the deep relaxation and euphoria of running an hour.)
Paul Posted - 06/25/2007 : 17:55:53
Oh, I know what you mean...trust me.

I did relaxation for quite some time, but never stuck with it...so basically, no. It takes some real dedication to stick with it for sure.
JohnO Posted - 06/25/2007 : 15:50:09
Paul -- did you try it? We're both in the same boat with this misery. It is so miserable as you know that I actually am sometimes jelaous of the neck and back sufferers who post, not to belittle their maladies, but you know what I mean...........
Paul Posted - 06/25/2007 : 15:31:49
John,

There was a doc online that said the only way to beat levator ani syndrome was to do skilled relaxation twice a day...everyday. And the key component was reaching the "relaxation response". He said it can take months to work.

Just for your info...

Paul

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000