TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
 All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sharing--New to Board--Glad I Found You!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rjm Posted - 06/21/2007 : 09:52:58
I've been reading through the postings here the last few days and am so glad to have found this board so I can share with others going through what I am going through. When I tell others about this normally they say things like "stress is part of life and you've been stressed lots of times withot this happening". They just don't get it.

I discovered about Dr. Sarno about three months ago when my Dad sent me "Healing Nack Pain". At the time my back was not bothering me, it was my right leg's outer calf that kept locking up and cramping (although I had a back issue last Fall). The so-called Doctors told me that they couldn't find anything physical and didn't know what to do with me. They wanted me to have a back MRI but I refused after reading Sarno as I didn't want to give them any ammo--I only agreed to a leg one, just to ensure there was nothing medically wrong. There was nothing.

I agreed to read the book and really saw myself in it like so many, and am pretty sure I can identify two triggering events that started the leg pain. I am very open to mindbody stuff after my first exposure to Dr. Andrew Weil, and I had no trouble accepting the TMS diagnosis at first. I read all of Sarno's other books and again saw myself in the books, but the reading alone wasn't making it better.

Suddenly, a few weeks later, my husband was sick and I had to run out to the store and get some meds for him and as I was driving back, my calf was starting to do the old cramping/locking up thing and at that point I had enough so I literally yelled at my leg saying "I am sick of you--enough of this s---!" and that's the first time self-talk worked.

I was hungry for more specific resources on using Sarno's theories, so I found Dr. Schecter's workbook and DVD/ausio CD's that also helped. I could swear that as I write I feel my leg loosen up as if it knows I am talking about it! About two months ago I felt that I was operating at about 80%--a huge stride and then suddenly I woke up one morning with the calf cramping/locking up in the left leg where I never had any problem. Then I made the mistake of feeling that perhaps the mind body approach had only gotten me so far, but there must be something physical that is affecting the other 20%.

I stopped journaling in Dr Schecter's workbook and off I went on an alternative approach junket--I was in my local Wild Oats natural market every few days trying to supplement more magnesium, thinking my electrolytes were low, trying various homepathic remedies, experimenting with tonic water (for quinine supposed to help leg cramps), going in the hot tub, new strecthing exercises, massage therapy (two sessions left me worse than before) and I even tried Flexiril muscle relaxant (which made me feel horrible and actaully made my legs hurt more--no surprise I hate taking meds and I am sure my mind rebelled against it).

In trying to see what could get rid of the other 20%, I now had cramping/tightness leg pains in both calves, and I was in agony waking up every morning with this as well as whenever I sat for too long. Now I was operating at 50% or less some days--genius move.

I also reminded myself that I was better off before using the mind body approach, and the fact that since reading Sarno's stuff initially months ago, I was doing lots of physical activity long-distance walking, and I started working with a personal trainer to get back into weight training and kickboxing (although not high kicks just yet) even when I didn't feel my greatest--how bad physically could my body be?

So I dusted off my mindbody workbook (I love to write anyway as you can see) and started self-talk again, and I feel that I am headed back in the right direction and am trying to be patient with myself to heal as I see from experiences others have that it often takes people a long time. I have had the calf issues now for nearly 8 months, but I believe I can eventually get through this. I am now going to read Fred Amir's stuff and some other Dr. Weil stuff for further mind body approach support.

So that's my two cents for what its worth--hope it helps some of you out there like reading your posts has helped me.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
h2oskier25 Posted - 06/21/2007 : 15:43:51
Gemma,

Yes, thanks, the Waterskiing just got fabulous down here. The water is glassy. I'm having a great time.

rjm, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

You sound like you're on the right track yelling at the pain. I did that some. Since you are such a writer, your journaling will be very effective I would wager.

Your Dad is certainly progressive, huh?

Regards,

Beth
Gemma_Louise Posted - 06/21/2007 : 15:31:52
Hi Beth,

I'm doing ok thanks. Yeah, the job sounds good. It's still a support kind of role, but it's within a really progressive company and is more challenging and varied.

Hope you are enjoying life in sunny Florida!

Gemma

'Stop being so hard on yourself...it's not good for your health' - Shine, Take That
h2oskier25 Posted - 06/21/2007 : 15:26:04
Hi Gemma,

How are you doing? Glad to hear about your success with the interviews. Well done. Hope it's along the lines of something you'll enjoy more than your current position.

I'll keep a good thought.

Love the new Postscript!!

Beth
Gemma_Louise Posted - 06/21/2007 : 14:59:25
Thank you Hilary. I've been offered a second interview so I guess I must have done something right!

'Stop being so hard on yourself...it's not good for your health' - Shine, Take That
HilaryN Posted - 06/21/2007 : 14:50:41
Nice to hear your story, rjm.

All the best with it.

I hope your interview went well, Gemma Louise.

Hilary N
Gemma_Louise Posted - 06/21/2007 : 13:00:37
Welcome rjm. As has already been said, it's quite common for people to revert to physical methods/ways of thinking out of desperation and fear. It's hard to un-do years of conditioning. We are all told from a young age that pain has a physical cause.

Be prepared if the pain starts to move around too, as this is quite common in TMS, as your brain tries to fool you and keep you focused on the physical. I started with back pain and then had right hand/wrist pain. Today I developed a new one - pain under my left armpit. I had a job interview today, so I know this is TMS trying to distract me from stressing. I was incredibly anxious all morning before my interview and my IBS flared up and I felt physically sick. Then the armpit pain started and still hasn't completely gone. Before I discovered TMS I would be worrying about the pain, but now I'm not. I just laugh it off and tell myself 'so this is the latest trick my brain's playing'.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there, just felt like sharing that...it's been a tough old day...competency based interviews are just the WORST!

I hope you have success with the Sarno approach
sensei adam rostocki Posted - 06/21/2007 : 11:51:52
Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing an experience that many of us have endured. The "old second guessing" is a common problem for patients trying to use a purely psychological approach, but reverting to some physical methods out of desperation or fear. I hope you continue to make progress and can eventually be completely symptom free. - Sensei

CURE-BACK-PAIN(dot)ORG

TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000